US Cash and remote port cash from front desk?

manteonc

We never have needed to ask for cash while onboard, but our upcoming trip is both extended and has some remote Pacific ports.  Can we get us dollars from the front desk?  Can we get currency for places like Samoa, Figi, New Guinea and others that accept cash only in the port?  thank you

1 hour ago, manteonc said:

We never have needed to ask for cash while onboard, but our upcoming trip is both extended and has some remote Pacific ports.  Can we get us dollars from the front desk?  Can we get currency for places like Samoa, Figi, New Guinea and others that accept cash only in the port?  thank you

Having traveled these routes on HAL previously, it's highly unlikely that you can get local currency for the small ports at the front desk.  Sometimes they'll bring on board a currency exchanger or you can find them at or near the port dock.  French francs are accepted in Noumea and the other currencies I just get when we get there.  For Australia and/or NZ, they might have those currencies on board, but again ATM's are widely available in those countries.

This month, HAL had Canadian dollars on board and could exchange my US$ when I forgot to visit an ATM before a "first thing in the morning" small group excursion for which I needed to pay cash directly to the driver. It turned out the Neptune Lounge concierge can do currency exchange as well as Guest Services, if you're booked in a suite.

We had six Canadian port visits, though, so not a rare currency at all.

There will be the ability to obtain US currency from the Front Desk.  In major ports, I would expect that the currency of that country will be available. Smaller ports, such as in the South Pacific?  I doubt it.  The US dollar will be accepted, I expect.  Otherwise, plan on using a credit card with no foreign currency fee.