For those having done a New England Cruise - cabin type insight?

bellevuemountain

Hi!  I am considering a New England  B2B September cruise.  I’m debating on the type of cabin to choose.  The price difference between an inside and a balcony is considerable.  A little bit about me - I’ve taken several cruises, solo traveler, and an introvert.  What are the views like on a New England cruise?  Would I be able to see lights from the shore from the ship?  If so, I would definitely consider a balcony.  Thanks for any insight, everyone!

4 minutes ago, bellevuemountain said:

What are the views like on a New England cruise?  Would I be able to see lights from the shore from the ship?  If so, I would definitely consider a balcony.  Thanks for any insight, everyone!

Where specifically in New England are you going? I'm going to make the assumption that you are sailing up the St Lawrence but not all cruises do. 

If you do sail up the St Lawrence there will be scenic cruising along the river portion of the trip as well as Saguenay if your ship calls there (again, no idea if it does or doesn't form the info provided). Saguenay in particular is very scenic and would be worth it to me to have a balcony for. 

Besides that it will be very much just normal ocean sailing (assuming it's leaving New York or Boston etc and going up and down to Quebec or Montreal and back). 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Where specifically in New England are you going? I'm going to make the assumption that you are sailing up the St Lawrence but not all cruises do. 

If you do sail up the St Lawrence there will be scenic cruising along the river portion of the trip as well as Saguenay if your ship calls there (again, no idea if it does or doesn't form the info provided). Saguenay in particular is very scenic and would be worth it to me to have a balcony for. 

Besides that it will be very much just normal ocean sailing (assuming it's leaving New York or Boston etc and going up and down to Quebec or Montreal and back). 

Thank you! I have not fixed my choice yet, either Montreal - Boston - Montreal with HAL or Quebec - Boston - Quebec with NCL.

In both cases, there will be river portions.

I appreciate your reply.

For any cruise, my personal preference is for an Oceanview, not a Balcony.  Is that not one of your options?  I like being able to look out, up, down, sideways from the comfort of my cabin.

As to C/NE cruises, I haven't found much difference in viewing opportunities compared to Bahamas or other destinations; most of the trip is at sea, with no land in sight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bellevuemountain said:

Thank you! I have not fixed my choice yet, either Montreal - Boston - Montreal with HAL or Quebec - Boston - Quebec with NCL.

HAL does a nice job on the NE sailings and their smaller ships allow you to call on Montreal which the NCL ship is too large to reach. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

HAL does a nice job on the NE sailings and their smaller ships allow you to call on Montreal which the NCL ship is too large to reach. 

That is an excellent point also.  I had to cancel a future cruise with NCL (it is no longer recommend for me to fly).  I was disappointed, but better being cautious than sorry.  I had planned using the future credits from the NCL platinum insurance for the Quebec - Boston - Quebec on the Pearl, but it might be too tight time wise to receive the refund.  I am a short commute from the cruise port in Montreal… I can sometimes see the cruise ships from the window at my office.  It could be interesting to try out the Zaandam.  The balconies are sold out, hence my original question.

19 minutes ago, bellevuemountain said:

It could be interesting to try out the Zaandam.  The balconies are sold out, hence my original question.

Zaandam is a very comfortable and traditional ship-- technically sister ship to the former flagships Rotterdam and Amsterdam. 

Check and see if they have any "Lanai" cabins available on Deck 3. These are technically oceanview cabins that have a direct outside door to the wrap around promenade deck-- essentially a big unprivate balcony. And they are priced less than balcony cabins. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Zaandam is a very comfortable and traditional ship-- technically sister ship to the former flagships Rotterdam and Amsterdam. 

Check and see if they have any "Lanai" cabins available on Deck 3. These are technically oceanview cabins that have a direct outside door to the wrap around promenade deck-- essentially a big unprivate balcony. And they are priced less than balcony cabins. 

Great tip.  Thank-you! I’ve been searching more about the Zaandam, I do believe HAL may be a better fit with my interests.  If no Lanai cabins are available, I could be tempted by an inside cabin.  The BBC Earth seems interesting.

Thanks, Princerton123211!

On 8/11/2022 at 12:47 PM, bellevuemountain said:

Hi!  I am considering a New England  B2B September cruise.  I’m debating on the type of cabin to choose.  The price difference between an inside and a balcony is considerable.  . . .

I've done over 50 cruises in my lifetime and I never stayed in the cabin while the ship was at sea.  I roam the outer decks if weather is suitable or stay near a large window in the public areas to see what there is to be seen.  FWIW I usually get an ocean-view cabin as I don't feel the need for a balcony, esp. on the itinerary you'll be sailing on--it can get cool/cold out there when the ship is moving!  Have a great cruise!

• Like 2