Wheelchairs in the airports

Chickadee910

Just alittle information for those of us with mobility or breathing issues. When you go online to check your seating make sure you mark that you need a wheelchair to get you to the gate in all the terminals.my experience is that at most airports they are waiting at ticketing for you.if not the ticket desk is quick to get one for you. Your companion goes with you. You go quickly through security also. A couple hiccups but generally it goes well. The only real problem I have had is persons deciding they need a wheelchair getting off the plane that they haven’t ordered and I have needed to wait for one. But that’s just rude passengers as at some airports they don’t check a roster.but please tip these kids they appreciate it.especially in the wee hours of the morning.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Chickadee910 said:

they need a wheelchair getting off the plane that they haven’t ordered and I have needed to wait for one. But that’s just rude passengers as at some airports

An excellent post except for the above statement.  It was not until I arrived at Vancouver and saw the distance that I had to go to get to baggage claim and beyond that I realized:  I shouldn't try to do this.  I did not need a wheelchair nor did I attempt to claim one.  But, I did ask the Delta agent ferrying other guests who had requested a cart if she had room for me.  She kindly asked me to wait a bit and see if everyone on her list appeared, which they did not.  There was room for me.  I am pretty sure someone else in my position would have been so accommodated.  

When I got to my destination, Anchorage, I called my travel agent and told Mary that I needed wheelchair assistance at the cruise terminals and the airports on my way home.  She arranged it and all worked well.  

I've worked at airlines and elsewhere in travel for over 20 years, and I encourage anyone who thinks they might have need of a wheelchair to not be embarrassed to ask. Travel is exhausting,  and at the end of a trip you just may wear out a little bit faster than usual.  Even on your outbound flight, as the stress of preparing for your trip and going through the security checks can wear anyone out.  I guarantee, absolutely no one is judging. 

And, if you get to the ticket counter and feel fit as a fiddle, and energized from your trip,  just tell them  you won't need it.  It will bother absolutely nobody to skip it.  

And, yes, please find a way to say "thank you" to the hard-working kids who do this all day.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

Your request for wheelchair assistance requests should be directed to your airline.

Your cruise shore side staff have no control over airport operations.

David

My apology that I do not understand what you mean exactly.

We had all kind of experiences:

1. arranged wheelchair assistance via TA with airlines for outbound and returntrips. Worked perfect.
  2. got wheelchair assistance at airports the moment it became  "too much"
  3. Like 2, at cruise terminals 

Sorry I thought I was clear that on line with your airline at checkin to request your seating you request you wheelchair there. Didn’t mean that the cruise dept. should have anything to do with it. But the cruise ship will get you a wheelchair for disembarking if necessary. Thanks for the positive comments.

19 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

Your request for wheelchair assistance requests should be directed to your airline.

Your cruise shore side staff have no control over airport operations.

David

Quite true.  But, having had experience with Princess, HAL, and MSC, their shore staff (which are port agent employees), do make contributions to the wheelchair transfers, etc. that a guest experiences.  There are not enough positive adjectives in the English vocabulary to describe my experience with these good people.