Sign & Sail cards to the cabin

Drew B 58

Just now, SeaShark said:

But even when you capitalize WHOLE, you're still referring to the check in process for one/two guests...I'm referring to the ENTIRE process. Saving one minute while boarding you or me adds up to a savings of hours when they have to board an entire ship full of guests.

Absolutely.  But if they shave, say, 10-30 seconds off the time it takes the desk agent’s task but as a result, they add [more] time to the cabin steward’s job, AND have to task people with running around the ship to deliver the cards to each steward AND add time to guest services in dealing with the people whose cards aren’t where they’re supposed to be, then is the ENTIRE process actually more efficient?

5 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

But even when you capitalize WHOLE, you're still referring to the check in process for one/two guests...I'm referring to the ENTIRE process. Saving one minute while boarding you or me adds up to a savings of hours when they have to board an entire ship full of guests.

How? You cannot board any faster. Princess has the cards already made before enter the pier to check in. The cards are already waiting for you at check in.   

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Drew B 58 said:

Absolutely.  But if they shave, say, 10-30 seconds off the time it takes the desk agent’s task but as a result, they add [more] time to the cabin steward’s job, AND have to task people with running around the ship to deliver the cards to each steward AND add time to guest services in dealing with the people whose cards aren’t where they’re supposed to be, then is the ENTIRE process actually more efficient?

Well, obviously the people who do this each and every cruise think it is or they wouldn't be doing it, right?

22 minutes ago, 6aces said:

How? You cannot board any faster. Princess has the cards already made before enter the pier to check in. The cards are already waiting for you at check in.   

Really? Please explain. I'm certain that if the agent spent one or two minutes less with each guest that the line would move faster and boarding would be quicker, but you seem to think otherwise. Please explain the details of how less time at the check in counter is not an improvement...or...why not make yourself a boatload of money and explain your more-efficient boarding ideas to the cruise lines...🙄

1 minute ago, SeaShark said:

Well, obviously the people who do this each and every cruise think it is or they wouldn't be doing it, right?

It's just a different way. But it's not faster nor more efficient.  People don't just walk up, name photo , check in. Many at check in engage the desk agents with questions.  Isn't it funny that everyone gets on boards the ship on time and they all leave at the same time. All cruise lines know how long it takes to board their ships.

34 minutes ago, 6aces said:

Princess doesn't use cards. Princess uses Medallions and they are also made in advance. They are ahead of the curve.

47 minutes ago, 6aces said:

This was my point also. Those 4-8000 room keyes, depending on ship size, still have to get made. Then someone has to deliver them to each deck. Then the have to get distributed to the cabin stewards, who then have to assign them to the rooms.. Someone has to place them in their card holders. There are more potential for mistakes when handled by so many people

This is not a recent change and is unrelated to covid. It has worked well for years. Carnival's Cruise Line, Carnival's rules. Sail on.

• Like 1

As someone who actually worked check in, I can say that yes it is more efficient to have the keys by the rooms. Doesn't matter if I get the keys while you are filing out paper work, etc. If something is wrong, the keys aren't where they are supposed to be, the wrong keys or even no keys at all, it takes time to fix. All of that is eliminated with the keys at the door. They have time to check to make sure each keys has the right status, etc. I have ran into every situation you can think of to hold up check in. The chain of command on the keys is exactly the same on board on done at check in. Actually less with them being delivered to the doors. They are printed the night before, by the guest service staff. Given to the stewards supervisor, already sorted and ready for the next day. Then just added to mail boxes. The old process started the same then the box is handed to someone allowed to go on shore and then given to the shore side team for which 40 agents now have access to. They were not sorted by room type or loyalty ADA. Only by name.

I worked for RC when they had a separate checking for suites and Ada guests. We had to walk across the enter room to get the keys for each passenger. So you saved standing in the long main line but took and extra 5 minutes of waiting for they keys. 

Doesn't matter to me either way but I wanted to chime in from another perspective.

• Like 3