Just off QV 14/08/2022

Lanky Lad

I am back from a great cruise on board QV and thought I would do an update on the latest restrictions on board.

I checked each bar and all now have the full proper menus on the tables.

The passenger launderettes are open again.

It's self service in the Lido including for Ice Cream.

The Spa and Gym are fully open.

Still no Cocktail Parties and you have to ask if you want a Danish at breakfast. Although this has been put down to Covid, I suspect it's more about saving money.

The smoked salmon at breakfast is a smaller potion and now comes flat on the plate.

Dinner was at 5.45 not 6pm which I found a little early but I can live with it.

I saw a few people wearing masks but they were in the minority.

Hopefully that is helpful, but I will try to answer any questions.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Thanks for reporting back. Embarkation has come in for some criticism recently, how was it ?

Are you allowed to stay in your cabin until disembarkation ?

My allocated time was 2.15. I arrived a little early to get the car checked in. The whole process went very smoothly and I was on board before 2.30 so I can't complain.

• Like 4

My embarkation was not quite so smooth as Lanky Lad's.  Our boarding time was 12:15, but due to an over-enthusiastic taxi driver we arrived around 11:45.    No matter, that half-hour wait was entirely down to us, during which the doors to the departure lounge were firmly closed, so we were queued up outside.   The on-shore embarkation process was smooth enough but then the actual boarding was delayed until 1pm,  so another half hour's wait there.

I have heard before of actual first boarding being delayed until 1pm, so maybe priority boarding is not such a perk at the moment.

Edited by WestonOne

11 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Are you allowed to stay in your cabin until disembarkation ?

We were told to stay in our cabin until 8:40am, but after breakfast we heard an announcement that things were running 15 minutes early.

On getting back to our room we turned on the TV to channel where we expected to hear any further announcements, but either there were none or we had the wrong channel.  We did not hear anything in our cabin.  

We compromised and left the cabin at 8:30 and our luggage was ready in the baggage hall.

13 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

One thing I was not happy with was Jazz in the Commodore Club at night, not the usual cocktail pianist.

May I ask: How long were they playing and were there other live music options late?

Is it possible that Cunard has found it more difficult to get a pianist to take a contract recently. Certainly on QM2 in July the pianist in the Commodore Club in the evening was sub-par compared to the excellent musicians we have had in the past. Also again pre-Covid on QV we have had excellent pianists in the Commodore Club, and they usually do have an evening off during a voyage - sometimes they have had a jazz sax player on the pianist's evening off, but they have usually been soft jazz and play some lovely music, including classic pieces, rather than the kind of jarring cacophony that leads to people leaving the venue.

• Like 1

I think I was on the same cruise (V220)?  We were Queens Grill so got there just before noon.

The first part (immediately inside the Mayflower Terminal) was quick, they checked our passport, vaccination certificate and Boarding Pass and asked for verbal confirmation we had taken a Covid test and completed the health declaration.

We were then directed to the check in but there was another screening step before, and we kind of had to repeat the same steps again, with them scanning the boarding pass.  The final check-in steps was pretty much like the other two, not sure why there are so many steps.  If you didn't do the online check-in they did your photo then.  You don't get your key card, they are in your cabin.

When we came to sit down, we were told embarkation would not be until 1pm.  There was just one girl on the coffee counter serving so it was incredibly slow to get anything so I gave up.  I am not quite sure of the time we got onboard, but going through the X-ray machine was slow.  It was getting quite crowded at that point (we were wearing masks, as were about half-a-dozen others). 

Sounds like it speeded up, but once onboard we were told departure would be delayed as there was a traffic incident (the A34 I think) and a number of guests were stuck and had been on the phone to Cunard, so they decided to delay departure, which I think was the right thing to do.

It wasn't the best check-in experience, but not the worst, and in the age of Covid I think it went okay.

• Thanks 1

Thank you WestonOne for letting me know the library has reopened, that is great news.    It’s seems things are gradually becoming more normal again.   

Does anyone know what the current situation is with regard to quarantine cabins and what happens to anybody unfortunate enough to have Covid symptoms… has the recent procedure changed at all? 

We were Queen's Grill on V220 as well.  

We went up to the grill shortly after boarding and there was quite a queue there - maybe twenty people - and it was not moving.  After a while it moved a bit, then jammed again.  The people a few in front of me were at the desk and had arranged a table for two and another for four, but they now wanted a table for six.  The maitre d' had to explain they did not have such a table available,  so all this took some time and discussion.  I think in the end they went to the 2+4 tables for lunch.  Whether it was reorganised for later, I do not know.  I did not keep a check on the time, but I think it probably took around  ten minutes queuing  to get to my table.

All our subsequent visits to the Grill were straightforward there was never any delay.

I will try to get round to writing a review, but no promises!

Edited by WestonOne
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, carlmm said:

May I ask: How long were they playing and were there other live music options late?

They started at 8.45 until late. There was a string trio and a guitarist a pianist and the Queens Room, plus the disco.

One thing I forgot to mention, they are doing snacks and canopies in the Commodore Club before dinner.

13 hours ago, WestonOne said:

My embarkation was not quite so smooth as Lanky Lad's.  Our boarding time was 12:15, but due to an over-enthusiastic taxi driver we arrived around 11:45.    No matter, that half-hour wait was entirely down to us, during which the doors to the departure lounge were firmly closed, so we were queued up outside.   The on-shore embarkation process was smooth enough but then the actual boarding was delayed until 1pm,  so another half hour's wait there.

I have heard before of actual first boarding being delayed until 1pm, so maybe priority boarding is not such a perk at the moment.

I suspect a lot of people arrived earlier than they should as it was surprising quite at 2pm.

14 hours ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

Is it possible that Cunard has found it more difficult to get a pianist to take a contract recently. Certainly on QM2 in July the pianist in the Commodore Club in the evening was sub-par compared to the excellent musicians we have had in the past. Also again pre-Covid on QV we have had excellent pianists in the Commodore Club, and they usually do have an evening off during a voyage - sometimes they have had a jazz sax player on the pianist's evening off, but they have usually been soft jazz and play some lovely music, including classic pieces, rather than the kind of jarring cacophony that leads to people leaving the venue.

It's possible they have to "make do" with fewer musicians. There was jazz a few nights in Commodore Club on QE in June. I enjoyed them more than the string trio (out of tune!!!) and the pianist (not as good as others I've heard on Cunard).  One afternoon at tea, there was a solo guitarist who was excellent. 

9 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

They started at 8.45 until late. There was a string trio and a guitarist a pianist and the Queens Room, plus the disco.

One thing I forgot to mention, they are doing snacks and canopies in the Commodore Club before dinner.

Thank you for the answer!

Good to hear about the snacks.

The jazz duo are called The Catzz and they also play on deck 9 aft lidi pool for sail away every day.and then in commodore club 5-6pm. 

Drinks snacks also in Chart room our watering hole of choice 🍾🥂

Super shows so far too. 

• Like 2

Ah yes !  the duo,  'The Catzz'  , I just loved them. ( Husband & Wife from Portugal)   a very sophisticated couple.  Smooth sounds of Jazz,  so appropriate for pre dinner cocktails, they often played in the Commodore ( June 5th) 7pm-8pm  soft jazz , reminded me of the American Bar at the Savoy. 

They often did an hour Gig in the Ballroom and able to provide good 'Foxtrot' music too, apparently the wife was a former dancer , so they were sympathetic to us Ballroom dancers. 

• Like 1