Help with taxis on San Juan

workingjoe2001

I will be visiting San Juan with my family. We will have 11 people including 3 4-year olds, a 7-year-old, and a 1-year old. We will be on NCL. We want to ride the cable car and then visit the chocolate factory. I am from an area of the US where taxis are rare, so I don't know the ins and outs of using them. Would we just get a taxi at the port to take us to the cable cars and then get another taxi to the chocolate factory? Can I be certain that there will be taxis waiting at the cable car location? After the chocolate factory...find another taxi to take us back to the port? How do we know how much $ is reasonable for each leg? Any suggestions/advice would help.

Also, do you have any other suggestions as to what we could do with soooo many kids? 🙂 We don't want to go to the beach, but we are up for other ideas.

Thanks!!

If you're docking at the old town port on a day port just walk across the street and you'll be in the center of Old Town. San Juan is a very walkable port stop. I doubt very much you're going to find a taxi van that will hold eleven people.

As far as the chocolate factory are you talking about the Chocobar ? If so it's a restaurant again an easy walk from the port dock.

Cable car in Old San Juan...Sorry we've been (sailed out of) San Juan many times and never done or heard of this.

Their used to be a trolley that would take you to the forts but that disappeared since covid.

Don't stress about a day stop in San Juan...it's an easy port. If you need an excursion check out your cruiseline options or private vendor's.

On 8/28/2022 at 2:27 PM, workingjoe2001 said:

I am from an area of the US where taxis are rare, so I don't know the ins and outs of using them. Would we just get a taxi at the port to take us to the cable cars and then get another taxi to the chocolate factory? Can I be certain that there will be taxis waiting at the cable car location? After the chocolate factory...find another taxi to take us back to the port? How do we know how much $ is reasonable for each leg? Any suggestions/advice would help

Uber works quite well in San Juan. You should download and set up the app on your phone-- this way you can have cars meet you wherever you are and not have to worry about hailing a taxi. The fare will be displayed prior to you confirming the ride so there wont be any surprises. You aren't going to find one vehicle that will take 11 people-- you'll have to split the group up across a few. 

• 3 weeks later...