Receiving and sending text messages with internet package

megs193

On 8/26/2022 at 10:52 AM, megs193 said:

We do all have iPhones. Will the phone automatically send an iMessage once the service is turned off or do I need to send the message differently?

It has worked for us just as normal at home with our iPhones.  At times the wifi can glitch and send as SMS or shows text "failed" but really didn't.  Once we leave port I go to "Airplane" mode and only connect via ship wifi.  You can even do wifi calling if your phone allows it.  We have done Facetime, texted, emailed, surf internet, used apps, etc just like at home.  Only issue is trying to send photos or videos as they seem to lock up if you try to send more than a couple photos at a time.  It's cheaper to put all the wifi packages you need on one account rather than everybody getting their own.  I bought four last time on just my account and #4 only cost me about $5 a day.  

On 8/27/2022 at 2:55 PM, rudeney said:

Actually, it shuts of all communication connections, so that's why you have to switch WiFi back on.  And if you have any Bluetooth devices you'll want to use (watch, earbuds, speakers, etc.) you'll need to switch tit back on, too.  

Interesting, my iPhone with ATT doesn't shut off WiFi or Bluetooth when I go to Airplane mode.  Only shuts off all my cellular connections.  

32 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Interesting, my iPhone with ATT doesn't shut off WiFi or Bluetooth when I go to Airplane mode.  Only shuts off all my cellular connections.  

My Samsung shuts off all communication features (cellular, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.) when I put it in Airplane Mode.  I guess iPhones don't do that.  Or maybe there is a setting somewhere to choose to leave WiFi and BT on? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ustasmom said:

I am on a Royal ship right now, at sea so only on their wifi. My phone is in airplane mode. I have received 4 calls since sailaway. One was from my daughter (Samsung to my iPhone.) There were 2 spam calls (are you kidding me?) And today a call was from a landline.

I am at a loss as to what is going on.

Check your phone settings and make sure it shows cellular off in the individual setting, not just airplane mode.

Even with airplane mode WiFI and or cellular can be turned on in their individual setting areas.

As you can see from the answers not really an easy answer. TURN OFF CELLULAR. If you want to make a cellular call from sea turn back on and you should get Cellular at sea come up. It will advise you that cost will be 2.99 a minute or whatever it is. Also note that text messages through them are .50 each outgoing .05 cents a minute. These calls and texts are billed via your normal carrier.

On islands if you turn on cellular you will usually get local carrier pop up and instruct you on pricing. Some carriers like Verizon you can sign up for travel plan that might cost $10 a day unlimited minutes and data on the island IF they have an agreement.

Bottom line is you need to research carefully. As many said if on wi-fi only on iphone you can text to another iphone. When we sail I can text with grand daughters as they have iphone, there mother, my daughter, uses something else and I can't.

Botton line for me NEVER have your CELLULAR ON unless you plan to make a call. And know if you are using cellular to text you will have a bill when you get home. NEVER use cellular for DATA. I have seen people send a picture home and not realize cost them $45 or more. Again these charges are billed via you home carrier you will not see them until you get home on your normal cell bill.

Oh that $10 Verizon unlimited is by line. So if on island and use that. You make call on your phone $10 for day, then wife uses her phone another $10 for day for her line.

That Verizon thing is Travel Pass, you have to turn it on for your phone, I imagin other carriers have similar.

https://www.verizon.com/plans/international/international-travel/

George in NY

Edited by Georgeny
added something

• 1 year later...

Thanks for that question! I hadn't even thought of that and I also have a petsitter. I leave in 2 days - so glad I saw your post. I already have WhatsApp, I just have to make sure my sitter does.

On 8/26/2022 at 8:45 AM, Dewaldcruiser said:

I have T-Mobile and an Android phone and I have no difficulty sending or receiving text messages with RCI's internet package.  Been on several Royal ships post-covid and all worked the same.

Ditto 

37 minutes ago, Mickey Dope said:

Thanks for that question! I hadn't even thought of that and I also have a petsitter. I leave in 2 days - so glad I saw your post. I already have WhatsApp, I just have to make sure my sitter does.

What cell phone provider do you have?

WI-FI calling and texting inbound is not 100% reliable. There have been plenty of times I didn't get messages until we returned to the US.

You can't use Wi-Fi Calling in China, Cuba, North Korea, India, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, or Vietnam. 

• Like 1