Tracy Arm small boat excursion vs. Taku lodge flight tour

latebuyer

My sister just went to tracy arm and she didn’t think the small boat excursion was needed. She felt the glacier wasn’t impressive and what she thought was stunning was the scenery leaving tracy arm inlet. What do people think? I know the excursion is popular.

I’m also wondering if the excursion still runs if the cruise ship can’t get into tracy arm. I would be going june 25th next year and i’m concerned the cruise ship won’t get into tracy arm in which case would the excursion go ahead. I know there is really no way to know though.

I’m wondering if it would be better to take an excursion to something like the taku lodge or misty fjords flight tour? Or is tracy arm excursion better? I can’t afford to do it all. I know the taku lodge tour seems highly regarded.

I have not taken any of the flight seeing tours, but have done the small boat excursion to Tracy Arm both directly from the cruise ship and with Adventure Bound from Juneau. I would gladly take the small boat excursion again and thought it was worth it. It gives you a much closer view of the glaciers and different perspective being on the water than on the ship.

On my May cruise, the ship did get past Sawyer Island, but those on the ship only saw South Glacier from a distance, while we got to see both North & South Sawyer glacier and got very close to North Sawyer, which could not be seen from the ship. We also saw harbor seals on ice much closer than the view from the ship.

Another factor to consider is that many flight excursions get canceled due to weather. The small boat excursions usually aren’t canceled. 

Everyone enjoys different things. I have seen negative reviews of Tracy Arm and even Glacier Bay, with people saying it was boring and “if you’ve seen one glacier, you’ve seen them all”, lol. I would look at YouTube videos of both options and see which looks more interesting to you. 

Which ever one you choose, book it quickly after you have made your decision, since they both tend to sell out quickly.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks for your comments. Do you know if tracy arm is cancelled if the small boat excursion is?

I’m not sure. I think it will depend on the ice conditions. The small boats are sometimes able to maneuver through the ice when the ship cannot.  

Depending on the cruise line & itinerary,  some of the small boat excursions just meet the ship at the entrance to Tracy Arm and the ship continues to Juneau. The small boat will return to Juneau after sailing Tracy Arm,  where passengers return to the ship. In May on Carnival Splendor, we boarded the small boat and returned to the ship while in Tracy Arm.

I have not done the small boat excursion, but, I have done both the Taku Lodge excursion and the Misty Fjord flight excursion when the plane lands on a lake in the Fjord.  Passengers are helped out of the plane and stand on the plane's float for a few minutes.  That's awesome!  The beauty; the silence!  It is my #1 favorite shore excursion.  The TaKu Lodge excursion is also very worth while.  It's scenic, the salmon lunch/dinner is delicious, and often a bear shows up to lick the grill to eat the bits of salmon remaining.  Thus, it's entertaining.  It's a difficult decision, I know.  In there own way, each is worth the time and money.  

'

Thanks. I hadn’t heard of the misty fjord plane tour. I’m a little concerned about flying in such a small plane. I have been to salt spring island and i really enjoyed the scenery but i think the plane was an otter and a little bigger. 

23 hours ago, latebuyer said:

I’m a little concerned about flying in such a small plane.

The first time I flew in a small plane, I was concerned, too.  But, I screwed up my courage and did it.  I have been glad that I did so!  

I have enjoyed both the Taku Lodge and small boat tour to Tracy Arm.  The flight over the Juneau ice fields to the Taku Lodge is in a 12-passenger plane with narration, the king salmon caught the day before, and the tea is made from a large chunk of the Taku Glacier ice.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/taku-lodge/P5110045.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/taku-lodge/P5110117.jpg

The Tracy Arm excursion is always available because the small boats can dodge the house-sized ice chunks.  I have seen whales as well as sea lions on this excursion.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/tracy-arm/P6075691-2.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/tracy-arm/p9120092.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/tracy-arm/p9121408.jpg

I strongly recommend both excursions.  Whichever you choose, you can do the other on your next trip to Juneau.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks! I’m canadian so it does add up. So with a 12 passenger plane not everyone gets a window seat?

The Holland America excursion plane had six seats on each side with a center aisle.  Everybody got a window. There were also private excursion smaller planes bringing guests.   Here is a link to some of the photos of what you will experience:  Taku Lodge

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shirt-man said:

Pictures from the Lodge several years ago. Great trip.

Your picture of the bear having lunch on the grill is better than mine!

21 hours ago, Crew News said:

Here is a link to some of the photos of what you will experience:  Taku Lodge

Great pictures!  As usual.  

But not the price! I didn’t realize The taku lodge excursion would cost around 550 canadian. I may choose the other as its cheaper but still sounds like people have enjoyed it. It is my 50th next year so who knows maybe that will be my splurge. Sorry just thinking aloud here. My 245 roundtrip to saltspring seems cheap in comparison.