No door decorations?!?

jwinrich

I read on a website that NCL no longer allows door decorations? Does anyone have experience with this? I usually make an 8" x 10" magnetic sign with our names on it for our doors. We are cruising with 2 other couples and I made a sign for each cabin. Is this not allowed?

What about dry erase boards? I find that they are helpful in keeping track of people, leaving notes for friends when we are headed out somewhere.

Thanks for your help!

On the Getaway in March the doors were non-magnetic (at least as far as I can tell) and we tried a dry erase board which did not stick.

We just bought the $5 per person messaging for our phone and we were able to keep track of each other that way.  If you just want to do it for the decoration, I'm afraid, you are out of luck.

20 minutes ago, jwinrich said:

I read on a website that NCL no longer allows door decorations? Does anyone have experience with this? I usually make an 8" x 10" magnetic sign with our names on it for our doors. We are cruising with 2 other couples and I made a sign for each cabin. Is this not allowed?

What about dry erase boards? I find that they are helpful in keeping track of people, leaving notes for friends when we are headed out somewhere.

Thanks for your help!

There have been door decorations on every cruise we have taken post restart. Enjoy!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, jwinrich said:

Thanks for your help!

A dry erase board on the outside of the suite door?

27 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

A dry erase board on the outside of the suite door?

They're fun! You can leave notes for your friends/family. Or tell them where you're going - "Headed to ...for breakfast".  You can buy magnetic ones - especially now when kids are getting stuff for their lockers.

21 minutes ago, cruisekitty22 said:

Not allowed per the rules.

This used to be stated in the dailies, too. However, the crew is either selective in the enforcement or NCL has done away with the ban. I haven't seen it listed in recent dailies but maybe someone has seen it in the dailies recently. 

4 minutes ago, jwinrich said:

They're fun! You can leave notes for your friends/family. Or tell them where you're going - "Headed to ...for breakfast".  You can buy magnetic ones - especially now when kids are getting stuff for their lockers.

Agree,  much better than toting a phone around.

4 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

It was a few years ago that someone posted the following....

67531833_703356686793910_423571654281946

...but recent dailies don't seem to have it from what I've seen. 

Being a safety concern makes sense to me

I like to put decorative magnets on the door -- sometimes seasonal stuff, sometimes just flower designs.  In ten or so cruises, we have been asked to take it down once (that was on the Jewel, pre-pandemic.)  Therefore, in my highly anecdotal experience, you can decorate your door 90% of the time 🙂 

Edited by trivimp
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jwinrich said:

I usually make an 8" x 10" magnetic sign with our names on it for our doors. We are cruising with 2 other couples and I made a sign for each cabin.

Are you certain that your friends want their names posted on their door?  I sure wouldn't.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jwinrich said:

More power to you! I'm glad you find them fun. We certainly have different definitions of fun, but hey your idea doesn't do anything to hamper my vacation so have at it!

Just expect that someone is going to draw a big [you know what] on your whiteboard. Of course this would never be me!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Reminded me of this thread from a few years ago. 🙂

That's fun! I might just do that, too!  I bought a pack of magnetic paper and need to use it for something!

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Are you certain that your friends want their names posted on their door?  I sure wouldn't.

If not, it's easy enough to take down - just a magnet. And it's just first names, so not sure why it would be a big deal? I've read that some travel agents will make pictures of everyone in their group and put their FACES on the door. Now that would be weird for me. 

• Like 1

I’ve been doing a lot of reading and research on how to support people with Alzheimer’s or dementia when traveling and one suggestion that comes up often is to put a photo of the individual on their cabin door.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jwinrich said:

If not, it's easy enough to take down - just a magnet. And it's just first names, so not sure why it would be a big deal? I've read that some travel agents will make pictures of everyone in their group and put their FACES on the door. Now that would be weird for me. 

Yeah, that was what I was guessing/hoping.  That said, I would prefer nothing, but if your friends are game than have fun! 😎