Are navigation charts still posted?

kaymoz

It's been a few years since we sailed with Oceania (on Nautica), but in my memory there were two publicly displayed map tools for passengers to track the ship the voyage -- a paper navigation chart for the specific cruise and a large video screen display (electronic map) with the current ship location, as I have seen in the past on most cruise ships, with great appreciation.  (Call me a map nerd!) 

But we recently sailed on Azamara for the first time, on a similar "R" ship to the Nautica, and the only map to view was a low-resolution current location display rotating on the TVs in the cabin.  
My question is whether the large video tracker display and cruise navigation chart are still "part of the picture" on the Oceania ships, or did they go away in the recent renovations? 

There are several apps you can use on your smart phone to follow your course, as well as those provided by the ship.  Or if you are so inclined, you can download marine charts on a laptop, and attach a GPS receiver to it...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the paper map with pins on Sirena (smaller ship) in May.  But if they had an electronic version as pictured above, I didn't see it, though it may have been there.  If not, and you want to see where a ship is real time,  where she is headed, and when she is expected to reach the next port, it's best to go on Marine Traffic (marinetraffic.com).  You can query the name of the ship and then go to the Live Map.  I think cruisemapper also shows this information, but it's less specific.  

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

2 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I saw the paper map with pins on Sirena (smaller ship) in May.  But if they had an electronic version as pictured above, I didn't see it, though it may have been there.  If not, and you want to see where a ship is real time,  where she is headed, and when she is expected to reach the next port, it's best to go on Marine Traffic (marinetraffic.com).  You can query the name of the ship and then go to the Live Map.  I think cruisemapper also shows this information, but it's less specific.  

There was an electronic version on our TV. I didn't pry the controller out of my spouse's hand very often so I don't know which channel it was on.

• Haha 2