SeaDream I in South America

emckeeve

Just booked Jan. 7, 2007. Have been on SD II twice. Is SD I virtually identical? Any slight differences? Also, does anyone know if the January 25, 2007 SA sailing is a charter?

SD1 and II are virtually identical -- we sailed I in Nov 04 and II in Jan 06 -- I couldn't have told you which ship I was on! Although, I will say I liked the decor in the Club Lounge a little better on SDII. The artwork is a bit different as well, but otherwise, no difference.

Sorry - no info on SA voyages.

Vandrefalk

Just booked Jan. 7, 2007. Have been on SD II twice. Is SD I virtually identical? Any slight differences? Also, does anyone know if the January 25, 2007 SA sailing is a charter?

One way (other than by reading the name) to tell the difference between the ships is that the communication globes on the top of the ships are situated differently. Unless I have them reversed (which is quite possible), on SD1, they are front and back and on SD2 they are side by side and hence affectionately known as the Dolly Partons, as I understand it.

Also, there is a urinal in the public Mens room on deck 3 in the reception area of SD2 while sadly the urinal has been removed from that Mens room on SD1.

Otherwise, Vandrefalk is quite correct in that other differences consist only of very minor decor variations.

The Jan. 25, 2007 sailing is listed on the website so it doesn't appear to be a charter.

Ctbjr, I was going to mention the communication globes, but I always get confused about which is which -- think you've got it right, but hadn't heard the nickname!:D

Sorry - I wouldn't have known about the men's room. . . . ;)

Vandrefalk

• 3 weeks later...

My partner and I are giving serious consideration to the Feb 21 Rio-Belem cruise. It looks like such a unique itinerary and the fare looks like a bargain. We have never cruised with SeaDream before (we sailed HAL last June with my family and will be on Celebrity in June to Alaska). Previous vacations have typically been land based (courtsey of my days at Starwood Hotels - lot's of great Westin Resorts/St. Regis hotels/Luxury Collection properties in Asia, Australia, Europe). So, I guess the question in the back of my mind is - will we fit in?

Looks like things are narrowing down for us - We are considering the Feb 21 Rio-Belem along with two other non-SeaDream options: March 25th Rio-Lisbon on the Insignia and the April 1 Fort Lauderdale-Lisbon on Seabourn. I know - three pretty different experiences (like comparing apples/oranges/pineapples!!!:D ).

One question (and I know everyone asks!) is how casual is SeaDream? We are certainly not "tuxedo" people so a little afraid that we would be consistently underdressed on Seabourn (hence the Insignia being in the mix). The stops look great on the 2/21 looks great as well - off the beaten path (the other strike against Seabourn and Oceania is that we'll have 7 or so sea days in a row - YIKES! :eek: ). The brochure I received from my travel agent looks awesome for SeaDream and just thinking - should we just pull the trigger and go for it?

Any advise would be great!!!

Yes, I agree. Go for it. SeaDream is casual. In my experience, most men wear sport coats over golf shirts for dinner, but it is not necessary. That's as dressy as it gets. And it is also why we love SeaDream. Haven't done Oceania yet, but we LOVED Rennaissance and they seem to have kept the same concept. I can almost guarantee that SeaDream will more than meet your expectations.

Archived