Flightease Economy class on American Airlines

Trying to figure out whether a checked bag is included in our fare.  Our booking says Economy but generally AA uses the terms Basic Economy and Premium Economy.  For Transatlantic flights it says the bag is free unless you are in Basic Economy. Does anyone have experience with this?  I called HAL, and the rep checked and said it did include a bag, but I don't know whether to believe him or not.

Edited by Native Floridian 26

I believe, that if you are going international, a single checked bag is included in Basic Economy.  That's not the case for domestic flights.

Call American to be sure.  I'd trust them more than HAL.  If you're an AAdvantage co-branded credit cards, you get a free bag regardless.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DCThunder said:

I believe, that if you are going international, a single checked bag is included in Basic Economy.  That's not the case for domestic flights.

Call American to be sure.  I'd trust them more than HAL.  If you're an AAdvantage co-branded credit cards, you get a free bag regardless.

From AA website: 

Transatlantic $0 / $75*

*Free bag excludes Basic Economy: 

No free bag for basic economy.  Hence my question as to whether anyone knows if when HAL books you in Economy, whether it's Basic or Premium.

I started to call AA, but they refer you to your 3rd party, and also tell you an inquiry call can cost $50 or something like that.

Also, chatting on the app got me nowhere.  Couldn't get past the bot.

16 hours ago, Mary229 said:

If you go to your reservation on the app or on the AA website you can view your seats on the seat map and it should give you the information.  You can even upgrade your seat. 

Doesn't say anything about the type of seat, other than what's Premium and First Class.  I guess the fact that we were able to pick seats tell me it's not Basic Economy, where you don't get a seat until after checkin.

Edited by Native Floridian 26

7 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Doesn't say anything about the type of seat, other than what's Premium and First Class.  I guess the fact that we were able to pick seats tell me it's not Basic Economy, where you don't get a seat until after checkin.

You can go to the seating chart and figure out which it is.  It takes a bit of sleuthing.  Try changing the seat, it will give you more info.  You can always back out.  Do this from the app, not the HAL website.  

did you happen to compare premium economy rates against your economy rates.  Usually it is not that much difference on Flight Ease and the larger seat is well worth the difference 

Edited by Mary229

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

You can go to the seating chart and figure out which it is.  It takes a bit of sleuthing.  Try changing the seat, it will give you more info.  You can always back out.  Do this from the app, not the HAL website.  

did you happen to compare premium economy rates against your economy rates.  Usually it is not that much difference on Flight Ease and the larger seat is well worth the difference 

Premium Economy is over 2x the amount of Economy.  The fact that I can pick seats tells me it's not Basic Economy.  So there is one bag included since it's Transatlantic.  I will confirm with AA.

• Like 1

Pretty sure Flight Ease doesn't do basic economy for international flights. Best way to make sure is get the airline booking code shown on Flight Ease page and then go to the airline's "manage your booking" page to verify.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, vicd1969 said:

Pretty sure Flight Ease doesn't do basic economy for international flights. Best way to make sure is get the airline booking code shown on Flight Ease page and then go to the airline's "manage your booking" page to verify.

You're right.  The chat person confirmed it's Main cabin, not Basic Economy.  But then they told me there was no bag included.  Then I questioned the fact that the flight was Transatlantic.  They put me on hold for several minutes, consulted with others and finally came back and said it included one checked back.  Why is it so difficult to figure this out?

53 minutes ago, vicd1969 said:

The AA manage my booking just said Economy. 

15 hours ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Why is it so difficult to figure this out?

That is the airline making it difficult, have you ever looked at the rules, the page for checked bags alone is an entire web page 

When we used HAL flights for our Europe cruise this year, the air rep told us they do not book the lowest class fair anymore after so many issues.
We flew Air Canada they offer basic economy, which does not include a checked bag, but they also offer a regular (I think main?) economy which does offer the checked bag (and seat selection) no change in actual seat type. 
I think this would be the case for all flights, as long as the class of service doesn’t change, you should be booked onto the fare that includes a checked bag. 

9 minutes ago, CruiseCruiseCruise13 said:

When we used HAL flights for our Europe cruise this year, the air rep told us they do not book the lowest class fair anymore after so many issues.
We flew Air Canada they offer basic economy, which does not include a checked bag, but they also offer a regular (I think main?) economy which does offer the checked bag (and seat selection) no change in actual seat type. 
I think this would be the case for all flights, as long as the class of service doesn’t change, you should be booked onto the fare that includes a checked bag. 

I think it depends on the airlines's policies.  With American it was the fact that is was a Transatlantic flight that put it at no charge.  It clearly says there is a fee even with Main cabin on domestic flights.