Tour guide in Jerusalem

Chelled123

Hi. We’re taking the Norwegian Jade with a stop in Jerusalem and a separate stop in Haifa the next day. Instead of taking of the cruise line excursions, anyone hired a tour guide for Jerusalem? If so, can you share their contact info? Also, since we stop in Ashdod (Jerusalem) one day and then the next in Haifa (Tel Aviv). Has anyone used a private tour guide in Ashdod, stayed overnight in Jerusalem or Tel Aviv, and then gotten back on the cruise the next day in Haifa? I’d love to maximize my time in Israel.

Your post will get moved to Ports of Call. My recommendation is from a 2011 cruise, but I have stayed in contact. I highly recommend GuidedToursIsrael. They helped me tremendously scheduling both port days as you are doing. 2 of the best guides I have ever had and fantastic excursions. We had a group of 12 and we could get in and around places so much more quickly than the big tour buses. 

• Like 1

I second hiring GuidedToursIsrael.  I used them for three excursions in 2019 and have booked them again for this year. They were efficient, communicated very well, and their guide was wonderful.  Depending on your religious interests, I'd go to the Dead Sea, Masada, Qumran trip from Ashdod and Jerusalem from Haifa if secular. If you are Christian, go to Jerusalem from Ashdod and the Galilee from Haifa. 

Thanks! We are booked on the Jerusalem/Dead Sea tour from Ashdod with Guided Israel Tours. From Haifa, does anyone have any recs? I’d love to see Tel Aviv while there. Currently, Guided Israel Tours doesn’t have enough signed up to do the Tel Aviv tour. We aren’t going til early Nov. though.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep in mind what day of the week you are disembarking. Israelis honoring Shabbat means Friday evening to Sunday evening is pretty limited with transportation, shops and restaurants closed, etc. 

Epixx is correct that you don't need a tour guide outside of Shabbat.

On 9/4/2022 at 11:49 AM, Markanddonna said:

Keep in mind what day of the week you are disembarking. Israelis honoring Shabbat means Friday evening to Sunday evening is pretty limited with transportation, shops and restaurants closed, etc. 

Epixx is correct that you don't need a tour guide outside of Shabbat.

We are on the Odyssey of the Seas next month and using Guided Israel Tours for the 3 days in Israel. We have had tons of communication from Leo and nothing mentioned about any limitations due to Shabbat. We will be there Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

21 hours ago, zebra said:

We are on the Odyssey of the Seas next month and using Guided Israel Tours for the 3 days in Israel. We have had tons of communication from Leo and nothing mentioned about any limitations due to Shabbat. We will be there Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

If you are on a tour with GTI, then they will provide your transportation and guide you to open places. Public transportation doesn't operate during Shabbat and many stores and restaurants are closed.  Read about traveling during Shabbat. I would trust Leo 100%.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Chelled123 said:

Thanks everyone! We’ll be in Haifa on Thurs. If we do Tel Aviv on our own by train, can I get some recs on how to spend our day there. Never been to Tel Aviv. 

Tel Aviv is more about the soaking the "atmosphere" - the beaches, the cuisine, the architecture, nightlife, those kind of things.

But from the top of my mind, a few pointers on places that I think are interesting to see/do (roughly south to north):

* Old Jaffa and Jaffa Port - nice and very historic. One of the world's most ancient ports. Quieter and more relaxed vibe than e.g Jerusalem's old city. However it is hilly and hard to navigate if you have mobility issues.

* Neve Tzedek - Jaffa's the first Jewish suburb, and the basis for Tel Aviv. Nowadays it is a quaint and pleasent neigbourhood, if somewhat gentrified. Plenty of nice caffes, art galleries and botiques to explore. The Nahum Gutman art museum is here.

* The Independance Trail - a short and flat marked trail in Tel Aviv's oldest parts and visiting several landmarks important to the city's and contry's history. It passes through Rotschild Boulevard, which is always nice to stroll in. The trail's visitor center has audio guides to rent for a self tour of the trail.

* The Carmel Market ("shouk"). Tel Aviv's market are a pretty unique twist on your typical middle-eastern souk. Several vendors offer a "bite card", a pre-paid punch card that gives you a chance to try out various local snacks and foods - that's pretty fun.

* Beach Promenade. November is off season and bathing is not recomended. But the pomanade is still pretty cool and lively. See if catching the sunset here works for you in terms of the time you need to be back in Haifa.

There's more of course. If you have any questions or specific intetests I'll be happy to suggest.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2022 at 8:06 AM, Markanddonna said:

If you are on a tour with GTI, then they will provide your transportation and guide you to open places. Public transportation doesn't operate during Shabbat and many stores and restaurants are closed.  Read about traveling during Shabbat. I would trust Leo 100%.

I have another question please.  At the various GTI stops for Bethlehem/Jerusalem was there easy access to bathrooms?

3 hours ago, zebra said:

I have another question please.  At the various GTI stops for Bethlehem/Jerusalem was there easy access to bathrooms?

Good question!  Yes, they always pointed out the restrooms. Be aware that occasionally there is a small cost, like at the Western wall. A few shekels are always a good idea to have when traveling. I believe in Bethlehem there was a free one at the gift shop.

• 8 months later...

Keep in mind that for 2024, Guided Tours Israel have changed their tours to accommodate 20-40 people. Since Israel tours are very popular, I anticipate the maximum number of 40 people will be reached. This is an increase from 6-16 people this year (NOTE: They have NOT updated their website for 2024). This is what Leo wrote to me in an email:

Sorry for the confusion.

The rates in our website is valid until 2023 – that is why we cannot update it yet

Semi-Private tour are for guest with hotel pick up and drop off only that is why there is a separate section for shore excursion

Semi-private tour with 6-10 persons: US$159 per person (subject to minimum 6 persons)

Group-tour with 20-40 persons: $89 per person (subject to minimum 20 persons.

Rate does not include meals, applicable admission fee, gratuity and other personal expenses.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

From Haifa, it looks like I can get a quick train to Tel Aviv.  Do you know how far it is from the port to the train station?  Thanks lgKh for the tips on what to do.

I didn’t realize Sunday transport was impacted by Shabbat.  I thought it was Friday evening to Saturday evening.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2023 at 1:36 PM, majmaj4 said:

From Haifa, it looks like I can get a quick train to Tel Aviv.  Do you know how far it is from the port to the train station?  Thanks lgKh for the tips on what to do.

I didn’t realize Sunday transport was impacted by Shabbat.  I thought it was Friday evening to Saturday evening.

Thanks!

Haifa port is right at the train station, Haifa Merkaz Hashmona (Central) railway station.  Well, next to each other.

On 6/22/2023 at 5:36 PM, majmaj4 said:

Thanks!

You are welcome. Sunday transport is most definitely not impacted by Shabbat. However Sunday morning is the weekly peak hour, and therefore morning trains are likely to be particularly busy; tickets can't run out so it isn't a problem, but you have a little trouble getting seats.

• 3 weeks later...