Struggling with selecting Southern Caribbean excursions!

aururab

11 minutes ago, mets123 said:

Royal shopping talks are  not what they used to me. They very rarely talk about the ports bring visited. The last two we attended in May and June ONLY spoke about Effy jewelry for the entire hour. It was a complete waste of time.

That sucks...the ones that I had been to 2016-2019 it was a woman that always wore a striped dress and she was good.  After the talks I would go talk to her about the different ports we were stopping in to see if she had any recommendations for "local to the Island" stuff.  Sometimes she would have recommendations and others she would be honest and say I don't know.  I would take stuff back to her so that if people would ask the same question she would know.  One port I found a shop with homemade jelly I brought her back some with where I got it, In St Martinique I told here where a local fabric store was if someone asked.

So it is sad that all they talk about now is Effy's....I find Effy's expensive myself.

18 minutes ago, aururab said:

We also don’t have any sea days! 

Which islands would you skip excursions to shop and go to a local beach?

Like I said before the two islands I would use for beach days/shopping (other then the pier) would be St. Thomas and St Maarten.   These are the two islands I was not impressed with...other then the Bahamas.

We had a private boat for the day the last time we were in St. Thomas, and it was EPIC. Honestly, a day on a boat on any of these islands is a day to remember! 🙂 ha 

I guess, what I meant was, what islands were people MOST impressed with regarding shopping/public beaches such that they didn't need to schedule an excursion. 

Given the number of ships in port the day we are in St. Maarten, I think we really should schedule something that gets us out of the main tourist area. 

Edited by aururab

23 hours ago, aururab said:

Okay... I took the advice to look up what cruise ships are in port on the same days and wondering if that changes some of my plans!

That is a lot of cruise ships in St. Maarten that day! 

MON, FEB 20    St. Thomas, USV 

* Voyager of the Seas - Crown Bay Dock

* Enchanted Princess - West Indian Co. Dock 

TUE, FEB 21    St. Croix, USVI    

* Voyager of the seas

WED, FEB 22    Philipsburg, St. Maarten

Arvia 6.264 passengers

Norwegian Pearl - 2.873 passengers 

Celebrity Millennium - 2.590 passengers

Voyager Of The Seas - 3.938 passengers

MSC Seaside - 5.336 passengers

THU, FEB 23    St. Lucia    
* Voyager of the Seas

* Vision of the Seas

FRI, FEB 24    Barbados

* Brittannia - 4,406 passenger

* Voyager of the Seas

SAT, FEB 25    St. Kitts, Kitts and Nevis    
* Voyager of the Seas

* Norwegian Epic - 5,074 passengers

830A72EA-9BAA-4B4E-8EC3-6267DF235D85.png

Edited by wrldtrvllr

On 8/28/2022 at 12:29 AM, aururab said:

We are 6 adults, 4 kids between 6 and 10 sail on Feb 19 Voyager of the seas southern Caribbean cruise. 

There is so much to do on each island, and then fun to be had on the ship that we struggling to find a balance. Can some who has been on this route help me out?

SUN, FEB 19    San Juan, Puerto Rico        

* private snorkel full day? (Is there a better island for this?

* snorkel and SCUBA Buck island half day

* free day, window shop and beach 
THU, FEB 23    St. Lucia    
* zip lines
FRI, FEB 24    Barbados

* no idea…. But would like to experience a bit of the island…
* no idea….
SUN, FEB 26    San Juan, Puerto Rico   

thanks so much!

When you're in San Juan you have to eat at Kabanas. Best tacos anywhere. I really loved the pork tacos but we had one child get nachos and another a hamburger and everyone said it was the best they had ever eaten. I haven't been in a few years but last time we went it was across the street from the Renaissance La Concha. Don't miss this place. We ate there 2-4 times every time we went there. The girls would talk about flying down just to eat there.

On 8/28/2022 at 12:29 AM, aururab said:

We are 6 adults, 4 kids between 6 and 10 sail on Feb 19 Voyager of the seas southern Caribbean cruise. 

There is so much to do on each island, and then fun to be had on the ship that we struggling to find a balance. Can some who has been on this route help me out?

THU, FEB 23    St. Lucia    
* zip lines
FRI, FEB 24    Barbados

* no idea….

thanks so much!

When you're in San Juan you have to eat at Kabanas. Best tacos anywhere. I really loved the pork tacos but we had one child get nachos and another a hamburger and everyone said it was the best they had ever eaten. I haven't been in a few years but last time we went it was across the street from the Renaissance La Concha. Don't miss this place. We ate there 2-4 times every time we went there. The girls would talk about flying down just to eat there.

• Like 1

Barbados - Since you mentioned diving, Roger's Scuba shack on Carlisle Bay was great.  I have dove with Roger several times, and he did 2 dives with two of my daughters when they were getting certified.  They have great wrecks right in the bay.  I see you mentioned the Boatyard, which is very close to Roger's.

St. Maarten - another vote here for Bernard's tours - amazing - done it twice - best way to experience the island.

Similar for St. Lucia - done Cosol tours twice - absolutely amazing way to experience the entire island.

St. Thomas - my daughters did 2 other training dives there with Coki Divers at Coki Beach.  Great because they are shore dives and great to do for new divers.  The rest of the group can enjoy the beach there.

13 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

Thanks for that! 

I'm a bit confused by the requirements for Barbados and St. Lucia. Royal still says that the tours have to be booked through them on those two islands, but lots of reports on here of people booking direct...

8 hours ago, aururab said:

Thanks for that! 

I'm a bit confused by the requirements for Barbados and St. Lucia. Royal still says that the tours have to be booked through them on those two islands, but lots of reports on here of people booking direct...

from the RCCL website, it appears you can book private excursions in both of those ports currently

Requirements for Guests Departing on Round-Trip Cruises from all U.S. home ports, including San Juan, Puerto Rico

Currently there are no restrictions or required tours for any guest that is going ashore at public ports of call, or at our private destinations, regardless of vaccination status.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-are-the-requirements-for-guests-to-go-ashore-in-ports-of-call

5 hours ago, firefighter4u said:

We are doing the same sailing as you!  AND have been having the same discussion.  Not a great selection of excursions to choose from via RCL.  Glad I came upon this post!  

This thread was definitely the most helpful! The roll call both here and on the site not to be named hasn't been much help! ha 

That said, I'm still at a loss of what island would be best to just wander around and window shop, go to a local beach etc! I can't afford excursions every day! ha 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, aururab said:

This thread was definitely the most helpful! The roll call both here and on the site not to be named hasn't been much help! ha 

That said, I'm still at a loss of what island would be best to just wander around and window shop, go to a local beach etc! I can't afford excursions every day! ha 

I would say St Thomas for window shopping and beach.  I myself did not find the excursions all that on that island.

On 8/28/2022 at 1:29 AM, aururab said:

THU, FEB 23    St. Lucia    
* zip lines
FRI, FEB 24    Barbados

* no idea….

thanks so much!

If your private tour takes you to St. John, keep it.  Great snorkeling.  If not, go to Sapphire Beach via cab

agree with above poster

Go to mullet bay beach.  Find out plane schedule that am before disembarking so you can figure out when to walk over to Maho.  local buses or taxis are an option.  no need for a guide

THU, FEB 23    St. Lucia    

* zip lines

If your kids like snorkeling, get an excursion to the Pitons.  You can get one at the dock.  Or go to Pigeon island.  If you want to explore, book a land and sea tour.  But if by land its a long ride with kids fyi.  We did a solely boat tour with my kids and they loved it.

FRI, FEB 24    Barbados

Try to get something with the animal cave and the wildlife reserve with a stop at the beach

* no idea….

I would rent a car here.  St. Kitt is really easy to drive around.  Many many things to see. Javins tours were great for us but snorkeling part may be tricky for little ones.  But if you want a lazy day, try getting a day pass room at the Marriott.  

edit:  I know 6 is expensive.  Try purchasing your own snorkeling gear.  Use public transportation if available like St. Martin.  Renting cars are always the best option.  Only island I would not drive in is St. Lucia.  I have 5 adult kids now but when younger, anything with animals or fast boats was the best.

Edited by jean87510

13 hours ago, aururab said:

We've been saying the same thing.  This is the most port intensive cruise that we have ever been on - thats one of the reasons why we chose it!  Now its the challenge of having the most fun but not breaking the bank! lol I guess its "first world" problems.  This is also our first RCL cruise and first time leaving out of Puerto Rico.  Can't wait for the adventure!

1 hour ago, firefighter4u said:

Now its the challenge of having the most fun but not breaking the bank!

I use to say the same thing.  However, I figured out how to have fun without breaking the bank.  I save change...you just have to get in the mind set that change is NOT money until you turn it into paper money.  On January 1st I start a new.  I have developed money charts for change for the year.  Each day I put x amount away in a jar (on take the weeks total and get change on Friday and put in the jar).  If I go into the store and the bill is say 10.17....I give them 11.00 and the other .83  in the change jar.  

My first cruise in 2016 everything from the cruise it's self to spending money to money to cover the excursions was paid for using change.  The bank liked to of killed me when I carted 1200.00 (just the cruise part) in the bank for them to count but it was a good laugh. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, aururab said:

best island to window shop then go to beach is St. Martin.   You can do the planes at Maho 1st then make your way back to town for shopping then hang on the beach. I'd rent a car here, St. Kitt, Barbados, St. Thomas and St. Croix.  Id save tours for St. Lucia. 

also, if leaving from San Juan, stock up on breakfast or granola bars for excursions.  Lunch can be really expensive on the islands.  Dont bring actual food off of ship unwrapped!  Go somewhere local grocery store for drinks.  We have a nice cooler bag we use that we have put ice in.  We also have large water pouches that we have worn for hiking that we fill and take with us if on our own.  I've done those san juan sailings and started avoiding excursions and started going off on our own because it adds up.  1 port can cost a family of six easily $700 plus tip.  Kids like animals, fast things, not sitting for hours in a car on a tour...etc... Mine are in their 20s and 30s and still talk about a 7 port sailing in 2014 where they went to the donkey sanctuary in Bonaire.  And the Boatyard in Barbados!!

Edited by jean87510

On 9/2/2022 at 2:31 AM, kimberlym322 said:

St Martinique I told here where a local fabric store was if someone asked.

Where is this store in St. Martinique?

Where did you get the jam/jelly/spices.  These are the things that I am looking for.

Will be in St. Lucia on Christmas day and I don't know if the batiqt fabric place will be open 

12 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Lunch can be really expensive on the islands. 

I would have to disagree with you to a point.  On all the islands the one that I found most expensive to eat was St. Martin....That cost for 2 of us 80.00, it was small portions and to me food was subpar.  For me the other islands most I paid was 15.00 a person, the food on those islands were great, good portion size.  I really think the cost of food all depends on where you go.  We like to eat off the "beaten path" so to speak, where the locals would go to eat.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jubejubes said:

Where is this store in St. Martinique?

Where did you get the jam/jelly/spices.  These are the things that I am looking for.

Will be in St. Lucia on Christmas day and I don't know if the batiqt fabric place will be open 

The best fabric store I found was in Martinique.  But all islands have a fabric store somewhere, just ask a local if they know where one is.  Our drivers when we did privet tours knew where to find them.  Romney Mannion in St Kitts has hand stamped fabric.

Jam/jelly and Tea I got in Antiqua.  But again with them you can go to any grocery store and see what they have to get them....I even brought extract back to bake with that is not offered in the USA.  

Spices again on the privet tour I get the driver to stop at a local grocery store.  I could live in the grocery stores on the islands, they have so much different things from chips and cookies to cake mixes and so on.  When I went to a store on St Kitts, my mom was yelling at me because I was buying too much stuff...but then yelled back on the ship because I didn't buy enough of this chips or that candy or cookies (i was like hello you were yelling that I was buying too much!), I spent so much time in there the driver was like your cutting it close to the time you want to be back to the ship.  If you go to the grocery store don't be shocked if some of the spices are in plastic bags.  I always get small things of spice for my nephew because I don't know what he will like, then after a week he yells at me that I didn't get him enough.  You can get them sometimes at the stores at the pier.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kimberlym322 said:

I would have to disagree with you to a point.  On all the islands the one that I found most expensive to eat was St. Martin....That cost for 2 of us 80.00, it was small portions and to me food was subpar.  For me the other islands most I paid was 15.00 a person, the food on those islands were great, good portion size.  I really think the cost of food all depends on where you go.  We like to eat off the "beaten path" so to speak, where the locals would go to eat.

i should clarify that for a family of 6 lunch can be expensive which is why I suggested bringing supplements.  And factor in drinks as well.  We just spent $550 in Bermuda at a beach bar for the day with 6 adults.  The least expensive meal was $18.  Granted these are kids but sodas and waters add up.  

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

i should clarify that for a family of 6 lunch can be expensive which is why I suggested bringing supplements.  And factor in drinks as well.  We just spent $550 in Bermuda at a beach bar for the day with 6 adults.  The least expensive meal was $18.  Granted these are kids but sodas and waters add up.  

I guess living in a tourist town to me 18.00 is cheap for a meal a person.  550.00 for 6 to me is on the cheap side because of where I live...for 3 of us to eat a few weeks ago it was 400.00!  

But I understand where you are coming from.

On 9/12/2022 at 10:22 PM, kimberlym322 said:

I would say St Thomas for window shopping and beach.  I myself did not find the excursions all that on that island.

That is the one island we had been to before! 🙂 We were planning on renting a private boat & Captain for the day, same as we did last time. 

On 9/13/2022 at 2:29 AM, jean87510 said:

If your private tour takes you to St. John, keep it.  Great snorkeling.  If not, go to Sapphire Beach via cab

agree with above poster

Go to mullet bay beach.  Find out plane schedule that am before disembarking so you can figure out when to walk over to Maho.  local buses or taxis are an option.  no need for a guide

THU, FEB 23    St. Lucia    

* zip lines

If your kids like snorkeling, get an excursion to the Pitons.  You can get one at the dock.  Or go to Pigeon island.  If you want to explore, book a land and sea tour.  But if by land its a long ride with kids fyi.  We did a solely boat tour with my kids and they loved it.

FRI, FEB 24    Barbados

Try to get something with the animal cave and the wildlife reserve with a stop at the beach

* no idea….

I would rent a car here.  St. Kitt is really easy to drive around.  Many many things to see. Javins tours were great for us but snorkeling part may be tricky for little ones.  But if you want a lazy day, try getting a day pass room at the Marriott.  

edit:  I know 6 is expensive.  Try purchasing your own snorkeling gear.  Use public transportation if available like St. Martin.  Renting cars are always the best option.  Only island I would not drive in is St. Lucia.  I have 5 adult kids now but when younger, anything with animals or fast boats was the best.

Thanks! Love that description! We are traveling with our own snorkel gear, and the kids are all ridiculously strong swimmers and can handle anything an average adult could deal with. 

I was just questioning whether St. Maarten was the best island to not have an excursion planned when there are 4 ships in port!

On 9/13/2022 at 4:52 AM, kimberlym322 said:

I use to say the same thing.  However, I figured out how to have fun without breaking the bank.  I save change...you just have to get in the mind set that change is NOT money until you turn it into paper money.  

Love this! My own version - I avoid using cash at all costs and put everything on a points credit that I use for travel! 🙂 

• Like 2