Are hotels getting some competition?

Markanddonna

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

…I don't know how those HOA's are governed but the HOA fees were a lot less than condo fees. The over 55 had a $200 added fee. …

What does that “…$200 added fee…” mean - monthly, quarterly or annually?    Our quarterly common charges are $895 — but we are self-managed, having enough interested and capable people to do it.  Most (virtually all larger) developments have “management companies” to hire and monitor service providers - which really adds to the cost:  you have to pay the management company for their efforts - and they are not that diligent about negotiating terms, because it is not their money going to pay the providers.

25 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

What does that “…$200 added fee…” mean - monthly, quarterly or annually?    Our quarterly common charges are $895 — but we are self-managed, having enough interested and capable people to do it.  Most (virtually all larger) developments have “management companies” to hire and monitor service providers - which really adds to the cost:  you have to pay the management company for their efforts - and they are not that diligent about negotiating terms, because it is not their money going to pay the providers.

The $200 was the monthly fee and the $200 added fee was also monthly. That HOA is still under the control of the developer, they are still building out. I expect with the amenities offered and the size, it is quite large with a pool, lake, parkland etc. It won't be self managed. A large HOA can also hire their own management employees instead of a management company. I prefer that over a mnagement company that has their own interests, as you say not their own money. Both the Maryland condo and Texas condo have that form of self management. Too big for the residents to do the work. Both have staffed management offices with the HOA doing the hiring and firing. 

Edited by Charles4515

On 8/30/2022 at 12:51 PM, Markanddonna said:

If you folks want to see inexpensive travel, consider going to Poland. I am always amazed at the high quality hotels and apartments, the inexpensive food, and transportation.

Absolutely agree.  Krakow in particular.  I was there as a college student in the summer of '74 for 5 weeks and then went back in 2016 as a retired tourist.  Night and day.  If for some reason I couldn't live in the US, Krakow, Poland would be my first choice.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Absolutely agree.  Krakow in particular.  I was there as a college student in the summer of '74 for 5 weeks and then went back in 2016 as a retired tourist.  Night and day.  If for some reason I couldn't live in the US, Krakow, Poland would be my first choice.

I agree about Krakow. That is my favorite European city. All of my upcoming hotel or apartment reservations are around $60-70 all over Poland with one in Sanok being $29.  Transportation is also inexpensive. I've always been impressed with the cleanliness, modernity of most hotels and apartments, and the inexpensive very fresh and healthy foods in Poland. Most people in the cities and younger people under 40 speak English. The taxi drivers from Ukraine in Poland are a different story. Bring paper to write out your info.

• Like 1