Let's say I consider doing MSC Upgrade but I already have a drink package booked...

Stockjock

If I bid on Yacht Club, but had already purchased a drink package and/or a dining package, would I be better off cancelling those packages before placing any bids?

I presume the bid amount would not be any different if I had or had not purchased those packages, correct?

Conversely, if my YC bid was accepted, would it still be possible to cancel the drink and/or dining package?  Obviously, if a YC bid was successful, those packages would likely be unneeded and redundant.

Edited by Stockjock

It "depends" - if you booked a promo that included the drink package and wifi you cannot do anything if your YC bid is accepted.

If you ADDED a drink package in full to your sailing you *might* be able to cancel it if your bid gets accepted.  

You should be able to cancel the Specialty Dining package at any time up to 72 hours before sailing.

Hmmm, the advice given here is in contrast to everything I have read everywhere else, but something I'm very interested in finding a definite answer to.

It was my belief that if you bid for an upgrade to yacht club it was simply your cabin location that changed you would not be entitled to free drinks or free WiFi if they had not been included in your previous package. Your experience would also not be upgraded, so if you had been Bella before you would still be Bella. But you would have access to the yacht club dining room and other yacht club only areas.

9 hours ago, 77red96 said:

Hmmm, the advice given here is in contrast to everything I have read everywhere else, but something I'm very interested in finding a definite answer to.

It was my belief that if you bid for an upgrade to yacht club it was simply your cabin location that changed you would not be entitled to free drinks or free WiFi if they had not been included in your previous package. Your experience would also not be upgraded, so if you had been Bella before you would still be Bella. But you would have access to the yacht club dining room and other yacht club only areas.

You have failed to understand 'everything read everywhere else'. If you bid for an upgrade, and are successful, you then are entitled to the full new experience....on the basis there has been an additional financial transaction.

Normally, with an upgrade granted without bidding, it is the cabin only that changes and the experience remains as original booking. That is with the exception of YC, because you are then located in the YC enclave where virtually everything is included. On our Caribbean cruise last winter, there were a handful of couples who were granted such at boarding, and spent their time grinning from ear to ear! 

One such couple, who live about 15 miles from us in Scotland said they pinched themselves each morning, as they couldn't quite believe their luck. Their booking had been a Fantastica balcony, so theirs was a significant free upgrade big time. The others were upgraded from Aurea.

Edited by hamrag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1