“Collateral Damage” due to Covid rules…on QE now

njpln

So we embarked in Ft Lauderdale on Aug 9.  They cancelled the Bermuda port, just saying it was untenable.  Three days later they said there were several Covid cases on board and everyone had to mask up.  They also closed the laundries, and gave us a discount to use their laundry service.

So we aren’t happy to wear masks to dance, but we deal with it and don’t dance so much, which disappoints me a lot.  But the big problem for me was the laundry.  It’s bad enough I have to send clothes out or hand wash the ones I don’t want them to ruin, but here’s what really ticked me off.

We pack for gala and smart attire, so that means a few of my outfits have some chiffon, which gets folds from packing.  Typically I would just take them into the launderette and steam the folds right out…easy peasy… But…

I can’t do that so I sent one out and it came back with the same fold wrinkles.  I showed it to our Butler who took it and got it done correctly.  I then sent out item number two, a simple chiffon skirt which also came back not steamed.  The butler says, no problem, I will take it back and tell the manager.  Well,  there is a problem, because she then came back and told me “they cannot do this”. And they won’t charge you.  Duh?

That it?  What kind of laundry can’t steam a clothing item?  

My next step is to talk to the concierge. Now I have 2 outfits I can’t wear because they have arbitrary decision making due to Covid.  And I’m sure I’m not the only one.    

I feel like I’m whining, but Cunard has to consider how they react to Covid at this point in time.  They could even ration out launderette time so all of us who packed fewer clothes could wash them ourselves.

Frustrating….anyway,  thanks for reading.  I’m wondering if there’s a better way to complain or if no one listens.

Edited by njpln

Hang it in  the shower - job done - but seriously no one will notice or care except you. I wear chiffon a lot on board  mainly because it doesn't need ironing. 

In fact we are using the cheap laundry deal  - 15 items for $20 to get all my partner's shirts washed and ironed -  he doesn't normally because he wears a jacket on gala nights and otherwise rocks the rumpled look - but why not for that price!   Our only issue was that we struggled to find 15 items to put in the bag. My very light weight wash and wear clothes I hand wash because they shouldn't really go through a dryer. 

I've never used Cunard laundry in the past - now I'm rather in love with it! Top tip - the liquid soap works very well for hand washing 

• Like 2

You are lucky. In QE on June, they didn’t decide to discount the laundry service until more than halfway through the trip (10 days). We packed about half what we’d need because we’d been promised by agents that the self-serve laundries would be open. Ended up doing WAY more hand washing than I wanted to before they finally gave a break on the price. Annoying, especially since we had to learn not to trust information we’re given.