MDR Dinner Takeaway/To Go Option?

rudedoggy87

If any of you have cruised recently, can you tell me if it is possible to order off to main dining room menu for takeaway/to go?  TL;DR I was scheduled to do a cruise coming up with my parents who had to cancel, but I'm still going - now solo - and I don't know how much I'll want to eat in the MDR by myself!  Not sure how often I'll want the room service menu. I know I can order sushi to go from Sushi On Five - but seven nights of that will get old (and expensive)!  Thanks for your insights!

Yes, as above, you can usually order from the MDR to be delivered to your stateroom, I've done this a few times. I believe unless you are in a suite (where your butler may bring you each course by course) all of the meal comes at once. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rudedoggy87 said:

If any of you have cruised recently, can you tell me if it is possible to order off to main dining room menu for takeaway/to go?  TL;DR I was scheduled to do a cruise coming up with my parents who had to cancel, but I'm still going - now solo - and I don't know how much I'll want to eat in the MDR by myself!  Not sure how often I'll want the room service menu. I know I can order sushi to go from Sushi On Five - but seven nights of that will get old (and expensive)!  Thanks for your insights!

Evening dinner in the buffet can be really pleasant. Lots of seats with a sea view, none of the excessive business of lunchtime service, grill to order steak, chicken and salmon. We love the Indian selection.

Also, have you thought of joining the roll call for your cruise? A great way for solo travellers to contact others before their cruise. People on the roll call arrange events on board like meeting up for sail aways, occasional get together fun activities and often odd meals together. They also arrange excursions usually in smaller groups than the cruise line. Worth considering.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, rudedoggy87 said:

now solo - and I don't know how much I'll want to eat in the MDR by myself!  

Hi, I often sail solo, simply because my family and friends never seem to make up their minds when they want to sail and where. But you just need to get your mind around the fact that although you may be "alone" at the table, you are not alone in the room.  Often people at the tables around me will chat. And often I meet others on the ship who want to join me for dinner or lunch (couples, other solos, etc.). One thing I never allow when I am sitting is for a table in the back or hidden away. I am not ashamed of sitting alone, enjoying the room, and enjoying the meal.  But that is my mind set. Honestly, you cannot believe how many people will invite you to sit wit them!!!

• Like 4

I'm a shy solo passenger, so to avoid awkwardness I simply dine at off-peak times, usually going at 8, and I ask for a socially-distanced table. I also find that solo passengers get served very quickly usually, so I'm in and out quickly. I also sometimes have a light meal in the MDR and hit the buffet early and graze a bit for unique things, especially the manager's special station on Solstice last month, which had ramen, crepes, and 6 flavors of creme brulee, and they often have MDR soups that I can have there. You can do the reverse if you want to dine early, and on past HAL cruises I would order room-service MDR items for a late-night snack, like a cheese plate, creme brulee, or salad. By going to the MDR on Solstice I also got to meet a nice Russian wine steward and Indonesian drinks server, and they, along with the other servers, made me feel welcome and not out of place. 

• Like 3

On 8/28/2022 at 6:25 PM, rudedoggy87 said:

Previous suggestions are good.  I often travel solo and ask for a table of six.  The meal flows easily from a timing standpoint.  I had one Royal cruise when I chose to eat at a two-top.  Just brought a book along and enjoyed the meal  

My sister got covid and I went solo to Alaska this month. Took a book to the MDR, chat with others occasionally.  I really liked the buffet at dinner also. Quiet and nice views. Saw a few whales. I didn't have room service once but that's just me.  Good luck.

• Like 1

I spent 34 nights on Silhouette and Millennium solo last winter. I’m generally comfortable alone - necessitated and developed over time by a lot of business travel. I ordered room service plenty for breakfast and lunch and maybe once or twice for dinner. I never felt awkward alone in the MDR or specialty. I’m not one for buffets generally. 

Many times I went with friends I had met or struck up conversations with adjacent tables. Many of the tables for two are amazingly close together where it would almost be awkward to NOT talk. There’s also a solo meeting you can go to to meet more folks. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, katrina915 said:

My sister got covid and I went solo to Alaska this month. Took a book to the MDR, chat with others occasionally.  I really liked the buffet at dinner also. Quiet and nice views. Saw a few whales. I didn't have room service once but that's just me.  Good luck.

Sorry about your sister - hope she had a speedy recovery! I'm off to Alaska next week - whale watching while having dinner sounds great!