What are your favorite most memorable complimentary dishes from HAL?

zhuangcorp

51 minutes ago, firsttimer1971 said:

I am not sure exactly when they are available because I still have to make my first cruise with HAL (just 449 more nights before we go) but I did see a youtube video of food on one of the HAL cruises and they had "kroketten" as a late night snack at the Lido Market.

Bitterballen and kroketten are essentially the same thing, the only difference being the shape. A bitterbal is round and a kroket is longer. I attached a picture showing both.

So, if you can't find a bitterbal, you might get be able to find a kroket in the evening at the lido Market.

VG-DB-OVEN-FORM-PAGE-ELEMENT-011.png

Edit: found the video showing the kroketten and some other typical dutch treats after 24 seconds.

I noticed that the video you shared was filmed on the Nieuw Statendam (Pinnacle Class), which has the Grand Dutch Cafe venue. I'm hoping that it's available on other ships as well (that don't have the Dutch Cafe). 🙂

3 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Awesome... thanks! Looking forward to trying one or both of them on our NA sailing next March!

I hope you will be able to do so.  They don't always appear.  If you can contact the Food and Beverage Manager, make a request.  It might work.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Awesome... thanks! Looking forward to trying one or both of them on our NA sailing next March!

I hope you will be able to do so.  They don't always appear.  If you can contact the Food and Beverage Manager, make a request.  It might work.  

On 8/24/2022 at 9:00 AM, *Miss G* said:

I HATE the taste of sugar substitute, and can spot it a mile away, but whatever they do to the Black Forest Cake they have managed to remove that “flavor”.  I had low expectations and was pleasantly surprised.  No idea how they do it but I’m not complaining.  

One of my favorites, too! Tastes perfectly normal, sweet-wise.

• Like 1

Pumpkin Ravioli. Dh and I have a habit of ordering our meaty dishes but then ordering a third dish of the vegetarian option in the MDR to share almost like a side when it sounds tasty as often it is very good and FRESH. It was a Thanksgiving cruise many moons ago and Pumpkin Ravioli was on the menu. We love ravioli and pumpkin so what the hay. It came in a delightful creamy sauce I think with a touch of nutmeg. It was the best ravioli I have ever had. Super fresh. Just lovely. If you ever see it, get it. 

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 7

26 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Pumpkin Ravioli. Dh and I have a habit of ordering our meaty dishes but then ordering a third dish of the vegetarian option in the MDR to share almost like a side when it sounds tasty as often it is very good and FRESH. It was a Thanksgiving cruise many moons ago and Pumpkin Ravioli was on the menu. We love ravioli and pumpkin so what the hay. It came in a delightful creamy sauce I think with a touch of nutmeg. It was the best ravioli I have ever had. Super fresh. Just lovely. If you ever see it, get it. 

Hopefully it makes the menu at other times than just the holidays... sounds really tasty!

Thanks for the description and pictures of bitterballen and kroketten.  They look delicious.  I will definitely try them on our November Nieuw Statendam cruise.   We sailed on this ship once and really liked it.  We did not get to eat at The Dutch Cafe the previous cruise.  It was closed when we went by it.  I need to make note of the hours it is open.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, zhuangcorp said:

Also, the MDR lunch has a Veal Kroket sandwich, and the Dutch Cafe has a Veal Ragout Kroket. Are those 2 items actually the same dish?

Yes, they are the same. 

A bitterbal is eaten 99% of the time out of hand as a snack.

A kroket can be eaten out of hand but a lot of the time it is eaten on a piece of white bread or on a soft white bun. With bread/bun, it is a favorite lunch dish and also appears on most menus at restaurants in the children's menu section (but don't be fooled, adults eat them too. I read yesterday that the average Dutch person eats 25 kroketten a year).

So, in the MDR it is served as a lunch dish, in the Dutch Cafe as a snack but the product is identical.

In the Netherlands you can even order a McKroket at McDonalds but I prefer the taste of a "real, normal" kroket. 

• Like 2

I'm still wondering it this is offered anywhere (MDR, Lido buffet) on non Pinnacle Class ships that do not have the Grand Dutch Cafe venue. Does anyone know?

I'm hoping to be able to enjoy this on Nieuw Amsterdam (Signature Class/no Grand Dutch Cafe) next Spring. 🙂

15 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

I'm still wondering it this is offered anywhere (MDR, Lido buffet) on non Pinnacle Class ships that do not have the Grand Dutch Cafe venue. Does anyone know?

I'm hoping to be able to enjoy this on Nieuw Amsterdam (Signature Class/no Grand Dutch Cafe) next Spring. 🙂

Well as Firsttimer said, the Veal Ragout Kroket in MDR lunch is the same item as Bitterballen. 

5 minutes ago, zhuangcorp said:

Well as Firsttimer said, the Veal Ragout Kroket in MDR lunch is the same item as Bitterballen. 

Correct, so hopefully the Veal Ragout Kroket  will be available for those who do not have a Grand Dutch Café venue at either the MDR for lunch or at the Lido as late-night snack. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, firsttimer1971 said:

Correct, so hopefully the Veal Ragout Kroket  will be available for those who do not have a Grand Dutch Café venue at either the MDR for lunch or at the Lido as late-night snack. 

Fingers crossed 🤞

On July 3, 2011, we took a very special 9 night Rotterdam TA crossing from Rotterdam to NYC.  We were not aware (until we boarded the ship) that it was a special cruise to Commemorate HAL's evolution from traditional TA cruises (which brought over many immigrants) to a cruise line.  Because this cruise was considered very special to the Dutch, our voyage was packed with mostly Dutch citizens (it was a wild fun group).  On that voyage, Bitterballen was served every day as an hors d'oeuvre in all the bars.  It was the first time we ever had this treat, and those darn things were addictive (I probably gained 5 pounds just from eating bitterballen).   We are convinced that cruise must have broken all previous HAL records for the most beer and bitterballen served on a single voyage :).

Hank

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/25/2022 at 7:25 AM, firsttimer1971 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.d57a99135f3c5b466082fe0f4cb48ed0.jpeg

It is a typical Dutch treat and they are small fried crispy balls with a filling of ragout (very dense stew) with veal or beef (prawns or cheese is also possible). They taste great with some mustard and a nice cold beer. 

That looks and sounds delicious!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

On July 3, 2011, we took a very special 9 night Rotterdam TA crossing from Rotterdam to NYC.  We were not aware (until we boarded the ship) that it was a special cruise to Commemorate HAL's evolution from traditional TA cruises (which brought over many immigrants) to a cruise line.  Because this cruise was considered very special to the Dutch, our voyage was packed with mostly Dutch citizens (it was a wild fun group).  On that voyage, Bitterballen was served every day as an hors d'oeuvre in all the bars.  It was the first time we ever had this treat, and those darn things were addictive (I probably gained 5 pounds just from eating bitterballen).   We are convinced that cruise must have broken all previous HAL records for the most beer and bitterballen served on a single voyage :).

Hank

Maybe 7 or 8 years ago bitterballen was served at every cocktail party I went to. Then it went to ground mystery meat on a cracker 🤮.  Now nothing.  At least there is alcohol 😛.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

On July 3, 2011, we took a very special 9 night Rotterdam TA crossing from Rotterdam to NYC.  We were not aware (until we boarded the ship) that it was a special cruise to Commemorate HAL's evolution from traditional TA cruises (which brought over many immigrants) to a cruise line

I sailed on Rotterdam V on July 31, 1971 at the time when that transition was taking place.  European crew were being replaced by Indonesians.  (Filipino's?  Not sure that they had yet entered the international mix.)  There was tension among some of the crew about this change which I have detailed before.  This was my second cruise and it had no impact on the guest experience.  Your cruise was, indeed, an anniversary cruise.  It was not long after 1971 that Holland America Lines became Holland America Cruises.  

15 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Maybe 7 or 8 years ago bitterballen was served at every cocktail party I went to. Then it went to ground mystery meat on a cracker 🤮.  Now nothing.  At least there is alcohol 😛.

I've never had it.  I'd be happy with sardines on saltines anytime anywhere.  They don't do that on the ships....too bad.

On 8/25/2022 at 4:25 AM, firsttimer1971 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.d57a99135f3c5b466082fe0f4cb48ed0.jpeg

It is a typical Dutch treat and they are small fried crispy balls with a filling of ragout (very dense stew) with veal or beef (prawns or cheese is also possible). They taste great with some mustard and a nice cold beer. 

What is the difference between bitterballen and Kroket?   Enjoyed Kroket in the NL yet never saw bitterballen.   

Sorry, 

After reading the entire thread; the difference between Bitterballen and Kroket.. the shape!  When visiting the NL,   yes,  obvious from USA  they sold us those round treats advertised as Kroket!!   We certainly did not get the long version.  Next time we will demand Kroket..   not those paltry Bitterballen balls.    Thank you for the explanation.  Tot Ziens..

• Like 2

Really? Sold you bitterballen als kroket? Why would they do that?

The advantage of bitterballen is that they are easier to eat out of hand and you can eat more of them before you realize you just ate a whole platter of them 🙂

In the Netherlands you will be able to order a portie bitterballen at most Café's and bars but not kroketten (unless as part of lunch/diner). 

Tot ziens!

Edited by firsttimer1971
  • Like 1