Single Supplement and Captain's Club Points

I had a thought today. If I'm traveling with my wife and there's 100% single supplement offered on a cruise we want to book. What's stopping us from booking two adjacent rooms (one name on each reservation) for the same we would pay for 1? Double the space. Am I missing something?

Also, with 100% supplement, do each of you get double points for sailing solo?

You are correct with both posts.  You are not "missing" anything.  That is one of the reasons why, I believe, that the 100% single supplement is so rarely offered.  In fact for Celebrity, this is the first time I can remember seeing it.

Nothing is stopping you from doing any of that.  I've heard of point chasers doing exactly what you are talking about.  Keep in mind, though, that the person in the second cabin is getting far fewer points, but you might not care about that.

29 minutes ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

I had a thought today. If I'm traveling with my wife and there's 100% single supplement offered on a cruise we want to book. What's stopping us from booking two adjacent rooms (one name on each reservation) for the same we would pay for 1? Double the space. Am I missing something?

Nothing....the DW and I booked two connecting rooms on a Mexico cruise out of LA because our aviation discount travel agent could get us balcony cabins with All In for $350 per person, minus port fees/taxes. If we tried to book 1 cabin the price was 3 times as much...really strange but now we have two connecting rooms and an extra bathroom. It's gonna be a great cruise! Now we each get double points and the cruise is also a double point cruise so 4x the points (I hope).

Edited by neverlaysup
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

Yes, you both get double points. Book connected cabins and you will have your own two bathroom suite.

I thought I read somewhere that if you aren't paying a single supplement then there are no double points for solo.  You would get the double points for the Mexico sailings though providing you meet the booking requirements.

I don't think they ever give 4x points for solo under double points sailings.  Maybe 3x at the most.   Points are pretty worthless now that they have devalued the program (probably due to all the "free points" promotions).

3 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I thought I read somewhere that if you aren't paying a single supplement then there are no double points for solo.  You would get the double points for the Mexico sailings though providing you meet the booking requirements.

I don't think they ever give 4x points for solo under double points sailings.  Maybe 3x at the most.   Points are pretty worthless now that they have devalued the program (probably due to all the "free points" promotions).

I guess we will see what happens next month!

1 hour ago, neverlaysup said:

Nothing....the DW and I booked two connecting rooms on a Mexico cruise out of LA because our aviation discount travel agent could get us balcony cabins with All In for $350 per person, minus port fees/taxes. If we tried to book 1 cabin the price was 3 times as much...really strange but now we have two connecting rooms and an extra bathroom. It's gonna be a great cruise! Now we each get double points and the cruise is also a double point cruise so 4x the points (I hope).

Nope, unfortunately solo cruisers are not eligible for the double-point cruise promotions.  You will get double points for sailing solo but that's it.  Actually, if you're not paying a single supplement, I don't think you're eligible for double points. 

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143

Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. A supplement is an amount over and above. A 100% supplement would indicate that you are paying the rate plus an extra 100%, or double, as we normally would. If you are just paying the full rate there is no supplement.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

I don't think they ever give 4x points for solo under double points sailings.  Maybe 3x at the most. 

They have.  I did it twice last year.  I sailed solo under the Celebrity-wide double points promotion, and I got 4x. 

It looks like they've changed the deal under the current promotion, though, so it's just 3x for a solo, though.  That's actually rather generous considering it's a 0% supplement.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 3:51 PM, RTShaker said:

Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. A supplement is an amount over and above. A 100% supplement would indicate that you are paying the rate plus an extra 100%, or double, as we normally would. If you are just paying the full rate there is no supplement.

I agree although in this case I was just going with the definition in the original post.