eclipse still in port 10;25pm on 28th ???????

c-legs

People are posting on other social media.  I have friends onboard but TBH, until there's news, they're PROBABLY trying to make the best of it.  Most of them would have a drink package.  LOL but really, they have wifi (and cell service) but perhaps constant updates without any information are the farthest things from their minds.

https://www.albertaprimetimes.com/beyond-local/passengers-stranded-on-cruise-ship-in-vancouver-after-tugboat-workers-strike-5753288

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, RichardRahl said:

They’re not marooned at sea! They’re docked at Canada Place. Why would conditions deteriorate? The tug is on strike, not the Eclipse.

Why do you have to be snarky? I did say I’m not familiar with ship operations in an attempt to avoid the snarky response. Are they allowed to dump sewage while in port? I suspect not and so what happens when that fills up? There may also be other things they can’t really operate effectively while sitting in port which may affect the comfort of those on board. If you are an expert in ship operations then maybe just answer the question without being snarky.

Edited by rangerette
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, rangerette said:

Why do you have to be snarky? I did say I’m not familiar with ship operations in an attempt to avoid the snarky response. Are they allowed to dump sewage while in port? I suspect not and so what happens when that fills up? There may also be other things they can’t really operate effectively while sitting in port. If you are an expert in ship operations then maybe just answer the question without being snarky.

Cruise ships don't "dump sewage" to begin with, they dump wastewater that isn't toxic or dirty. That being said, at any major port there are companies available that can take care of the content in these tanks.

Hopefully this whole matter is costing the ship a maximum of 24h (bad enough) because if it goes into two days then I can see passengers just leaving and asking for a full refund or rebook to the following week (alternatively Solstice from Seattle). This was exactly the reason why I booked the Seattle departure early on because Canada has become the wild west with their regulations and strikes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I stepped away from our living room window for a moment, but my husband said he just saw a tug and a barge in the vicinity of the port on the Eclipse side. And MarineTraffic shows the Trident Warrior tug right there. Maybe progress is being made?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OrcaGirl said:

I don't think the Eclipse is big enough to have its clearance under the bridge affected by the tides. That's usually only an issue for the larger ships that are based out of Seattle and very infrequently come to Vancouver, e.g. the NCL Bliss/Encore.

All ships have to account for the tide levels for clearance.  You would be surprised at the regulations.  All cruise ships have to take the tide into account.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OrcaGirl said:

I stepped away from our living room window for a moment, but my husband said he just saw a tug and a barge in the vicinity of the port on the Eclipse side. And MarineTraffic shows the Trident Warrior tug right there. Maybe progress is being made?

I have a webcam in my LR window and yes - there is some movement around the ship as it seems.

25 minutes ago, pete1681 said:

You can see the fuel barge in this pic,taken at @5 pm estimage.jpeg.dc0b49fdb57d6aa1b89cdb40cf6bcd50.jpeg

On what day? The fuel barge blocking the Eclipse was on the east berth, the Eclipse was facing the opposite direction, and currently has a dark blue hull (not white). The ship shown in the west berth in this picture isn't the Disney Wonder.

(Also, it looks like BC Place still has its old roof in that photo, which would put this image from 2010 or earlier.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Reminds me of the I was on the HAL Zuiderdam and it was surrounded by eco protesters in inflatable rafts and kayaks in Kiel, Germany, and was delayed by 8 hours or so. There was a lot of ugliness with pax cursing and taunting the people and calls for violence, which made me sad and ashamed and not want to cruise again for some time. Strikes are something to plan for and to make sure you have a Plan B, especially in European countries, or with protests, as with a cartel rampage in Baja Mexico recently, or simply with hurricane season approaching. Even last September I sailed to Alaska from Seattle on a beautiful Friday, but the Princess ship that left on Sunday had to spend the first night in Seattle because of severe storms off Vancouver Island. A HAL cruise I was on was delayed overnight by azipod damage, and there are all the ships underpowered in Alaska this summer because of damaged engines or hulls from lack of parts or ice damage. I regret skipping a Crown Princess cruise that included Glacier Bay, because the Princess people on here were having meltdowns because it skipped a port and had engine limitations, with people demanding compensation and refunds and the CEO's head on a platter (or maybe that was a different mob riot, perhaps when they stopped providing pillow chocolates). 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, OrcaGirl said:

On what day? The fuel barge blocking the Eclipse was on the east berth, the Eclipse was facing the opposite direction, and currently has a dark blue hull (not white). The ship shown in the west berth in this picture isn't the Disney Wonder.

(Also, it looks like BC Place still has its old roof in that photo, which would put this image from 2010 or earlier.)

The date on the webcam said today,must have been wrong sorry 

6 hours ago, rangerette said:

Why do you have to be snarky? I did say I’m not familiar with ship operations in an attempt to avoid the snarky response. Are they allowed to dump sewage while in port? I suspect not and so what happens when that fills up? There may also be other things they can’t really operate effectively while sitting in port which may affect the comfort of those on board. If you are an expert in ship operations then maybe just answer the question without being snarky.

Yeah, RichardRahl was a little unforgiving in his response. But not being familiar with ship operations doesn't mean your question wasn't entertaining 😅 I do have to admit I did a mild face palm when I read your post (and silkismom's asking about whether the WiFi was down). No accusations, but both of those posts did make me laugh. Sorry 😇  I'm sure RichardRahl got a slap on the wrist for his replies.

• Haha 1

On the other side of Canada Place from where the Eclipse was yesterday / this morning, the Disney Wonder has also been blocked from departing to Alaska. They were scheduled to depart at 5pm, and it's currently 6:52pm.

No ships scheduled for tomorrow, three for Wednesday, one for Thursday, and the Celebrity Millennium is supposed to be here on Friday. 😬

• Like 1