Live from Koningsdam August 13 RT Vancouver

SGCruiser2013

On 8/18/2022 at 11:29 AM, SGCruiser2013 said:

Per a few discussions there are just above 2000 on board, so I think that’s about 75% full. Mostly it doesn’t feel crowded at all. Exceptions are Lido at breakfast is like a bus station, early shows are full, and the good night venues like BB King’s are about 80-90% full but seating is pretty dense. My impressions - The crowd has very few kids, teens and twenty something’s. A few thirty to forty something’s. Moderate 50 to 60 something’s and a lot of 70s and 80s. Suspect some of that HAL and some also time of year since for most part we are I’m close or just into school season. 

Masking is light, I would estimate 15-20%. Employees are basically all masked. I plan to do a post later about a few Covid observations for those interested. 

So interesting about the demographics! We were on the July 23 sailing on the Koningsdam and there were more kids onboard than during a RCCL December Winter Break cruise back in 2015...You just never know! You saw so many glaciers in Glacier Bay! We had a bit of a messed up time in Glacier Bay, as towards the end of our stay in Skagway, a passenger had a serious medical emergency, and the evac plane couldn't leave Juneau that evening due to weather, so we ended up waiting at the mouth of Glacier Bay for 4 hours for the plane to land at the ranger station airstrip, so we only got to see Margerie.

On 8/21/2022 at 11:10 AM, mooseridge said:

So enjoyed your wonderful posting.  If you could, would you comment on COVID.  Any outbreaks? Quarantine? Did people mask up?

Thanks & very best wishes for future cruising!

mooseridge

I've seen in other threads sometimes hard to post about Covid without it becoming either personal/political, etc. so I didn't mention it much in this thread!  

That said...since you asked 🙂 here are a few of my own personal observations (not a doctor 🙂 not medical advice 🙂 not judgmental 🙂 haha)

Since beginning of pandemic I've been on the more cautious Covid side of equation for various reasons and have been fortunate to have a work position that has allowed me to work from home a lot. I mention this primarily to add context to the fact that I did ask around quite a bit during the cruise about how Covid was going (cabin stewards, Club Orange, Neptune lounge, etc.). Pretty much the universal response I received was along the lines of "pretty well" "not much Covid" "not as much as some other cruises". As for masking, there was not a lot of masking. Maybe 10-15% if I had to guess? You will see more masks at Lido buffet, particularly getting food, but still a minority.  

*This paragraph for Covid nerds only lol* I actually have a little device that measures CO2 concentration in the air, which is useful for work as I travel frequently and it can help with better understanding of room ventilation, quality of air, etc. which can inform risk of not masking vs. masking, etc. I did take this on the ship with me and was interested in how the various venues or locations would show. In large part - was about expected. Higher measurements (airplane - particularly before takeoff, Lido when crowded, smaller vessel for Tracy Arm excursion, bus to George Inlet lodge, BB King bottom floor when crowded), Lower measurements (pretty much everything when not crowded, anything outside or with outdoor air ventilation, and venues with high ceilings). 

There is another thread that was started recently in this HAL forum on Covid & risk and I thought a lot of different & varied opinions and perspectives offered there. My own opinion is pretty simple (and consistent with the themes that some were suggesting in that thread) - that a) there are definitely ways you can try to reduce your risk through masking, venue choices, crowd choices, excursion choices, etc. if you are Covid cautious, however, b) the current Covid variants are highly infectious and even someone who is Covid cautious & risk mitigating can easily catch the virus as all it may take is a very short period of time in close proximity to someone who has it. 

Hope that is helpful! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, SGCruiser2013 said:

I've seen in other threads sometimes hard to post about Covid without it becoming either personal/political, etc. so I didn't mention it much in this thread!  

That said...since you asked 🙂 here are a few of my own personal observations (not a doctor 🙂 not medical advice 🙂 not judgmental 🙂 haha)

Since beginning of pandemic I've been on the more cautious Covid side of equation for various reasons and have been fortunate to have a work position that has allowed me to work from home a lot. I mention this primarily to add context to the fact that I did ask around quite a bit during the cruise about how Covid was going (cabin stewards, Club Orange, Neptune lounge, etc.). Pretty much the universal response I received was along the lines of "pretty well" "not much Covid" "not as much as some other cruises". As for masking, there was not a lot of masking. Maybe 10-15% if I had to guess? You will see more masks at Lido buffet, particularly getting food, but still a minority.  

*This paragraph for Covid nerds only lol* I actually have a little device that measures CO2 concentration in the air, which is useful for work as I travel frequently and it can help with better understanding of room ventilation, quality of air, etc. which can inform risk of not masking vs. masking, etc. I did take this on the ship with me and was interested in how the various venues or locations would show. In large part - was about expected. Higher measurements (airplane - particularly before takeoff, Lido when crowded, smaller vessel for Tracy Arm excursion, bus to George Inlet lodge, BB King bottom floor when crowded), Lower measurements (pretty much everything when not crowded, anything outside or with outdoor air ventilation, and venues with high ceilings). 

There is another thread that was started recently in this HAL forum on Covid & risk and I thought a lot of different & varied opinions and perspectives offered there. My own opinion is pretty simple (and consistent with the themes that some were suggesting in that thread) - that a) there are definitely ways you can try to reduce your risk through masking, venue choices, crowd choices, excursion choices, etc. if you are Covid cautious, however, b) the current Covid variants are highly infectious and even someone who is Covid cautious & risk mitigating can easily catch the virus as all it may take is a very short period of time in close proximity to someone who has it. 

Hope that is helpful! 

Very interesting, very thoughtfully posted, very well explained and helpfully informational.  I hope you will become a regular on this HAL board and drop in once in awhile with your ideas and thoughts.  

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Like 1

Thank you so much for taking the time to post & providing your comments.    DH & I are on Niew Amsterdam for the 2 week Alaska cruise this September.   So of course, COVID is definitely on our minds,  - however, not enough to keep us from going!  We will be masking as much as possible but.....  is it truly risky.   

As SilvertoGold posted, we throughly enjoyed your postings & hope you continue to do so on future cruises.  Best wishes & safe cruising

mooseridge

On 8/16/2022 at 9:24 AM, SGCruiser2013 said:

Good morning from Skagway! Looks to be clear and cool and full of fresh air.

71897D72-CD99-4D12-9C3B-5E8047B93FC1.thumb.jpeg.06862a7b12b82b1eeb59a4559b177d77.jpeg

Today’s program:

4FF6BF52-BF5D-4DC4-9022-C502093A3DD1.thumb.jpeg.30a71f197a47905564b5b943d9448569.jpeg

61D91B05-3C9F-438F-90AE-D09AD67CA8EF.thumb.jpeg.43625fc121aad82add29423d4ac29d9f.jpeg

No shore excursion planned today. DW is zip lining so look forward to that report. Not too much in the ship activity listing so will likely walk into Skagway to explore a bit. 

Haven't noticed tea time.  I had heard it was everyday at 3:00 is this correct?  

Loved your posts.  We sail from Vancouver BC to San Diego in October, not Alaska, but our first time since COVID.  Did you use the Thermal Spa?  I purchased the packages for us both for the week.  Thanks again!

On 8/21/2022 at 8:35 AM, SGCruiser2013 said:

Activities and Entertainment: 6.5/10, just seems like wasn’t a whole lot planned each day/eve, I’ve posted the Daily Programs so you may have different view. Exceptions - BB King’s band was consistently excellent, lead singer was extremely talented and energetic

We are looking at our first HAL cruise (just a shorter one to check it out and see if we like it) on the Konigsdam.

We are looking for something more refined than Carnival, but with good entertainment.  We appreciate good live music (instrumental/vocal) and we also appreciate good "production" shows (like mini musicals).  I know we probably aren't going to get a mini musical on HAL but I am hoping the live music will make up for it.

Thank you for this review. Although our "test" cruise will just be down to Cabo (we likely won't get off the ship), this is helpful to read about.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2022 at 12:08 PM, SGCruiser2013 said:

We only had a distant view of John’s Hopkins glacier and not close enough to see calving or not. 

In Skagway, Smugglers Cove was pretty easy to find. From where we docked the bridge across was easy to locate/see from most vantage points. It’s effectively just opposite direction of the road into town. Once you cross the bridge there is a well marked trail towards Smuggler’s Cove as well as a “point” that I can’t fully remember the name of. As you walk down, the sign will eventually point left to go to the “point” (where rocks jut out into the sea - very scenic), or to the right which is towards Smuggler’s Cove. As you follow the trail, there are periodic little markers on the trees with a hiker picture that lets you know you are still on trail and that’s helpful. Was a nice walk!

How long a walk? 
TIA!

On 8/19/2022 at 1:36 AM, SGCruiser2013 said:

Awesome day in Ketchikan. Heard from several locals, tour guides, event folks what a lucky weather day to be in port. Sunny, low 70’s, low winds. Perfect.

29A47131-2380-4B0C-9C83-E93D0A32AD46.thumb.jpeg.03eef5cf720677912d29ffd8408e5f1a.jpeg

I am coming off an injury so taking it easy this cruise. This, I attended the Lumberjack show while DW was floatplaning to spy on Bears. 🇺🇸 beat 🇨🇦 today. That’s twice I’ve attended the Lumberjack show and twice the US has prevailed. Lucky charm I guess. 

64A88585-1A4F-4B3D-9958-6A6E8EA0D675.thumb.jpeg.0feafddf3fb18e7d29baf78e0e691cd5.jpeg

Then headed to George Inlet lodge for the awesome Dungeness crab feast. So good!

How it started:

794980FA-E8A0-479B-BFEF-BE24EDD9C9C4.thumb.jpeg.7531b998b3a740aa6d4814d739742661.jpeg

How it went: 

5230BC7B-B7EE-4DC4-B6DC-7427C971F23F.thumb.jpeg.d55a8a2ea5fb3c7d49f5af5271a06afa.jpeg

We were docked next to Royal Princess, what a beautiful ship. Here she is as well as a few scenic pics from the day, including an amazing sunset. Will be checking for Northern lights tonight! 

1B7E1A62-4943-4C0D-B136-9A2C84181EAF.thumb.jpeg.6e2d6b49f371babde77049b9c7e8fead.jpeg

8B9D36E6-D833-4C0E-BFA8-E4BCF5A7498F.thumb.jpeg.bbfcb536f7dcee166349f4a31fc14db6.jpeg

C38F8B26-C6D2-4FB4-9EA2-A3EDEDD4D711.thumb.jpeg.d2b6266cadbf58b7196d005628621cdc.jpeg

EA3199E4-AABE-4A6C-9183-3F668CB5995C.thumb.jpeg.a2484d3817f5c690ff7c7164d363c842.jpeg

4B1648C0-6338-44FE-A072-4C685344777F.thumb.jpeg.08e76f679d14a8d8b8be0e563d89fbe1.jpeg

Was the crab feast worth $85?  I know crab has gone waaay up but that’s seems pricy for half a crab?🤔

Highly recommend Tracy Arm!  At one point you feel you can touch the sides, port & starboard, of the mountains.   Holland used to cruise up Tracy Arm on its own - not having to book a tour.   Norway is so great but just a different feel than Tracy Arm.  Our experience anyway.

To the new 1st time Holland cruisers - no broadway productions but some really great music venues.  Lincoln Center is always our favorite.  Those young adults are so talented!  B.B.King, 2 piano guys etc all should be tried.  So hope you love your cruise.  In our humble opinion, the pinnacle ships are the best.  

Best to all,

mooseridge (leaving for 14 day Alaska tomorrow!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, mooseridge said:

Highly recommend Tracy Arm!  At one point you feel you can touch the sides, port & starboard, of the mountains.   Holland used to cruise up Tracy Arm on its own - not having to book a tour.   Norway is so great but just a different feel than Tracy Arm.  Our experience anyway.

To the new 1st time Holland cruisers - no broadway productions but some really great music venues.  Lincoln Center is always our favorite.  Those young adults are so talented!  B.B.King, 2 piano guys etc all should be tried.  So hope you love your cruise.  In our humble opinion, the pinnacle ships are the best.  

Best to all,

Thanks

8 hours ago, mooseridge said:

Best to all,

I've been looking for this excursion and can't find it.  Perhaps sold out as we leave in 15 days, but I have been looking for quite awhile.  Where would it be?

3 hours ago, Dreamer115 said:

I've been looking for this excursion and can't find it.  Perhaps sold out as we leave in 15 days, but I have been looking for quite awhile.  Where would it be?

It’s showing on the Oct 1, 2022 Konigsdam excursions for Ketchikanimage.thumb.png.8767e6ff80a2f13cfc630b4fdc5103de.png

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mooseridge said:

Best to all,

I just looked at the excursion and it says it leaves at 12:30 (we dock at 11am). One of the YouTubeS we watched from a previous Konigsdam Alaska cruise this summer showed the ship stopping in the early morning (the vlogger was having breakfast) so people taking the Misty Fjords excursion could board the tour boat.  Konigsdam then proceeded 69 Ketchikan.  

When you took the cruise tour did you leave from Ketchikan?  Lots of negative reviews on Trip Advisor saying most of the time is spent getting to and from Misty Fjord.  Rather than actually cruising it.