Covid Treatment on Board if Necessary

jwilcox

We're planning on being super careful, but Covid has a way of hitting even people who are taking precautions. So Im curious if anyone here knows whether the ship medical staff provide treatment, or just isolate the passenger and wait for them to get over it. Also wondering about the availability of Paxlovid. Does anyone know if ships carry a supply of it to administer if someone tests positive?

From experience with a friend who got Covid on board… the ships medical team will be there for you if you get Covid.. you will be isolated in your cabin and the medical staff will check on you at least daily and provide the onboard care they think you need. You will be asked to isolate for a minimum of 5-6 days. Food from the regular menus will provided and if you don’t already have it I believe you will get free internet. 
after the isolation period if you test negative you will be released from isolation. I do not know what happens if you continue to test positive. If you have symptoms you will probably have to isolate longer. I do not know if they have paxlovoid on board.  We were able to get a prescription filled for it from our dr before we left. Fortunately we did not get it. Nor was the much evidence of others getting it.  Nothing was announced about it on our cruise. We were one of the few people wearing masks in public places the entire voyage. 

9 hours ago, jwilcox said:

We're planning on being super careful, but Covid has a way of hitting even people who are taking precautions. So Im curious if anyone here knows whether the ship medical staff provide treatment, or just isolate the passenger and wait for them to get over it. Also wondering about the availability of Paxlovid. Does anyone know if ships carry a supply of it to administer if someone tests positive?

My husband and I who are both 4 times vaccinated and were super careful  - both got covid on our June Cruise. He tested positive first so we were separated as I was negative (I was isolated in our original suite and he was moved to balcony cabin.  following day I was positive. He was moved back to original cabin after 2 days.  We were both handed 3 packets of a paracetemol tablet and one packet of night time flu and cold powder.  I never heard from any medical staff for 3 days.  After 6 days we received phone call to say we could leave cabin. No further tests were taken.  When we left ship we were given letters stating we were covid free. This is my experience.

• Like 1

How did you know you had Covid? Did you have symptoms and then test or was there routine testing? I'd never have known I had Covid on our river cruise in April if we hadn't had to be tested every day. The majority of us didn't have symptoms either as we found when finally freed from our quarantine (in an airport hotel)

I am twice vaccinated and double boosted, yet got COVID anyway (at home). My primary care physician ordered Paxlovid, but there were many considerations to be made (including current prescriptions as well as kidney functioning). It would surprise me if ship’s physicians prescribed this drug routinely,  I would not count on it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CYNSport said:

I am twice vaccinated and double boosted, yet got COVID anyway (at home). My primary care physician ordered Paxlovid, but there were many considerations to be made (including current prescriptions as well as kidney functioning). It would surprise me if ship’s physicians prescribed this drug routinely,  I would not count on it.

Ditto for me.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

How did you know you had Covid? Did you have symptoms and then test or was there routine testing? I'd never have known I had Covid on our river cruise in April if we hadn't had to be tested every day. The majority of us didn't have symptoms either as we found when finally freed from our quarantine (in an airport hotel)

Husband had heavy head cold we had our own tests with us and reported results to medical centre.