Star Legend

SheilaS1958

Hi everyone,

We are booked for the December 3rd crossing on the Star Legend. Lisbon to Miami. We have the All in package which was strongly recommended by the Agent. I’m starting to notice, after reading through the message board,  that even though WI-FI is included, it really doesn’t work very well. Not that I need to be connected to a device but I guess I thought we could stay in touch with family, read the news, play Sudoku etc. 14 days seems a little long to be off the grid. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Sheila

• Like 1

We have completed 3 crossings, 2 Atlantic and 1 Pacific.  Not having WI-FI was fine, Sudoku, you get a sheet everyday including NYT crossword, a mini newspaper in the middle of the ocean there is not much connection anyway. The Ship's connection  anyway is always poor. Bring a few good books,  they are more activities on crossing than on cruises, look out at the ocean, make friends, write a diary. We always feel there is so much to do without doing much! Appreciate life without being tied to the internet at all times. Have a great cruise, we love crossings, Happy Sailing and Enjoy.

• Like 2

My husband and I (Kym and Paul) are also on that crossing in December. This will be our second as we went Lisbon to Barbados on the Legend last November. We were on the all-inclusive (always do as it just makes things easier) and though the wifi was slow at times, he sent dispatches with several pics attached every two or three days to family and friends. I was able to stay in touch via text with my sisters and friends. Keep in mind that it is a satellite connection and comes and goes, but we aren’t tied to our devices so didn’t really mind when it was weak. We picked up a book and a yummy tropical drink and relaxed some more near the pool!
You will love the trip. Maybe we will meet up on board.

13 hours ago, Strenz said:

We have completed 3 crossings, 2 Atlantic and 1 Pacific.  Not having WI-FI was fine, Sudoku, you get a sheet everyday including NYT crossword, a mini newspaper in the middle of the ocean there is not much connection anyway. The Ship's connection  anyway is always poor. Bring a few good books,  they are more activities on crossing than on cruises, look out at the ocean, make friends, write a diary. We always feel there is so much to do without doing much! Appreciate life without being tied to the internet at all times. Have a great cruise, we love crossings, Happy Sailing and Enjoy.

At least in November the daily sheet with the crossword was gone. Reception just shrugged and said we don't have them any longer.

We never buy an Internet package, but usually get some kind of "free minutes" included in our bookings.  That was always plenty to keep in touch by email with family, post some pictures etc. The speed was fine even in the middle of the ocean.  We had a satellite connection at our lake house so we were used to the speed/access.

That said, we have never had 14 consecutive sea days.  Our crossings are on larger ships which must sail faster?  Never thought about that.  After our B2B on the Legend next month, we are taking MSC for the TA back to Miami (5 days at sea from Portugal to Barbados).  

We also downloaded several books on our tablets as well as offline versions of my favorite word games (Wordle and Scrabble). Relax and enjoy the trip. 

• Like 1