Haleakala downhill bike adventure

Gunther1

I did it many years ago, but not on a cruise excursion. Now the trip starts outside the National Park which is a bit of a disappointment. Better when it started at sunrise in the park. It was a easy downhill ride with ver little pedaling. The road is fairly steep and narrow so cars were very close. Since we were on a guided tour, we rode down in a single file. The chase vehicle at the end held up traffic. We periodically pulled over to let the cars pass. I wouldn’t feel comfortable doing it on our own without the leader and the chase vehicle. I don’t know how the cruise excursion is. You might want to post the question on the Hawaii board.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

Since you are seeking approval, best not to ask this question on the TripAdvisor Maui forum - you'll get your head ripped off and the mods won't protect you there.

Translating the bolded section - you will get very honest, frank answers.

Aloha:

We love biking down mountains. Had a great experience doing this in Flam Norway and again on an old train tressel in Idaho. But, on Maui you are biking down the only road so this is different. 

The Haleakala bike ride down the mountain is quite controversial in Maui. There have been several deaths and multiple injuries. There is a group on Maui trying to further regulate this activity. Law suits, etc.. Just google "deaths on Haleakala" for some very sad stories. I believe one of the law suits for an injury was settled in court recently as I remember seeing that on the evening news. I"m sure that will show up on a google search. 

With that, my niece and nephew really wanted to do this tour and weren't going to take my advice that it was too dangerous (they are young lol). We settled on them completing the tour WITH a guide car. There was a guide car in the front and back of the group of bikes. They were at the top for sunrise and then biked down in a caravan. They said it was great fun, but they would not want to do it without guide cars. So there's that. 

Hope that is helpful. 

• Like 1