How do you get up the nerve to speak to fellow passengers?

Hflors

When cruising solo, I like to share tables, so I go to the MDR, but if I want to eat alone, then I usually go to the buffet. BUT I have to say that I would feel strange, if I had to dine by myself in the MDR. It wouldn't feel right.

With land solo travel, I'll eat by myself and usually have a book to read while eating. But this would be ok and I wouldn't feel strange in this situation.

• 1 month later...

I did my 1st solo trip back when i was 23 in 1980- went to club med- cancun- was nervous as all hell-celebrated my birthday there- woman at dinner table took pics- forwarded copies to me- wrote her a nice thankyou- well we've been best friends since- we may live 1500 miles apart but we speak once a wk or so- will be seeing her in 2 months- by the way- a quote from my 1st cruise (w/ my friend) "a stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet"Ā  I have cruised solo many times- have met alot of super nice people from various places who have broadened my horizons many times over-

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I find the easiest way to talk to people as a shy person is on excursions, because you're part of a group and everyone is having fun, or else getting cranky together. Having seen older solos, the worst thing to do is talk about yourself, which I saw a solo woman do when imposing yourself at a family's table. Only say positive things and don't drag people down with health problems or death--so I'd say "I'm single now", instead of "I'm a widow". So a positive excitement will get you more involved and people will want to keep talking to you, especially important on a long world cruise. So I was thinking of a world cruise after my cat died, but even though I would have felt sorrow, I would have kept it to myself, and only said things like "it's great to have the freedom finally to see the world on this dream cruise". Go to classes, even things you might not normally do, like line dancing or Zumba, where you're part of a group doing things but there's no forced socialization, like at a singles meet or dining table.Ā 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Recently I was sailing on the Koningsdam- Holland America and the dining room staff put me at a table with all solo travellers. Everyone was friendly and shared their cruise experiences. Everyone was a bit shy but after introductions, it was a quick way to meet fellow cruise enthusiasts.Ā 

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, going on a world cruise sounds incredible! I can totally understand how it might feel intimidating to make friends without your husband by your side. When I went on a solo trip, I found that joining group activities or excursions was a game-changer. It gave me a chance to meet fellow travelers with similar interests and break the ice in a more relaxed setting. Also, don't underestimate the power of a genuine smile and open body language! It can make you approachable and encourage others to strike up a conversation with you. Just take it easy, enjoy the journey, and let those connections happen naturally. Have an amazing time on your cruise! Bon voyage! šŸŒŠšŸ›³ļø

The easiest icebreaker is to ask people about travel. If they have Ben to the next place, the most interesting place they have gone to, what tours they have planned, etc. People love to talk about travel. Also, find out when the solo travel meetings are and go. If they have activities you like, go to those. Trivia is a good way to meet other people.

• Like 2