My first hand knowledge of check in at Southampton

Level six

Just to answer a few questions about check in today 

1: only asked for verbal verification of negative covid test if fully vaccinated. No proof needed 

2: fully vaccinated is 2 original covid vaccines and ONE booster even if it is over 270 days. I had my last booster a year ago and it was fine. 

3: mask required at some places while checking in and on island princess They were handing them out and told you to put it on 

4:  At mayflower terminal there is an elite area and priority boarding 

checkin was fast and easy. Onboard at 11am. 

I probably can’t answer any questions as I don’t have the internet on board only using my cell service to post. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

If anyone else has experience, what’ are the security lines like?  I only use a cane if I’ll be standing for a lengthy period or have lots of walking to do.  That was definitely the situation in Vancouver so I was told to request wheelchair assistance which I did.  A REAL lifesaver!

36 minutes ago, Senga said:

If anyone else has experience, what’ are the security lines like?  I only use a cane if I’ll be standing for a lengthy period or have lots of walking to do.  That was definitely the situation in Vancouver so I was told to request wheelchair assistance which I did.  A REAL lifesaver!

All I can say is that we just walked through security in about 3 minutes in total a few months ago. However that can change every time.

Obviously then you have a long walk to get on board.  

So, request wheelchair assistance - you have nothing to lose.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Senga said:

I am guessing that within a specific day - it can be walk on the ship to taking an hour to get through. It all depends on when you show up and everyone else shows up.

14 minutes ago, Coral said:

I am guessing that within a specific day - it can be walk on the ship to taking an hour to get through. It all depends on when you show up and everyone else shows up.

Exactly.  What happens one day, is no guarantee that the same will apply the following day. 

To be  fair, Southampton is pretty well organised,  and other social media sites have posts that state that the entire boarding pricess took less than 20 minutes.

One major pinch point  is the valet car parking,  but as the OP is from the US, I'm guessing this won't be an issue !

• Like 2

16 hours ago, wowzz said:

One major pinch point  is the valet car parking,  but as the OP is from the US, I'm guessing this won't be an issue !

Thanks.  As a CANADIAN we won’t have to worry about the parking!  😏.

I have wheelchair assistance at Heathrow arranged through the airline so, I assume, wheelchair assistance at Southampton should be requested through the cruise line?

On 8/28/2022 at 10:16 AM, Level six said:

Just to answer a few questions about check in today 

1: only asked for verbal verification of negative covid test if fully vaccinated. No proof needed 

2: fully vaccinated is 2 original covid vaccines and ONE booster even if it is over 270 days. I had my last booster a year ago and it was fine. 

3: mask required at some places while checking in and on island princess They were handing them out and told you to put it on 

4:  At mayflower terminal there is an elite area and priority boarding 

checkin was fast and easy. Onboard at 11am. 

I probably can’t answer any questions as I don’t have the internet on board only using my cell service to post. 

What  cruise are you on?  Is  it a  trans Atlantic?  Or  just around Great Britain and Northern Europe?

Thank you

17 minutes ago, Senga said:

I have wheelchair assistance at Heathrow arranged through the airline so, I assume, wheelchair assistance at Southampton should be requested through the cruise line?

Sorry ! No offence intended !

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

Not until after Sept. 6.  Prior to that, only self-attestation of a negative test.

My cruise is in Nov, a TA for 16 days and they will still require a supervised test

34 minutes ago, DougH said:

My cruise is in Nov, a TA for 16 days and they will still require a supervised test

Roger that.  I leave on Sept. 2 on a TA from Southampton so I am very familiar to the rules related to departure in the short term.

4 hours ago, DougH said:

No one knows what tests will be needed in November, so I fail to see how you know now that a test will be required.

I’m on a transatlantic sailing after September 6 and scheduled my Covid test at Regenerative Health in West Quay mall. The link for scheduling with them is: https://www.theregenerativeclinic.co.uk/southampton-covid-19-pcr-testing-same-day-and-next-day-covid-19-pcr-service/

I believe you can cancel the test less an admin fee should the testing requirements change 

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

No one knows what tests will be needed in November, so I fail to see how you know now that a test will be required.

I know things may change but current rules require it. I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row beforehand

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DougH said:

I know things may change but current rules require it. I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row beforehand

Understood, but I certainly wouldn't be spending any money buying a test at this stage.

15 hours ago, Senga said:

Check in was very easy. But we were very early. Also I think ship is maybe 1// full not sure. I would get a wheelchair just in case 

• Thanks 1