Real Time Bidding

drvmywifecrzy

25 minutes ago, drvmywifecrzy said:

IS this new?  Any tricks here?  Will it endlessly make me raise my bid?

image.thumb.png.46b632c22a84366a7ee522fc85052823.png

Auctions have been around for a while, but maybe not in the cruise industry 🙂

It will make you bid until you're not interested anymore. 

Don't know the details but this is much more transparent than asking "how much would you pay for an upgrade". The winner could be paying much more than needed to beat the competition, maybe $50 dollar would have been enough because nobody was interested. So in fact, this may even be disadvantageous for the line. Maybe they do this when the higher category doesn't sell and any money is good? 

• Like 1

Someone mentioned this auction bidding a few weeks ago and it might have been on the Bliss. For me personally, I have a maximum dollar amount I am willing to spend to upgrade and if I knew I wasn't in the running, I would remove my bid.  A friend and I recently did an upgrade bid for a balcony on the Prima...he bid $400 more than I did.  I told him he over bid, he says I underbid. I guess we will find out of either (or neither) of us win.

1 hour ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Auctions have been around for a while, but maybe not in the cruise industry 🙂

Yes, but real auctions auction one item (or lot) at a time and there is a single winner.  Let's say I join this silliness, bid $200 on an upgrade to a balcony, and they tell me there are 20 bids higher than me.  What does that even mean?  I don't know if they have 30 balconies for bid or ten.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yes, but real auctions auction one item (or lot) at a time and there is a single winner.  Let's say I join this silliness, bid $200 on an upgrade to a balcony, and they tell me there are 20 bids higher than me.  What does that even mean?  I don't know if they have 30 balconies for bid or ten.

Yes, I don't understand how it works exactly. Maybe they auction one upgrade at a time, cabin by cabin? 

3 hours ago, drvmywifecrzy said:

IS this new?  Any tricks here?  Will it endlessly make me raise my bid?

image.thumb.png.46b632c22a84366a7ee522fc85052823.png

Yes, this is still relatively new (on NCL).

Yes, of course it is a trick. It is a marketing technique designed to make bidders feel anxious and raise their bid higher and more often then the previously used "set it and forget it" bid system.

No, it does not make you raise your bid, endlessly or otherwise. Only YOU can do that. This is simply a tool to play on the natural fear(s) of the bidder(s) and is simply designed to increase revenue for the company.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RD64 said:

All of this would be simplified if people actually booked and paid for the cabin they really wanted instead of expecting the moon without paying for it.

And leave nice suites empty because people bought an ocean view while they'd love to upgrade for $20?  There has to be some mechanism to make both guest and line happier.

• Thanks 1

It’s been around on occasional we have seen it since last fall if you read thru the main upgrade thread it seems like it’s almost always on sailings that are quite full, I just looked at your sailing and currently there are no havens in any category’s available so all this does is if you increase your bid is give them information to feed the the system to make bids higher in future sailings

13 hours ago, phoenix1181 said:

The need to WIN is going to cost some people a lot of $$$ !

I like it!

Wish they would do that on all cruises.

This is where those that use points really make out.

When I am $5000 less out of pocket than others (for longer cruises) for my balcony, I have a huge spread over every one else right from the start before we are even.

Points cost me nothing. 

15 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

Someone mentioned this auction bidding a few weeks ago and it might have been on the Bliss. For me personally, I have a maximum dollar amount I am willing to spend to upgrade and if I knew I wasn't in the running, I would remove my bid.  A friend and I recently did an upgrade bid for a balcony on the Prima...he bid $400 more than I did.  I told him he over bid, he says I underbid. I guess we will find out of either (or neither) of us win.

I think that might've been me, as this happened to my brother on the Escape:

Edited by rbxlady
  • Like 1