Any tips for disembarkation day - linger or ditch the ship?

npsandiego

If you have a long time until your flight, check to see if the hotels near LAX offer a day room. Back in 2005, I have a long layover (about 9 hours) so I got a day room at the local hotel. I was able to take a shower, get room service and relax until it was time to go to the airport for my flight.

• Like 1

All great suggestions!  Unfortunately for us, we live in San Diego about a 2 hour drive from Los Angeles/Long Beach. We contemplated driving to and parking at the Port of LA then flying to MIA (start of cruise) so we can just get in the car and drive home. But the flight times from LAX to MIA were inconvenient (too early or near rush hour) so we opted to fly home instead.  Ugh. I'll look into the rental car option. We have been to Los Angeles so many times that the excursions available are not appealing.  FYI, anyone thinking about the Rodeo Drive tour should know that many of the little shops there are closed on Sundays.  I like the idea of having our luggage held at the airport while we go to the lounge...

We usually enjoy early breakfast in the main dining room on disembarkation day, but I am wondering if it will be open.  It looks as if the main dining room no longer opens on EMBARKATION day which is a disappointment.  We may be headed to the Garden Cafe on the day we leave the ship.

58 minutes ago, Levanah said:

We usually enjoy early breakfast in the main dining room on disembarkation day, but I am wondering if it will be open.  It looks as if the main dining room no longer opens on EMBARKATION day which is a disappointment.  We may be headed to the Garden Cafe on the day we leave the ship.

Been on 4 different NCL ships in the past 10 months and all had an MDR open on embarkation day.

On 8/27/2022 at 4:42 PM, npsandiego said:

We port at Port of Los Angeles and our flight leaves at 4:30pm from LAX, about 30 minutes away.  We've never left for the airport on disembarkation day (always stayed a day or so after a cruise or left our car at the port).  Looking into the NCL airport transfer or taking a rideshare from the port to the airport.  Since we have so much time, should we try to get off the ship as late as possible?  Would we have access to breakfast that morning and where?  Can we linger?  Or do you suggest we get off as early as possible?  If we opt for the NCL airport transfer, is this a pleasant experience?  

Luckily, we have airport lounge access but would prefer to not be stressed out getting to the airport, getting there too early, or waiting in long bus lines...  as long as we get to the airport by 1:00pm.  Any strategic suggestions?

depending on what lounge access you have, worth a check. If it's priority pass, very few options at LAX. also keep in mind only TBIT, 5, 6, 7, and 8 are connected airside. 1, 2, 3 are not. 

On 8/29/2022 at 6:15 AM, PATRLR said:

I've never seen this in a US domestic airport where the ticket counters were open.  This would be very surprising to me at LAX if it were true.  

Assuming you can check you luggage on arrival, I'd drag my feet in the morning, enjoy a leisurely breakfast, get off the ship when they kick you off sometime after 9, Uber/Lyft to LAX and spend the rest of your day in the lounge.

We had it happen to us this past June at Miami airport. Had to sit around outside for 3 hours before bags could be checked

On 9/2/2022 at 8:54 AM, Levanah said:

Incorrect and incorrect. 

Embarkation Day

03DFAFFF-8E08-412A-8DCF-0B4988573AA6.thumb.jpeg.585a41b36afc72602ac7981b683e1dfa.jpegAB359397-9C2F-4353-8E6F-FD3216EDBEE9.thumb.jpeg.e3b1d1e0554dd3155a8a937633e1a31b.jpeg

Disembarkation Day

32156DAA-2142-4A32-8B20-CAC92AA9CAAA.thumb.jpeg.3fde6d8e18f4074c907c3fe5a047ce96.jpeg

I'm always very disappointed that they do everything possible to get you up and out of there before 9, though I appreciate their plight. My ideal, semi-reasonable disembarkation would involve being in my room til 9, then going to breakfast in the MDR or buffet, and leaving the ship around 10. Even by 8:30 am in the buffet they are making you feel like it's past time to go.

I'm in awe of some of you that manage to ignore all the not-so-subtle nudges to get off the ship. Seriously, I wish I could ignore it all and be zen til at least 9:30 that morning, but I feel like they are going to get out a broom and sweep me away if I don't scoot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, weltek said:

I'm always very disappointed that they do everything possible to get you up and out of there before 9, though I appreciate their plight. My ideal, semi-reasonable disembarkation would involve being in my room til 9, then going to breakfast in the MDR or buffet, and leaving the ship around 10. Even by 8:30 am in the buffet they are making you feel like it's past time to go.

I'm in awe of some of you that manage to ignore all the not-so-subtle nudges to get off the ship. Seriously, I wish I could ignore it all and be zen til at least 9:30 that morning, but I feel like they are going to get out a broom and sweep me away if I don't scoot.

They need to get you off as soon as they can so they can get ready for the next group of passengers. Some of those room stewards now are doing upwards of 16 cabins. It's time to go; the cruise is over! Do the staff a favor and leave so they can do their jobs.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, KateQ22003 said:

They need to get you off as soon as they can so they can get ready for the next group of passengers. Some of those room stewards now are doing upwards of 16 cabins. It's time to go; the cruise is over! Do the staff a favor and leave so they can do their jobs.

I agree! Or change boarding to 2pm and sailing away after 8 lol, but then people would complain they can’t board earlier lol

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KateQ22003 said:

Do the staff a favor and leave so they can do their jobs.

Actually, based upon both personal experience and reports here, there is typically a mad stampede to get off the ship as early as possible.  Those few of us who are still in relaxed vacation mode likely have very little negative impact on the crew.  They just clean the cabins of those 14 stampeders first, and then wrap up with mine and the other relaxed party.😎  We never made or leave a mess, so they'll take the tip and be out of there in ten or fifteen minutes.

7 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Actually, based upon both personal experience and reports here, there is typically a mad stampede to get off the ship as early as possible.  Those few of us who are still in relaxed vacation mode likely have very little negative impact on the crew.  They just clean the cabins of those 14 stampeders first, and then wrap up with mine and the other relaxed party.😎  We never made or leave a mess, so they'll take the tip and be out of there in ten or fifteen minutes.

But unfortunately they can begin doing anything Untill all passengers have disembark so customs can then clear the ship to begin embarkation process which includes luggage being brought on. May not impact crew but delays boarding for the next cruise 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

But unfortunately they can begin doing anything Untill all passengers have disembark so customs can then clear the ship to begin embarkation process which includes luggage being brought on. May not impact crew but delays boarding for the next cruise 

Yeah.  I get all of that and wasn't suggesting that I shouldn't have to get off the ship.  The post I responded to suggested that I needed to get out of my room as soon as possible so that the "crew could do their job." (i.e. clean the room)

17 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Actually they strip all the beds first and collect towels so they can get the laundry going to re-equip the cabin. We told our steward he could come in and strip our beds since I knew he was waiting for our sheets, but he didn't seem comfortable with that.

5 hours ago, KateQ22003 said:

Actually they strip all the beds first and collect towels so they can get the laundry going to re-equip the cabin. We told our steward he could come in and strip our beds since I knew he was waiting for our sheets, but he didn't seem comfortable with that.

I leave when they tell me to.  Last cruise it was 9:00 to vacate the room and that's when we went to the obs lounge.  I'm not going to cut my vacation short because folks on an internet forum tell me that it makes me a better person and it is the "right" thing to do.  But that's just me.

• Haha 1

On 9/8/2022 at 11:43 PM, Thunderbird19 said:

NPSanDiego, 

Is taking Amtrak train from LA to San Diego an option? Seems like the time to take train vs. flying (getting to airport, security, etc) could be about the same.  I’ve never done the train between those two cities and thought it would be fun.

I've taken the train from San Diego to LA before and it is fun and fairly easy, but Delta made our plans change. Just got notification that our 4:30pm LAX to SAN flight was cancelled and we got rescheduled for 11:30am.  From what I've been researching, it is do-able but 11:30am flight departure is cutting a bit close to disembarkation.  After considering all the options, I cancelled the SAN-MIA/LAX-SAN flight plan and changed to one-way LAX-MIA.  We will either drive to the port of Los Angeles and park there for the duration of the cruise (uber to LAX) or get a hotel that has free cruise parking (a few do) the night before (uber to LAX). Then we can just disembark and drive home at our leisure.