How strenuous is "Xunantunich Mayan Ruins with Marimba Lunch"??

kimequa

We are cruising with Royal Caribbean and have signed up for the "Xunantunich Mayan Ruins with Marimba Lunch" excursion. My mom is 70 years old and usually spends a lot of time working outdoors in her garden, etc... However, she has been having some issues with stamina lately. She is concerned that this excursion will require too much hiking. Can anyone share specific details of how physically exerting this is? (How much walking do you do? Uphill? Super uneven terrain? Were there many elderly or obese people on this tour?) The listing says "Moderate" but you know with cruise excursions, that can mean anything lol. ((Thanks!))

If I knew what company offered the tour, I would reach out to them directly...but when you book through the cruise ship, they like to keep that to themselves 😉

All the cruise lines use the local guides that work there to conduct the tours.  When we went on this tour about 5 yrs ago, there were some people who were unable to even make it up the small hill from the parking lot.  I felt bad for them.  They ended up sitting under a tree while the rest of the group went up to the top of several of the ruins, and walked around and down staircases... I would say we walked about a mile, not something everyone could do.  PLUS, it was very hot there.  Just an FYI.

• Like 1