Suggestion for low-key (jet lagged) activities for first day in Barcelona.

lisaatric

We will be arriving pre-cruise in Barcelona early in the morning two days before boarding. Staying in (on?) La Rambla.  Any suggestions for low key activities in the City?  I’ve scheduled a tour of all the hot spots for the following day. Thanks!

Generally, they say to keep active upon arrival as long as you can and then try to sleep near normal bed time.  

However, one option might be to ride the Hop-on-Hop-Off bus (perhaps without even getting off) so that you can get a feel for the city as a whole.  I would consider that low key.  Of course, you might risk falling asleep on the upper deck and end up riding the loop 5 times.  

A more active activity, which maybe you already have scheduled, would be to ride the cable cars up Mont Juic and enjoy the views and walk around the fort.  Then walk back down.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1

Last week we arrived at 6:45 am in Barcelona.  Arrived at the hotel (near Las Ramblas) around 9.  Checked our luggage and went to the Boqueria for some fruit juice and pastry and then to the HoHo bus.  We did go to La Pedrera while it was early and an outside visit to La Sagrada. Then we rode the bus a bit until lunch.  Back to the hotel for a little rest then off to dinner and the Magic Fountain.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The bus is a good idea!  I also saw the cable car (not included in our tour the next day.). Considering taking the train to Sitges or maybe going to Gracia. I’m sure we will figure it out!  I know we should stay active. 😊. Thank you for your suggestions. 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 9:43 PM, lisaatric said:

We will be arriving pre-cruise in Barcelona early in the morning two days before boarding. Staying in (on?) La Rambla.  Any suggestions for low key activities in the City?  I’ve scheduled a tour of all the hot spots for the following day. Thanks!

We will be arriving prior to the Wonder TA at 6:45 a.m., too, in 9 weeks.  Our plan is to check our luggage at the hotel (Hotel Jazz) and then scoot out to grab a nosh.  Then a slow walk to La Sagrada Familia stopping off at any stores that pique our fancy.  We have tickets for the 12:30 guided tour of LSF.  Once finished we will make our way back towards the hotel.  We will stop for an early dinner at the Obama Gastropub (close to Plaza de Catalunya, great prices AND they don't close for siesta times like many other restaurants do) before returning to the hotel for an early night.  We have a Spain Day Tour the following day that will do Barcelona sights including Park Guell and Montserrat.  Speaking of Park Guell, that would be a fantastic thing to do for you.  It opens early, too.

Edited by Teeara
  • Like 1

Walking from Hotel Jazz to LSF is a bit of a hike.  A few Euros for a taxi might be worth it.  We did Parc G when it opened on Day 2.  The children had a tough time getting up due to jet lag but were troopers and enjoyed the park

• Like 1

10 hours ago, caripoo said:

Check in to your hotel, splash some water on your face, have breakfast....and hit the pavement, Hop on Hop off bus....Lunch, Dinner and normal bed time....

Even if your room isn't ready, the hotel will check your bags and let you splash water on your face.

• Like 1

Go to the beach.   Even if you are not going to the sand, you can sit in a restaurant, eat well and relax.

Taking kids to a big, interesting to you church, may not be the best thing if that's not their interest.

I find the markets very interesting.   By design, there is always one in each neighborhood in the city.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, papadave said:

Go to the beach.   Even if you are not going to the sand, you can sit in a restaurant, eat well and relax.

Taking kids to a big, interesting to you church, may not be the best thing if that's not their interest.

I find the markets very interesting.   By design, there is always one in each neighborhood in the city.

No kids. ❤️  Thought about the beach!  

On 8/23/2022 at 8:51 PM, lisaatric said:

The bus is a good idea!  I also saw the cable car (not included in our tour the next day.). Considering taking the train to Sitges or maybe going to Gracia. I’m sure we will figure it out!  I know we should stay active. 😊. Thank you for your suggestions. 

Speaking of Sitges, my husband and I used to live in Spain and we would go to Sitges on a regular basis. That was many years ago but it has more of a bar/tapas vibe than the "big city". 

• Like 1

How did you select Hotel Jazz?  We are booked there.  Our flight arrives at 8:40 am after 20 hours of travel.   I know we should stay up but unfortunately I do not think that will be possible for my DH.  I’d love to find a hotel where I could pay for an early check on.  Other wise, he might’ve sleeping on the Ho Ho bus.🤣

• 3 weeks later...

When we went to Barcelona in 2019 we arrived around 8 am and went to the hotel - they had lockers to store our luggage until check-in.  We just walked around taking in the sights of the city.  We even took a boat ride, got some lunch, walked though the gothic section, took a ton of pictures...before I knew it, it was time to check in.  Got unpacked (we also had 2 days prior to cruise), enjoyed the balcony of our hotel for a bit, walked around a bit more looking for a dinner spot (most seemed to offer the same thing on our section of Las Ramblas) and by 8 pm local time we were wiped out! We had a tour scheduled to pick us up early the next morning - but going to bed early got us on schedule for the rest of the trip. Wish I could say the same for returning to the states.  After 19 days in Europe it took me a good 2 weeks to get back to our time zone....uuuggghhhhh.

• 5 weeks later...

We are arriving two days before the cruise early in the morning on a Sunday and staying two nights at AC Hotel Diagonal L'Illa.  Does anyone have any comments on this hotel or how far it is from the cruise port for Tuesday morning.   Thanks in advance!

I would suggest one of the free tours of the Gothic quarter with Runner Bean on some othet company. 

There is no commitment if you don't make it or you can cut it short if you need to.  

But it is really a nice tour in a beautiful area.  No stress and fun.

• Like 2