Cartel Violence in Ensenada

Mike45LC

I have been reading in the news about drug cartel violence in TJ, Ensenada and Mexicali, and the Mexican government's response.  At least two cruise ships have cancelled Ensenada port calls.  I hope that the situation gets calmed down quickly and that peace and law and order are restored.  

I remember when the cruise lines boycotted Puerto Vallarta for years due to crime and violence.  The local economy suffered, until the local authorities undertook to protect the tourists.  Crime did not disappear, but it was kept away from the tourist venues.

As cruise visitors, we like to think that we are immune, but we do need the cruise lines to insure that the local port authorities keep unrest away from us!

If these port stops are part of the itinerary the ships will make the decision to skip them or not. Regardless, taking responsibility for ones safety is something everyone should do when in ports.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I have been reading in the news about drug cartel violence in TJ, Ensenada and Mexicali, and the Mexican government's response.  At least two cruise ships have cancelled Ensenada port calls.  I hope that the situation gets calmed down quickly and that peace and law and order are restored.  

I remember when the cruise lines boycotted Puerto Vallarta for years due to crime and violence.  The local economy suffered, until the local authorities undertook to protect the tourists.  Crime did not disappear, but it was kept away from the tourist venues.

As cruise visitors, we like to think that we are immune, but we do need the cruise lines to insure that the local port authorities keep unrest away from us!

That boycot of Puerto Vallarta was certainly NOT for years! As far as I remember it was for a few months at the most. It certainly was not that dangerous as you seem to suggest. We  stay in Vallarta each winter for about 4 months since over 20 years. Never had any problem, we drive our car around, shop local, visit various parts in town and outside, have contact with many mexicans, but also canadian and american citizens who also have frequent long stays in Vallarta. 

Looking forward to another winter stay. 

• Like 2

I suspect the cruise lines wouldn't cancel stops in Ensenada unless they had at least one other Mexican port on the itinerary, because a lot of itineraries have it as their only foreign port stop and skipping it would result in PVSA violations.  

On 8/24/2022 at 4:24 PM, Vexorg said:

I suspect the cruise lines wouldn't cancel stops in Ensenada unless they had at least one other Mexican port on the itinerary, because a lot of itineraries have it as their only foreign port stop and skipping it would result in PVSA violations.  

It was Attorney Jim Walker who announced the news of the cancellations.  He did not discuss the PVSA ramifications.

• 2 weeks later...

A Princess representative called me yesterday (9/12/22) to see if I had any questions regarding an upcoming cruise I have in November. I asked her whether there were any reports of violence coming out of Ensenada and whether Princess has had any discussions regarding not stopping at that port. She said no, no reports of violence, and generally speaking, the ship is in port during the day, while any violence tends to occur at night and away from the areas where cruise passengers tend to go. I realize that is certainly no guarantee, but Princess doesn't seem to be concerned about it, at least not at this point in time. 

On 8/30/2022 at 10:06 AM, klfhngr said:

It was Mazatlán that was 'boycotted' for a loooong time by many cruise lines.

And is it better now? We have two port stops there, one each on a B2B. Have one longer ShoreX scheduled and figured to "follow the Blue Line" and walk into town on the other visit...

2 hours ago, crystalspin said:

And is it better now? We have two port stops there, one each on a B2B. Have one longer ShoreX scheduled and figured to "follow the Blue Line" and walk into town on the other visit...

We had a port stop in Mazatlan this past January. Take an open air taxi from the port area just out side the gate...several ex-pats with vests on that will help answer any questions you might have.. Very easy to do. We were dropped off at the central Mercado in town...shopped a bit and got a bite to eat at the Panama Bakery just around the corner (a very popular spot) then took a similar open air taxi (their everywhere just flag one down) back to the port. Couldn't have felt safer just as we have the many times we've done this port stop before.

We'll be back again in January 2023 and will certainly do this again.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Yes, it's safe. Just be aware of your surroundings. You'll be fine!

• Thanks 1

When the cruise ships boycotted the City, the merchants and city officials warned criminals that they would not tolerate crime against tourists, and they made life unbearable for those who violated that new rule.   Pickpockets and purse snatchers might still be around; drunk tourists who pick up bar girls might still get rolled; buy illegal drugs at your own risk.  But for the most part, it is perfectly safe!

The Blue Line is a great idea, by the people who proposed and carried it out, and for the tourists who walk it.  And the "Blue Shirts", volunteers who man the Blue Line, are wonderful people there to help tourists, looking for nothing for themselves.  They are expats from the States and Canada, so English (and/or French!) is their native language.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

The Blue Line is a great idea, by the people who proposed and carried it out, and for the tourists who walk it.  And the "Blue Shirts", volunteers who man the Blue Line, are wonderful people there to help tourists, looking for nothing for themselves.  They are expats from the States and Canada, so English (and/or French!) is their native language.  

This is wonderful to learn! I am olive-skinned but apparently cannot pass for Latina, while dr'spin is a florid/fair Scandinavian who speaks fluent Spanish with a Guadalajaran accent. That should throw them off. Seems like just striking up a convo or two with some of those Blue Shirts would be interesting.