Insurance for NY cruisers?

Cloud9 Bob

I was creating a new booking today and was perplexed by something on the Celebrity site. When you get to the part where it asks if you want to include travel insurance, there is a note at the bottom that says somehting like "residents of New York must purchase insurance at time of booking".  I was wondering if this meant you must buy the Celebrity sponsored insurance or does it mean you can go with a third party such as insuremytrip.com?

I checked the Celebrity sponsored insurance limits and I could do much better for a cheaper policy cost with alternate insurance. Anyone have any light to shed on this requirement for NY residents? 

Edited by Cloud9 Bob

• Cloud9 Bob changed the title to Insurance for NY cruisers?
32 minutes ago, Cloud9 Bob said:

I was creating a new booking today and was perplexed by something on the Celebrity site. When you get to the part where it asks if you want to include travel insurance, there is a note at the bottom that says somehting like "residents of New York must purchase insurance at time of booking".  I was wondering if this meant you must buy the Celebrity sponsored insurance or does it mean you can go with a third party such as insuremytrip.com?

I checked the Celebrity sponsored insurance limits and I could do much better for a cheaper policy cost with alternate insurance. Anyone have any light to shed on this requirement for NY residents? 

I’m from Ny and could buy insurance after booking from other sites. I know because I investigated it. 

I know that there is a "time sensitive" gap that you must buy the insurance after the initial cruise deposit and before 14-21 days (varies by insurance policy) to get CFA (cancel for any reason rider). 

I guess I read too much into the wording and assumed you had to buy their insurance if you reside in NY. 😄

You need to buy travel insurance right after you book your cruise to avoid exclusions/look back periods for pre existing medical conditions.

We’ve got some interesting insurance regulations here in NY, so the policy Celebrity will sell to us is underwritten by Arch Insurance, a subsidiary of Aon, rather than being underwritten by Aon directly.  

of course you can buy coverage from any company.   It you’re still going to have issues with coverage for pre existing conditions if you wait too long to obtain coverage.

We bought the  Celeb ins from the rec NY  agency ( as well as an extra evac and med policy elsewhere) It was a hassle.  When cruise was cancelled..forgot why..we did not get a refund for the ins cost...bummer. NYS law caused it but it was really not same as having X ins policy..which would have been refunded.

This time around we just bought the other policy..great coverage..evac, primary med, etc,  we purchased it the day  after we made final payment..no issues. We are not near our cruise file but I can post the  co when we are home..