Barcelona Questions

ajtraveler66

We were on a Mediterranean cruise back in 2010, and it started in Barcelona.  We stayed at some hotel the night before, and I remember walking down the Las Ramblas and enjoying it very much.

In April, we will be starting a cruise in Venice, and Barcelona will be one of the ports we actually visit while on the cruise.  So my question is this:  Do the 'hop-on-hop-off' tours include drop-off points that would include Las Ramblas?  

Any other thoughts that you might have to help us enjoy Barcelona--particularly Las Ramblas--would be appreciated.  We are seniors now ... and we like good food, as does everyone.  Any tapa place to recommend should we do the Las Ramblas again?

Thank you so much!

One of the stops is Plaza Catalunya at the top of Las Ramblas.  

If Las Ramblas is all you have seen in Barcelona, you should really go to la Sagrada Familia.

Walk the Passeig de Gracia where two of Gaudi's most famous works are: Casa Batllo and Casa Mila.

Visit the Gothic Quarter (there are "free" walking tours there).

Restaurants along Las Ramblas tend to be the tourist trap type.  Much better in the Passeig de Gracia area and in the Gothic Quarter.

Search through this board. There are lots of good pointers. 

• Like 1

Any other thoughts that you might have to help us enjoy Barcelona--particularly Las Ramblas--would be appreciated. 

Sorry but I find it interesting that you are enthusiastic about visiting las Ramblas in Barcelona, but more hesitant about visiting towns and/or islands in Croatia, Italy, France etc which ares generally considered to be much safer.  in most of your other threads you want to remain "close to the port" -is that for safety reasons?-but in Barcelona of all places you are looking forward to spending time on one of the most nortorious streets in Europe.

Personally we thought las Ramblas was one of the tackiest, most crowded and over rated places ever, and having walked it once we never returned on our several subsequent visits.

And it is STILL notorious for being one of the highest risk streets in Europe for scams, pickpocketing and theft in general.

Try internet searching something like "pickpocketing in Barcelona" or "worst places in Europe for pickpocketing" as it consistently tops the lists no city wants to see its name on. It is currently #1 in The World's top ten  worst places for pickpocketing"

And should you decide to continue with that idea, do internet search something like  "how to avoid scams, pickpocketing and theft in Barcelona" as these people have many distraction tricks to relieve you of your valuables. and forewarned is forearmed.

And for dining you will probably do much better "off ramblas" as the places"on Ramblas"  mostly cater to tourists.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree.  The OP has been in Barcelona once before when they stayed at a hotel one night and walked Las Ramblas.  As I pointed out above, they should visit the areas and places that make this an extraordinary city.  

IMO - the only thing worth looking at in Las Ramblas is the Miró pavement mosaic in the center.  But it is not worth getting harassed by vendors or dealing with the crowds during a short port visit when there is so much more to enjoy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Any other thoughts that you might have to help us enjoy Barcelona--particularly Las Ramblas--would be appreciated. 

Sorry but I find it interesting that you are enthusiastic about visiting las Ramblas in Barcelona, but more hesitant about visiting towns and/or islands in Croatia, Italy, France etc which ares generally considered to be much safer.  in most of your other threads you want to remain "close to the port" -is that for safety reasons?-but in Barcelona of all places you are looking forward to spending time on one of the most nortorious streets in Europe.

Personally we thought las Ramblas was one of the tackiest, most crowded and over rated places ever, and having walked it once we never returned on our several subsequent visits.

And it is STILL notorious for being one of the highest risk streets in Europe for scams, pickpocketing and theft in general.

Try internet searching something like "pickpocketing in Barcelona" or "worst places in Europe for pickpocketing" as it consistently tops the lists no city wants to see its name on. It is currently #1 in The World's top ten  worst places for pickpocketing"

And should you decide to continue with that idea, do internet search something like  "how to avoid scams, pickpocketing and theft in Barcelona" as these people have many distraction tricks to relieve you of your valuables. and forewarned is forearmed.

And for dining you will probably do much better "off ramblas" as the places"on Ramblas"  mostly cater to tourists.

In response to this:  I have not made myself clear, I suppose.  We do ship tours.  One of them was the "Hop Off/Hop On Bus" tour.  Our fear is not the fear of any port or people, OUR FEAR IS NOT GETTING BACK TO THE PORT IN TIME.  That's it!.  Sorry for any confusion.  But these points that you've made are taken well.

Point taken. In respect to Barcelona, the Gothic Quarter is just next to La Ramblas - just cross the street to the East and you are there.  The Passeig de Gracia starts at Plaza Catalunya at the top end of las Ramblas.  Taxis are plentiful and you can get back to the pier in a few minutes. A map would be helpful to allay your fears of being too far away and missing the ship.

• Like 1

As above, many many taxis in Barcelona.  Even in slower traffic,probably no more than 30 mins from  placa Catalunya at the furthest end of Ramblas from the port. in faster time, probably around 15 minutes or so.

And as your taxi would take you directly to your pier number, probably quicker than making your way on foot to the port shuttle bus stop at the foot of Ramblas and being driven to the pier that way.

And for peace of mind consider setting your watches a half hour ahead of the "actual/real" time.

• Like 2

Hop on Hop off is a smart ship tour, if your port stop is at least 3-4 hours long. I'm a senior (70 in a few weeks) traveled with 3 other seniors on a TA from Miami to Barcelona April 2022 (Regent Splendor), and spent 4 days there. We all read "The Shadow of The Wind " by Carlos Ruiz Zafón, which has "a walk in the footsteps" walking tour of Barcelona at the end of the book, which was set in Barcelona in the 20th century (historical/fiction/mystery/murders/a little fantasy, books, restaurants, bookshops, libraries, Gothic area, Las Ramblas, beaches near the port). Many of the important places in the book (a series of books actually) are real places you can visit or pass by (wave at) on the hop-on-hop-off. There are 2 different hop on-hop off bus tours and each lasts about 2 hours, if you stay on for the full circle. You can hop on a red or green tour from the Port of Barcelona. We did both on one afternoon, not worried about a cruise departing, tho. It was raining, and we were so happy not to hop off!. Had great tapas, great meals on streets and restaurants mentioned in the book (which we also visited 3 years ago, before we read the book). We spent 4 nights same hotel on Las Ramblas as our 2019 visit, on a 6 week land trip through Morocco, Barcelona, Lisbon, Paris, London, Oxford, Brecon Wales, NYC). I would return to Barcelona in a heartbeat, and loved walking Las Ramblas alone day or night, no problemo! Happy to offer names of restaurants if requested. The book is a really fun quick read, even if you are not traveling there. 🙂

Edited by JaneRetired
grammar/typos
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JaneRetired said:

Happy to offer names of restaurants if requested. The book is a really fun quick read, even if you are not traveling there. 🙂

Names of restaurants would be appreciated. Will be there for two nights in October.

• Like 1

We were in Barcelona in May this year and did the hoho bus (Red & Blue line).  We caught the shuttle from the pier to where it drops off- shuttle cost $5 euro each way.  The Hoho bus leaves from the same spot so we waited about 5 minutes and got the Red Line. We got off at MNAC and walked down the fountain area to Montjuic fountain.  There is a stop at the top (MNAC museum ) and walked down the bottom to the right hand side- also there are public toilets just near the stop at the bottom.  We then took the Hoho to Placa Catalunya and walked down Las Ramblas- not once did we get approached by any hawkers or hustlers.  We then walked through the Gothic Quarter to the Cathedral, which was beautiful.  After that we walked to the Arc De Triomph and then through Parc de la Ciutadella.  Got back on the Hoho Blue (blue line) and stopped at Sangrada Familia.  The view from the top of the bus was amazing- it was also a great view of the Gaudi Buildings when we passed them.  We then got the Hoho bus back to the ship shuttle and got back onto the ship with at least 1 hour to spare - I have always booked trips through the ship but this one we did ourselves and it was so easy.  I think the HOHO cost us $30 euro each for the day.  

We are going back in September (overnighting there this time) and will be doing the HOHO again (our daughter is coming this time and it's a nice easy relaxed way to see the city).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Fishboy1947 said:

Names of restaurants would be appreciated. Will be there for two nights in October.

You'll find all menus online, and probably English versions as well. As with any meal suggestions, everyone has different tastes and these are mine. Covid was still causing staffing and supply chain issues in April 2022.

1. Els Quatre Gats (since 1896) Carrer de Montsió, 3.  Picasso's first exhibitions were here! We've eaten here about 4 times!  Great tapas - Catalan tomato bread and mussels for me, great paella, Crema Catalan. Great atmosphere, fabulous wines, music some nights

2. Nuria Rambla de Canaletes, 133 (since 1926) On Las Ramblas near the square, had tapas and beer Artichoke chips and homemade nachos were delicious!

3.  Creps Barcelona - about 5 locations, we only went to one (Via Laietana, 45) and had both savory creps and sweet creps on 2 or 3 visits. Owner remembered us from 3 years ago!

4. Restaurante Santa Anna on Calle Santa Anna 8. Our hotel window looked down on the restaurant and the street one one visit.  Excellent Paella and Fideuà and great wines. There are a dozen restaurants on this short and historic street. Have fun exploring!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 5 weeks later...

I was in Barcelona back in 2010 for the beginning of a cruise.  We walked Las Ramblas, and I remember seeing the statue of Christopher Columbus.  So I know that all of that part can easily be done "on our own".  

In April, I'll be on a cruise with three others (2 have never been to Barcelona before).  It was such a nice day in 2010, that I'm fine with repeating that portion of Barcelona that I mentioned above.

What I do want to see this time, for sure, is the Sagrada Familia.  I've seen online that there are 1.5 hour tours that are available.  Would such a tour be worth it?  Is it feasible to do that tour ONLY and then do the rest of our time at port "on our own"? 

Also.... there is a "Hop-On-Hop-Off" excursion that is available through the ship, and we are thinking of doing that if we think it will work with our plans.  So, is there any way that we can pre-arrange a private tour of Sagrada Familia and then work it in with a "Hop-On-Hop-Off" day?  If so, how do we safely go about doing that so that we would be sure not to miss that pre-arranged tour.

Any other part of Barcelona that we should try to include?  As far as art/architecture is concerned, seeing Sagrada Familia is probably about all we would have time for...because we want to spend the rest of our time just getting a 'feel for the city'....and especially enjoying some tapas & beverages, etc., etc.

I would buy timed tickets for the church directly from the official site. It can easily reached by public transportation, taxi or the hop on hop off bus. For the later check the official price and what your cruise line charges. There is a stop right at the world trade center where the port shuttle usually drops passengers off.

9 hours ago, carlmm said:

For walking and tapas the Born area is quite nice. 

Thanks for the info.  Rather than start a new thread, I'll try to get an answer to my next question thru this thread:

If the only things we care to do for the day are to walk Los Ramblas, go to the Sagrada Familia, and then enjoy tapas and drinks in El Born  .... can we easily do that day "on our own" as long as we buy tickets to S.F. in advance.  

Also....we will be at port from 8:00 a.m to 7:00 pm.  So 9:30-5:00 is probably the window of time we have to work with ... What itinerary would you recommend .... and for what time of day would you suggest we purchase our tickets for S.F.  (I'm reading online that they need to be purchased 2 months in advance.... April 25, 2023 is our scheduled date on the ships itinerary.

Thanks.

Yes. You can do this on your own. We took a cab from the cruise port to Sagrada Familia. We purchased our tickets in advance. Since SF is most important to you, I would suggest you set up your tickets in advance and include the guided tour for the morning. You can then do the hop on hop off bus which has a stop near Sagrada Familia and get a feel for the rest of the city since some of your party has never been before or you can walk or get a cab to the El Born area and enjoy the area at your own pace. 

• Like 1

I second Irish's suggestion. Go to SF first, maybe 9 or 9:30. Then go to Las Ramblas. 

The Born area is an easy 15 minute walk away from Las Ramblas across the Gothic Quarter. This is a beautiful,  pedestrian only area that is well worth visiting and much more interesting than Las Ramblas. You might want to consider taking a taxi to Las Ramblas and then cutting across to El Born to find a tapas place for a nice leisurely lunch.  Don't forget that lunch in Spain starts around 1:30 or 2. 

Here is a picture. 

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/photo/people-walking-under-the-pont-del-bisbe-or-bishops-royalty-free-image/1215644604

Scroll down that page or search for more to give you an idea.

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Barcelona Questions
  • 5 months later...
On 8/14/2022 at 3:30 PM, bennybear said:

I agree with the advice.  Las Ramblas is worth a miss,  see La sagrada familia,  and other of Gaudi’s works,  find a nice tapas restaurant in the L’eixample area. 

Agree.  Plenty of better places to go in L'eixample, around Placa de Catalunya, on Passeig de Gracia, Gran Via de Corte Calalanes (and stay at Hotel GranVia).  Go up to Casa Batllo or go to the Musica Catalanes building (forget the name) or the Palau Guell or Hospital Sant Pau or Parc Guell, though that's farther. The Ramblas is famous (infamous?) but totaly missable in my opinion.  Sagrada yes, though we didn't spend the time and money to go inside.  The outside was enough for me!  

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea