MVJ flight itinerary change notice (an observation)

SailorPaulH

I had an interesting development on my MVJ account. My flight itinerary was posted about 70 days before our first outbound flight - I was quite impressed by this as we had hastily booked this (substitute) cruise after we unfortunately had to cancel our intended cruise in July 2022. It involved an outbound flight from Newark, NJ to Frankfurt and then connecting to Stockholm (both on Lufthansa). The return flight was Bergen to Newark (United). Looked good - thought nothing more of it, and never really had the chance or felt the need to get Viking Air Plus. 10 days ago - the flight itinerary was removed and a message that begins: "Your flight information is currently unavailable due to changes made by the airline. These kinds of adjustments typically resolve themselves in 1-2 business days ....." etc., etc. Well it's been 10 days, and my inquiries with Viking have provided the answer ... and I paraphrase it, "Don't worry, it's just a flight adjustment and the details have yet to be posted."

I did my own digging on the Lufthansa and United websites using the booking codes that I had been provided by Viking and it turns out all the information is there - the only change is the connecting flight to Stockholm is a few hours later than the original (no big deal for me as I like German beer!). So it appears to be me that Viking is just slow to update individual MVJs in these situations.

I posted this as someone else may encounter the same situation close to cruise time - just remember to check the actual airline's site also to see if there is a significant issue or not.

Still, I will feel better when MVJ catches up (first flight is in 32 days).

• Like 1

2-3 days ago, noticed on MVJ -- Air:  Outbound flight time changed.  Departure is 10 min later-- and arrival is the same.

Today, early a.m., received V revised flight itinerary, forwarded from TA.  Very prompt notification, as TA received it from V overnight.

Didn't get your MVJ message this time.  On last V cruise, December 2021, received your MVJ message, and called straight away.  Entire outbound flight itin was cxl'd and V re-booked on dif airline and dif city -- much longer day of travel.

We rolled with it, as it was 1st cruise back after 2 Covid year drought.  Was an excellent 1st V cruise!

1 hour ago, SailorPaulH said:

I had an interesting development on my MVJ account. My flight itinerary was posted about 70 days before our first outbound flight - I was quite impressed by this as we had hastily booked this (substitute) cruise after we unfortunately had to cancel our intended cruise in July 2022. It involved an outbound flight from Newark, NJ to Frankfurt and then connecting to Stockholm (both on Lufthansa). The return flight was Bergen to Newark (United). Looked good - thought nothing more of it, and never really had the chance or felt the need to get Viking Air Plus. 10 days ago - the flight itinerary was removed and a message that begins: "Your flight information is currently unavailable due to changes made by the airline. These kinds of adjustments typically resolve themselves in 1-2 business days ....." etc., etc. Well it's been 10 days, and my inquiries with Viking have provided the answer ... and I paraphrase it, "Don't worry, it's just a flight adjustment and the details have yet to be posted."

I did my own digging on the Lufthansa and United websites using the booking codes that I had been provided by Viking and it turns out all the information is there - the only change is the connecting flight to Stockholm is a few hours later than the original (no big deal for me as I like German beer!). So it appears to be me that Viking is just slow to update individual MVJs in these situations.

I posted this as someone else may encounter the same situation close to cruise time - just remember to check the actual airline's site also to see if there is a significant issue or not.

Still, I will feel better when MVJ catches up (first flight is in 32 days).

If you like German beer and are flying Business, suggest checking out Lufthansa's business lounge in Frankfurt. At least before COVID they had a couple of self-service taps with draft beer. Few years ago, 4 of us were returning home from a business trip and spent a few hours in the lounge - heavenly.😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

If you like German beer and are flying Business, suggest checking out Lufthansa's business lounge in Frankfurt. At least before COVID they had a couple of self-service taps with draft beer. Few years ago, 4 of us were returning home from a business trip and spent a few hours in the lounge - heavenly.😁

Great info as always Heidi13. One interesting resource that I found that is close to the gates where Lufthansa flights from US arrive at Frankfurt is the transit hotel MyCloud - apparently you can book this by the hour (😏) - could be useful after an overnight flight with a 6-hour layover to follow. Anyone ever tried this? Startseite - MYCLOUD Hotel