Jet Lag & Night Tour

RTR 21-0

Having never flown internationally we've never experienced jet lag.  I know a lot can change with our flight between now and next May but trying to figure out our time in Rome as best I can.  We'll fly out Thursday morning, arrive in Rome Friday around 8:00 a.m.  I've read it's best to stay awake once arriving, get some sunlight, etc.  I was thinking we'd walk around city center, visit Pantheon, Spanish Steps, etc. for a little while on Friday before check in.  Saturday morning we'd go to Vatican City.   I thought it would be pretty cool to see the Colosseum at night and wondering if it would be best to book that Friday or Saturday night?  Some of the ones I've seen offered run about two hours and start around 7 or 8.  Would prefer Friday night but not sure if a nap after check in would screw up sleeping later that night.  While I think it would be doable, trying to fit both Vatican City and Colosseum in during the day Saturday seems a bit much.  I'd like to have a little energy boarding the ship Sunday.  Thoughts?

I'm usually very buoyed up by my enthusiasm and excitement of being in Rome, but even then I usually fade pretty quickly after eating my first (carb heavy) dinner in Rome on arrival day. Gotta have that pasta!

What I'd suggest is that you abandon the idea of the Colosseum at night. Truthfully, you will see so much more during daylight hours, cool as an evening visit may sound. I've not done the Colosseum night tour, but I have done the evening visits to the Forum of Augustus and the Forum of Caesar, and it gets pretty dark other than the maybe 10% of details that are lit up.

So if you only have the arrival day and the following day, you could book a tour of the Colosseum on the first afternoon, then eat dinner and go to bed. Do the Vatican the following day.  You may still have time and energy to also walk around and see the Pantheon (a must!) and Trevi and Piazza Navona.  Give the Spanish Steps a miss unless your hotel is near it.

Also keep in mind that you can have time for a short walk before heading out on Sunday to your ship. The centro storico early on a Sunday morning is nice and fairly empty of others. Although the Pantheon may be closed for services...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1