What do I NOT know about Bermuda? A FAQ-all?

EngIceDave

I am doing some research on maybe going to Bermuda on a last minute deal and remember that they have some odd or special rules?

If ship is there three days, is it tied up the entire time to walk on and off? 

What are all the Bermuda secrets and need to know things? I've been on a bunch of cruises, so it's really what makes this stop different? No cars, right? Only golf carts? Is it walking friendly? 

Help, please. 

Thank you so much for any help

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

I am doing some research on maybe going to Bermuda on a last minute deal and remember that they have some odd or special rules?

What are all the Bermuda secrets and need to know things? I've been on a bunch of cruises, so it's really what makes this stop different? No cars, right? Only golf carts? Is it walking friendly? 

Help, please. 

You will have to apply for a travel authorization. https://www.gov.bm/cruise-travel-authorisation

If the ship is there three days the ship is docked and you can walk on and off at any time.  

There are cars but you can't rent them except 2 seater electric mini cars. Golf carts are only on golf courses. There are ferries, buses and taxis for getting around. Hamilton, St. George and the Dockyard are walkable but not in between.

A good place to start research is the Bermuda Tourism website. https://www.gotobermuda.com 

We absolutely love Bermuda and have been on three cruises there, last in May and we are going again in October! What I love about Bermuda verses other Caribbean cruises is that you typically get at least one overnight in the port. That means you can truly explore the island at your leisure without scrambling to get back to the boat in time. Everyone on the island speaks English and accepts American money. 

The island is small and one thing we like to do is take the ferry to St. George's (although I hear it is currently not running) and make our way back leisurely by bus. You can get unlimited public transportation passes that are really reasonable and the public transit is clean and easy to navigate. 

If you dock at King's Warf definitely make sure you check out the National Museum of Bermuda. You could easily spend 3-4 hours there exploring the different exhibits and fort, commissioner's house, and grounds. I had no idea about Bermuda's military history and close ties to the early settlers in Jamestown, VA.

If you're adventurous and mobile check out the crystal caves! It does involve hundreds of steep steps in the dark though, so be warned!

Horseshoe Bay is their famous beach, but also check out Tobacco Bay and Clearwater Beach.

We love their small Aquarium and Zoo. 

There is a nice waterside district in Hamilton with shopping and restaurants.

There is a lot to love about Bermuda!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

My wife loves shopping but of course she wants everything cheap. She like jewels and upscale stuff.

Not to say that everything is expensive but most of the shopping on the island is either catered to locals for everyday things or the extremely wealthy that live there and the insurance folks who frequent the island for business. It's not like a Caribbean island where there are diamond and pearl shops every three feet. 

There are plenty of moderately priced souvenirs, duty free this and that, but overall shopping on the island is much more expensive than you find on most other islands.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CleverUserNameHere said:

We absolutely love Bermuda and have been on three cruises there, last in May and we are going again in October! What I love about Bermuda verses other Caribbean cruises is that you typically get at least one overnight in the port. That means you can truly explore the island at your leisure without scrambling to get back to the boat in time. Everyone on the island speaks English and accepts American money. 

The island is small and one thing we like to do is take the ferry to St. George's (although I hear it is currently not running) and make our way back leisurely by bus. You can get unlimited public transportation passes that are really reasonable and the public transit is clean and easy to navigate. 

If you dock at King's Warf definitely make sure you check out the National Museum of Bermuda. You could easily spend 3-4 hours there exploring the different exhibits and fort, commissioner's house, and grounds. I had no idea about Bermuda's military history and close ties to the early settlers in Jamestown, VA.

If you're adventurous and mobile check out the crystal caves! It does involve hundreds of steep steps in the dark though, so be warned!

Horseshoe Bay is their famous beach, but also check out Tobacco Bay and Clearwater Beach.

We love their small Aquarium and Zoo. 

There is a nice waterside district in Hamilton with shopping and restaurants.

There is a lot to love about Bermuda!

I know the have local buses and a shuttle that takes you to Horseshoe Beach.

do they offer that for Tobacco Bay? Or even Clearwater?

5 minutes ago, KATHYMAC68 said:

I know the have local buses and a shuttle that takes you to Horseshoe Beach.

do they offer that for Tobacco Bay? Or even Clearwater?

There are no shuttles to Clearwater or Tobacco. You can take a public bus to Clearwater but it only runs once an hour. I recommend a taxi. There are no public buses to Tobacco. You can take a taxi or walk from the town square. From the town square to Tobacco is about a 12 minute walk. Unfortunately the public ferry to St. George is suspended.  Cruise passengers on NCL have a private ferry to St.George.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CleverUserNameHere said:

I know that.. other cruises, those in the Caribbean

What you said was, “What I love about Bermuda versus other Caribbean cruises …”  That construct places Bermuda in the Caribbean. It’s been clear to me over the years here on CC that many folks mistakenly think Bermuda is in the Caribbean, hence my clarification for readers. Glad you are not one of those folks. 😊

On 8/26/2022 at 1:05 PM, EngIceDave said:

Help, please. 

I just got back from Bermuda.  It is wonderful!

Yes, the ship, unless you are told differently, will be open 24 hours a day for on and off.

There are lots of cars (it's not crazy busy).  Remember, they drive on the left there.  I did not see anyone driving a golf cart, but I wasn't at a golf course.  It is pedestrian friendly.  There are sidewalks.  I did not venture to St. Georges or Hamilton this time.  There is limited shopping at the Royal Navy Dockyard.  There are a few shops.  You can buy some souvenirs.  I'm not sure what you are looking for.  There is the Clocktower Mall and some other shops, Dockyard Pharmacy.  I didn't spend that much.  I shopped at two stores.

If you want to go to Horseshoe Bay Beach (which I highly recommend), you can get a shuttle to and from the beach for $7 pp each way.

Take a mask.  We had to wear when we walked through the small terminal at the dock.  RC will provide a mask in the stateroom if you forget one, but make sure you take it with you when you leave the ship.

Edited by moposh
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This suggestion is only a matter of etiquette. If you rent a moped stick to main roads and don't go cruising through private neighborhoods to "see the sights" especially if you are there on a weekend. The people of Bermuda (of which I am not one) deserve peace and quiet on the weekends.

• Like 1