Free at Sea Bar Gratuities from a NCL Newbie

quilter49

My husband and I are looking at booking a Transatlantic cruise to Europe next year. I understand that a $20 service charge is added. My question is are you charged if you don't drink that day or you only have a soda or one glass of soda? Thank you!

@quilter49

I presume that you mean a 20% service charge on the Beverage Package.  Here are the headings of the Booking Components on a Confirmatory Email of mine

Guest Fare 

Gov Tax/Port Exp/Fees 

Savings 

Bev Srv Charge 

Din Srv Charge 

Prepaid Service Charges 

Gross Total.

Note the Service Charges will be included in what you have to pay before Final Payment date.

You pay the full Service Charge "up front".

• Like 1

its factored into the entire price. doesnt matter if you have "0" drinks per day, 10 drinks per day, or 50 drinks per day (alhough i certainly wouldnt recommend that).

also, if you're not big drinkers, you can have this charge removed from your bill prior to sailing, but dont wait until the last minute. this way, you pay for the drinks as you go.so if one or 2 days go by and you dont have any drinks,or just 1 or 2 you'll be charged accordingly. that being said, however, if you break it down, getting the drink package isnt a bad deal.

example:  i like to order a glass of champagne or mimosa with breakfast. maybe a cocktail with lunch, and i cant resist sugarcane (mojito bar). an ice cold heineken does wonders coming back from a shore excursion, especially if was in the warmer climates. when i got back from my 1st excursion from tulum, one wasnt enough. it was hot!hot!hot! no shade anywhere. believe me, the beer was great, and i would have killed for one even if i had to pay.

another drink (chivas) before dinner, and a glass of port wine after dinner,

If you select the Drink Package as a perk, the gratuity charge is included as a line item in your total price when you book.  You won't be charged daily on the cruise like daily gratuities for the crew. 

The Free at Sea drink and dining package are auto selected when you are booking so if you didn't deselect them, the total price you are looking at includes the gratuities already.  

Edited by Liljo22
  • Thanks 1