Emerald Princess - 1 to 13 August British Isles

LT Hambone

Hi!

Currently on the Emerald Princess 1 to 13 August British Isles cruise, just wanted to post some thoughts and take any questions.

The Good!

• Embarkation was a breeze. We had our medallions, COVID tests, passports, etc. all ready to go, so we made it through in record time!
  • The ship is in pretty good shape. Yes, it's showing it's age in places, but overall very clean with crew constantly wiping down and cleaning everything.
  • Service is also really good considering they are operating with a reduced crew. Haven't had to wait more than a minute or two for a drink or food. Our cabin stweard is also amazing!
  • The food is better than expected. Yes, this is subjective, and yes, we've had a few misses, but overall the quality has been pretty good!
  • The Unlimited Beverage Package is a lot of fun!
  • The Medallion App is also a great tool, once you get it too work properly. Please see below.

The Bad!

• Due to the reduced crew, live evening entertainment options are very limited. No fancy shows in the theater, just a few musical reviews.
  • The internet is just ok - sufficient for checking emails, surfing the internet, and writing posts on Cruise Critic. But not fast/reliable enough for anything more taxing. For most people, this is ok, but if you're expecting to stream Netflix on your sea day, you'll be dissapointed.
  • Tendering - yes, I know it's a neccessary evil! Guernsey was fine because Princess used local boats to help out, but Dublin was painful. Just six ship tenders, a long ride out to the boat, and a very rough/windy day made for a very long day of tendering. So long we left Dublin almost two hours late! Looking forward to Edinburgh tendering.....
  • The Medallion app is garbage! Until you figure out how to use it, that is. If you log in with your Princess account, it's a hit or miss proposition, and most of the time nothing works properly. BUT - if you log in with your cabin number - BINGO - works perfectly!

The Ugly!

• The mask policy. Now - before anyone starts a reply, please hear me out!
  • On Embarkation Day there was a huge sign saying masks required in the cruise terminal. We were also given a letter saying masks are required on board. Ok, that's fine with us - but the only place it was enforced was in the buffet!
  • Setting aside the whole maks or no mask discussion, my problem is the lack of enforcement of any policy. Another example are the adult only pools full of kids, and the deck attendents look the other way. If Princess is going to require something, shouldn't they enforce it????

And in case anyone is wondering -

• There's about 2,600 folks on board, and I think 1,100 crew (please don't quote me)
  • Masks - about 1/3 of the folks are wearing masks. Yes, they are required for tendering, and so far everyone is wearing one on the tenders.
  • Deck 12 is the quarentine deck, I don't know if anyone is up there or not.
  • Weather is cooperating so far, but looking ahead it's going to be cool and rainy in Kirkwall.

Overall a good cruise so far. Just happy to finally be here after 3+ years of booking and re-booking!

Feel free to ask any questions, I will try to reply internet willing!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

A few questions:

1.  Planks BBQ and Steamers Seafood are shown on deck plans.  I've seen some Patters posted but haven't seen these places listed.  Were they ever open?

2.  Is there a laundry slip in your closet?  Curious about the cost just for items like jeans or tops in case the self-serve laundry is a problem.

3.  Re: Dublin tendering, were you on a Princess excursion?

Please report back on your Edinburgh tendering experience.  Thank you!

Edited by SomewhereGirl

@SomewhereGirl -

• Planks BBQ and Steamers Seafood are CLOSED for this cruise!
  • Speaking of food, one main dining room is open for breakfast in the morning, one main dining room for lunch ONLY on sea days, and the buffet occassionaly alternates between both sides open and one side only. All other food is open and yummy!
  • Laundry slip! Working on uploading the slip, waiting for the internet to cooperate. Stay tuned!
  • Dublin Tendering - No, we were NOT on a Princess Excursion. We got our tender tickets at 8:00 AM, and were on the train to Dublin (which is very cheap and easy) by 8:45. In the afternoon, took us almost an hour and a half to get back on board - long line + rough seas.
  • Edinburgh tendering experience - TDB !

@JandAVV - We spent three days in London Pre-Cruise, and went to DAM Health @ Kings Cross two days before embarkation. Took the two hour antigen test, had results that afternoon, and that evening had our hotel front desk print the results. Quick and easy!

Hope this helps!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LT Hambone said:

@Coral - I have seen neither on this cruise. @junglejane - Did you see either of these on your cruise? 

FYI - We ate at Sabatinis last night. Very good, and very empty.

Thanks. I know someone on the next cruise and she wanted to do one of these. I am guessing they will try Sabatini's.

Thanks for live report!

If you have the opportunity to ask the front desk how many are on the next sailing, that would be great but if you don't have time, I understand!

Edited by Coral

@Coral - Guest Services does not have the numbers for the next cruise, sorry.

Currently enroute to Edinburgh, was just informed they will be running ship tenders AND local boats, so I'm crossing fingers that we'll have an amazing tendering experience tomorrow!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LT Hambone said:

Currently enroute to Edinburgh, was just informed they will be running ship tenders AND local boats, so I'm crossing fingers that we'll have an amazing tendering experience tomorrow!

Our waiters always knew the numbers for the next sailing.  They were updated during their DR meetings.

23 minutes ago, L4605 said:

Seems to be held up just outside the Cromarty Firth just now. Was waiting to watch it go past but I think it could be quite late

Yup, medical emergency, and we just left heading towards Edinburgh. No word yet on if our ETA is changing - stay tuned!

• Thanks 1

That is odd. Thanks for checking! Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

16 hours ago, LT Hambone said:

@Coral - I have seen neither on this cruise. @junglejane - Did you see either of these on your cruise? 

FYI - We ate at Sabatinis last night. Very good, and very empty.

I didn't see anything about either a Chef's Table or Winemaker's dinner, although I wasn't looking for them either so I could've missed it. I just went back and looked at my Patters and didn't see anything there. I'm glad you enjoyed your dinner at Sabatini's because we were disappointed in ours, although the service was excellent.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 3:40 PM, PacnGoNow said:

Our waiters always knew the numbers for the next sailing.  They were updated during their DR meetings.

@PacnGoNow - I asked around some more, same answer, final numbers for the next sailing have not been finalized. Guess that's because we're cruising post COVID and everything is in a state of flux?

• Thanks 1

Adventures In Tendering - Edinburgh Edition!

As mentioned previously, we had a medical emergency after leaving Invergordon, and we spent 3+ hours sitting just outside the Cromarty Firth to offload a passenger and then wait for the ship's medical staff and equipment to return. As a result, we were almost two hours late arriving at our South Queensferry anchorage. Which then made for a very fun tendering experience!

• 8:45 AM - I went down to Crooners for tender tickets, got the Pelican group. Woot!
  • 8:50 AM - First tenders head ashore with ship shore excursion passengers. In addition to the ship tenders, also using two local tour boats and both the forward and amidship tendering platforms.
  • 10:40 AM - Our group is finally called, and we loaded onto one of the local boats. Large boat, swallowed up quite a few folks, and it had a narration playing on our way to the dock explaining the three bridges.
  • 11:05 AM - Made it ashore and found our tour guide for the day!
  • 4:15 PM - Arrived at the dock, long line for the tenders, looked like it ws going to be a long wait.
  • 4:30 PM - Boarded one of the ship's tenders. Noticed there were two more ship tenders plus a local boat waiting to dock.
  • 5:00 PM - Made it to the Horizon Terrace Bar for a well earned Long Island Ice Tea.

Overall, was a very smooth and easy tendering experience (except for the long wait to get off, but that was due to our late arrival). Even though we were two hours late meeting our tour guide, we still had an amazing day and only had to miss one stop - Roselyn Chapel.

Off to Le Havre for our final stop.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Malleykatt said:

Shame about the delay I hope the passenger is ok.

Thank you for the details I've booked ahead for the castle so the time should be do able. Guess it will all hang on the tenders used.

Enjoy Le Havre.

Thanks

The Captain said the passenger is doing ok, and everyone on board was very understanding.

Which castle are you visiting? We went to Stirling Castle because our guide said Edinburgh castle was not a good option with the Tatto and Fringe Festival running. We arrived at Stirling around 2 PM, watched all of the Princess tour busses leave, then had a very relaxing time wandering the castle with minimal crowds. Good call!

As for tenders - my honest opinion is that if we were on-time, this would have been the best tendering port with minimal wait and less than 20 minute transit times.

Enjoy your cruise!

The Captain said the passenger is doing ok, and everyone on board was very understanding.

Which castle are you visiting? We went to Stirling Castle because our guide said Edinburgh castle was not a good option with the Tatto and Fringe Festival running. We arrived at Stirling around 2 PM, watched all of the Princess tour busses leave, then had a very relaxing time wandering the castle with minimal crowds. Good call!

As for tenders - my honest opinion is that if we were on-time, this would have been the best tendering port with minimal wait and less than 20 minute transit times.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the update.

I've booked Edinburgh castle as I have a Historic Scotland pass......no really no pain no gain if we don't make it. We are doing Stirling with Princess as could not find a good private one and lots of rail strikes on different days I wasn't confident of freewheeling.

Thank you stay safe.

3 hours ago, LT Hambone said:
  • 8:45 AM - I went down to Crooners for tender tickets, got the Pelican group. Woot!
  • 8:50 AM - First tenders head ashore with ship shore excursion passengers. In addition to the ship tenders, also using two local tour boats and both the forward and amidship tendering platforms.
  • 10:40 AM - Our group is finally called, and we loaded onto one of the local boats.

South Queensferry is the tendering I'm most worried about because I have a non-Princess excursion planned.  Knowing your arrival was delayed, how early were tickets available?  How many groups were before the Pelicans?  Is there a lot of pushing and shoving to get the tickets?  I imagine Princess excursions delayed your group being called.  Thanks for any info.  I think I'll be glad I have no set plans in Guernsey and a Princess excursion in Dublin.

@Malleykatt - We booked a tour with Niall McOwan over at Scottish Guided Tours (https://scottishguidedtours.com/). Might be too late to book with him, but worth a try! This poor guy waited on the pier for over two HOURS, and once we got ashore, he was able to rearrange our planned day to get the most out of our limited time. Very knowledgeable, funny, and his van holds seven. If you can get a tour with him, you will not be dissapointed! If you do contact him, tell him you were reffered by the crazy family that made him wait on the pier for two hours!

@SomewhereGirl - Lots of tickets were available, and it was all very orderly and well organized. Don't recall how many groups were before Pelican, but it was quite a few. Also, the amidship areas were not jammed with people waiting, most folks went back to their cabin or another lounge to wait. I would NOT stress about either Guernsey or South Queensferry, they are both short tender rides with local help. Dublin is the tricky one because it's a long tender ride with no local assistance. Yes, Princess excursions delayed our departure, and that's why we booked our private tours to meet at least an hour and a half about the first tenders started running.

Hope this helps!

• Thanks 1