Taxis at Fort Lauderdale Train Statioin

jmcancruise

DH and I will be arriving in the evening on the Silver Star.  Just wondering if anyone knows if taxis are regularly there when trains arrive.  Also is there  a pay phone available should we need to call one.  We will not be travelling with a cell phone.

I arrived in Fort Lauderdale on the Silver Meteor and the train was running late.  There were a few taxis already at the station when I got off the train.  I had to retrieve my checked baggage which took a few minutes.  By then, all of the taxis were gone.  A scattered few came by and there were times when none would appear.  I had anticipated this and is one reason why I bought my first cell phone.  I had taken with me the phone numbers of 2 or 3 taxi companies (Yellow Cab is the largest, I believe).  I decided to call Yellow Cab.  One cab appeared, but, someone else flagged it down before it got to me.  Then, another one appeared and I was able to flag it down.  

27 minutes ago, jmcancruise said:

We are Canadian and would not be able to use it once we got back on this side of the border.  We have one, but it is also a pay as you go and can not use it on that side of the border.

I suggest you have a Plan B and Plan C.  Plan B might be having the Amtrak agent(s), maybe two agents, call for a taxi.  Plan C?  

If you decide on getting a phone that can be used in the US, I am a customer of Consumer Cellular.  They have some inexpensive plans and an inexpensive flip phone.  Mine cannot be used outside the US, but, I have never investigated with them as to whether it could be.  

Clarifying that this is the Tri-Rail / Amtrak train station in Fort Lauderdale FL. Address is 200 SW 21st Terrace. 

There are two other stations in the immediate area. Tri-Rail (but not Amtrak) serves the Fort Lauderdale Airport / Dania Beach train station, south of this station on the same train line.  BrightLine serves its own Fort Lauderdale train station a few miles east on Broward Boulevard, in downtown.

Pay phones are virtually non-existent in this country now (they just removed most of them here in NYC recently). You will probably be out of luck if you don't have a cell phone. I also have Consumer Cellular, and it's very inexpensive.

Edited by Langoustine
  • Like 1

We arrived into Fort Lauderdale late and there were very few taxis available.  The train will have WiFi.  I would suggest ordering an Uber using the train's wifi as you approach Fort Lauderdale station.  

Edited by M&JfromSDL