Latest from TUI re Testing.

That email also contained a confusing phrase about mask wearing

quote - Italy still require travellers to wear FFP2 masks when we’re in Italian waters and at times ashore

What, we have to wear masks at all times when we are in Italian waters but not at all times ashore

56 minutes ago, Rebel Rouser said:

Looks like the testing for Cruising will still be going up to the end of September. My Guess it will carry on through the winter even though other cruise lines are dropping the testing.

Screenshot 2022-08-10 201141.jpg

Agree RR regards testing beyond September

Think other cruise lines dropping the testing is risky and not the way forward presently

28 minutes ago, Jim The Scot said:

Think other cruise lines dropping the testing is risky and not the way forward presently

I agree but the until all the passengers on the TUI flight out have the `day before` LFT test certificates it`s been risky all along. STILL MAKES NO SENSE.

11 hours ago, oscarshep said:

I agree but the until all the passengers on the TUI flight out have the `day before` LFT test certificates it`s been risky all along. STILL MAKES NO SENSE.

Exactly. I could never see the point of pre cruise tested passengers travelling on the same aircraft as non tested holiday makers. Also when Marella were testing pax aboard ship the night before disembarkation only to put those that tested negative onto an aircraft with untested land based holiday makers for the journey home.🤷‍♂️

Edited by Brummijam
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rebel Rouser said:

My ongoing saga  with TUI on Twitter. Even though they didn't have the decency to reply to me directly but to someone else who made a comment. 

Screenshot 2022-08-11 093652.jpg

Hi RR.

This proves again that trying to get proper information from TUI is an uphill struggle. They seem to be quite lax regarding the website info (which looks like it was designed by a twelve year old)  Personally i wouldn’t normally bother with a company whose admin is so inept but the actual Marella cruise experience suits us so it’s worth putting up with.

Keep well.

• Like 2

On a personal level I have no problem doing the test, I'd do one anyway.   I'd rather know if I'm positive beforehand and be able to move my cruise date than turn up and fall ill on board with all the palaver that would involve.

From the cruise line's perspective it prevents anyone who is definitley positive from boarding the ship, which is a good thing for everyone involved, including the positive person.

Yes, you could get it in the airport, from a fellow plane passenger, from anyone you are in contact with on your journey to the airport.   But if we want to have holidays, including cruises, these are unavoidable risks.

From Tui's perspective they are not going to apply this to land based passengers while their competitors don't,  simply for commercial reasons.  And they will not fly cruise only planes for the same reason.

So, I think we're stuck with it for now but the tests are easy to do and fairly inexpensive.   So won't stop me booking a cruise.

1) From the cruise line's perspective it prevents anyone who is definitley positive from boarding the ship, which is a good thing for everyone involved, including the positive person.

2) Yes, you could get it in the airport, from a fellow plane passenger, from anyone you are in contact with on your journey to the airport.   But if we want to have holidays, including cruises, these are unavoidable risks.

3) From Tui's perspective they are not going to apply this to land based passengers while their competitors don't,  simply for commercial reasons.  And they will not fly cruise only planes for the same reason.

Hi RK.

1) I agree with your first point regarding testing prior to boarding, but as you have stated people who tested negative will be exposed to the virus during their journey to the ship.

2) This point pretty much makes the first point useless as recent stats show that 1 in 20 persons in the uk were positive without knowing .

3) As point 2.

Not an argument, just my opinion.🤔

Keep well.

Edited by Brummijam

1/ OK, I'll put it another way.   In June when I was on the cruise they were saying that roughly 1 in 30 of the general population of the UK had it.  If you apply that to a ship that holds 1,800 passengers that would mean that roughly 60 passengers tested positive the day before they were due to cruise.   Even if it was half of that it's a lot of people who weren't able to board.  

2/ I disagree, it doesn't render 1 useless, it just means that there are still risks associated with travelling.  Those 30 passengers who weren't allowed to fly also  makes that risk slightly less.

3/ See point 2.

At the end of the day testing is cheap and easy and will identify passengers who are definitely positive so as long as cases are high in the general population it still makes sense.

The only way to completely keep cruise ships free of covid it to tie them up in ports and shut the doors.

Since we have been allowed to travel again we've had 2 land holidays and a cruise, we are going to Lanzarote next month too.   Of those holidays we came home with covid on one of them, not the cruise I haten to add.   But we knew the risks before we went and accepted them.  Testing cruise passengers the day before they board reduces that risk cheaply and easily.  So I'm happy with that.

It's not an argument BTW, it's a discussion.  🙂

• Like 1

End of the day theres no fail safe system for hols/cruising

You can harbour the virus for up to something like 72 hrs before presenting any symptons and a positive test.We tested negative pre departure/flight day as per TUI condition and went down with the virus a few days into our cruise so every chance we had the virus at the airport,on the plane,on the transfer coach and onto the ship

Hi RR,. Thanks for the latest rules, however does the 270 days refer to the original 2 vaccinations plus booster? We had our booster last November and according to our doctor aren't eligible for another until the 'autumn' whenever that might be. This would mean we can't book a cruise in October.

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick but need to be clear before booking. 

4 minutes ago, dronnygirl said:

Hi RR,. Thanks for the latest rules, however does the 270 days refer to the original 2 vaccinations plus booster? We had our booster last November and according to our doctor aren't eligible for another until the 'autumn' whenever that might be. This would mean we can't book a cruise in October.

The booster date does not matter at this time.

41 minutes ago, dronnygirl said:

The 270 days refers to the second of the 2 original jabs, If you have had a booster that 270 day limit no longer applies, you are good to go without limit

Thanks Dave, really clarifies the situation. Now we can look at booking!

12 minutes ago, davecttr said:

The 270 days refers to the second of the 2 original jabs, If you have had a booster that 270 day limit no longer applies, you are good to go without limit