Internet

littlechip

Carnival offers three Internet packages: Social; Value and Premium. We get the Value package and we buy it pre-cruise at the discount price. You can find out the details by Googling "Carnival Internet Plans". The first one permits access to only social media like Facebook and SnapChat, etc. and some airline sites. The middle plan permits access to almost all sites and I like that. I like to read the newspaper, use email, and have access to the travel blogging site I use, among others. None of the plans allow streaming. Access is variable. It is not as consistent as you would have at home or office. You frequently are thrown off and have to sign back in. Only once device can be used at a time. You can switch back and forth between a smartphone and a tablet, but you must sign off one and then sign on to the other. Be sure to download the Carnival Hub app on all devices you plan to use before sailing.

• Like 1

I usually go with the value package, I am able to text others with iMessage and can surf the web, this past week I had to upgrade mid-way into my cruise on Carnival Spirit because a Zoom meeting wouldn't connect but upgrading to Premium, I was able to connect to the Zoom meeting. I also notice just a slight increase in speed since I was using the Value plan for 5 days already when I upgraded too Premium.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, littlechip said:

Please forgive me, I’m sure this question has been asked but I’m on my phone and can’t figure out how to search topics.

I’m sailing on Carnival Magic, what is my best bet for internet please.

I think it depends on what you want to do.  ahl has given a pretty good overview.   We always got the middle plan and it worked fine for our needs.

7 minutes ago, wemjam said:

I think it depends on what you want to do.  ahl has given a pretty good overview.   We always got the middle plan and it worked fine for our needs.

This is correct. Depends on what you’re looking for. We get the social because all I do is text and my wife gets on Facebook. But if you need to surf the net and do other things, social won’t work.

1 hour ago, littlechip said:

Sorry, I should have said that they aren’t selling the packages because something is broken in the carnival magic.

Since the Internet is out on the ship currently, you will have to find Wi-Fi in the ports or use your cell service if it works in the ports. It’s good to disconnect while on vacation anyway and will save you some money.

1 hour ago, littlechip said:

Sorry, I should have said that they aren’t selling the packages because something is broken in the carnival magic.

If the ship internet for public use is not available on the ship, then you are pretty much SOL until you get into port. Once in port, you can either use your cell service ($$$$$) or look for some place that offers free wifi.

40 minutes ago, skywalkr2 said:

If you have T-Mobile typically the ports should be covered under your normal plan I believe.

The data is very slow when roaming internationally , but for calling or text messaging it is a great benefit to T-Mobile customers I agree.

What I do is sign up my cell phone for the $10 a day International Plan.  You pull into port and it is just like home.  At sea the ship middle Wi-Fi plan has been good unless you have to have Zoom /Teams calls.  For actual phone calls and texts the cell companies sometimes have ship packages.  

I've only gone with the social in the past. Being able to message people on social media and go on Facebook has been plenty for me. It also includes airline sites for checking in. Then I can use my T-Mobile or other Wifi at ports.