Hotel in Santiago?

caledonmango

For our December cruise on Wind, the hotel in Santiago is still not indicated. Here's what it shows in My Silversea on the Details page:

image.thumb.png.0aac9a6b395e7d436b0fffe34d4d71f0.png

Perhaps passengers in upper tier suites get an elevated hotel, and that's the Ritz, while others get the "Simply" hotel, which may or may not be the MO?

For Punta Arenas for the Endeavour cruises, the SS website shows the Hotel Cabo de Hornos. So do you fly to Santiago, stay overnight, fly to Punta Arenas the next day, stay overnight, and then fly to Antarctica the next day? I didn't realize there were two overnight stays before flying to King George Island to board the ship.

It's now the 16th of September and I still do not know what hotel will be used in Santiago.  We booked directly with Silversea, and when I contacted the TA who booked the cruise, she replied it would either be the Mandarin or the RItz.  Since we booked our air on our own (lots of credits for cancelled covid trips we need to use up), we won't book extra nights through Silversea.  I've booked at a good price with the Mandarin, and I guess I will also book at the Ritz, and then just cancel one when we find out.  However, it is a bit frustrating, and this is our first cruise with Silversea.  We were also out a couple of thousand dollars in air upgrades when Silversea switched from Buenos Aires/Ushuaia to Santiago/Puerto Williams. (sigh)

1 hour ago, caledonmango said:

It's now the 16th of September and I still do not know what hotel will be used in Santiago.  We booked directly with Silversea, and when I contacted the TA who booked the cruise, she replied it would either be the Mandarin or the RItz.  Since we booked our air on our own (lots of credits for cancelled covid trips we need to use up), we won't book extra nights through Silversea.  I've booked at a good price with the Mandarin, and I guess I will also book at the Ritz, and then just cancel one when we find out.  However, it is a bit frustrating, and this is our first cruise with Silversea.  We were also out a couple of thousand dollars in air upgrades when Silversea switched from Buenos Aires/Ushuaia to Santiago/Puerto Williams. (sigh)

We also booked direct.  Our TA said it should be The Singular.  Guess nobody knows.

4 hours ago, caledonmango said:

We were also out a couple of thousand dollars in air upgrades when Silversea switched from Buenos Aires/Ushuaia to Santiago/Puerto Williams. (sigh)

Why?

If it is because you used a non-refundable ticket to get to Buenos Aires rather than into Santiago, you could have save those thousands easily.

You could have just taken a flight from EZE or AEP to Santiago - about $200 pp and not lost out.  Two hour flight, with at least 10 flights a day.

We booked economy seats with Delta using our credits, then were offered a cash upgrade to Business for the long-haul portion of our trip (Atlanta to Buenos Aires) for a decent price - considerably less than if we had booked our whole trip in Business.  When we had to change over to Santiago, we were able to get the credits we had used back to apply to Santiago, but the fine print says that cash upgrades are not eligible for refunds or changes.

However, I’m not faulting Delta. This will be the 4th time we’ve tried to fly with them. They’ve been the best airline out of 4 we’ve dealt with for Covid cancellation issues over the last couple of years.  I did look into just taking a flight from Buenos Aires to Santiago, but just felt 2 connection, both outbound and inbound, with lengthy layovers, and increased probability of lost luggage was worse than biting the bullet and taking the loss.

And we are really, really looking forward to this trip!

Unless you have experienced it yourself like we have. It took 45 days of telephoning, mailing and texting to finally get our luggage back after 45 days, not a nice experience, we had some really nice clothes Etc in there which of course we can replace however, it was a relief to get it back.

On 9/18/2022 at 5:53 AM, fudge said:

Unless you have experienced it yourself like we have. It took 45 days of telephoning, mailing and texting to finally get our luggage back after 45 days, not a nice experience, we had some really nice clothes Etc in there which of course we can replace however, it was a relief to get it back.

You beat me, British Airways "lost" my suitcase for only 35 days!!!  Actually they new where it was but they just couldnt get it to me.  I finally got it in New York and to this day they don't know where it is and apologizes occasionally for there mistake.  They did give me the maximum reimbursement for my clothes.

We are on The November 27th Silversea Cloud, and will be arriving in Santiago one day before, just in case we have issues with our flights. We still do not know what hotel Silversea will be using - the MO and Ritz Carlton both sound OK, maybe I should just go ahead and make a refundable booking at both!

I ended up making refundable bookings at the MO and the Ritz - with the US$ being so strong at the moment, the rates at both hotels were very good. However, knowing my luck, the $ will probably plunge just as it is time to pay for the booking. I do wish they would let us know well in advance!

I know this is off topic, but we are on the Dec 2 sailing, and no one has contacted us yet to pay the balance for the cruise. Have they sent you a bill yet?  I booked directly with Silverseas - first time cruising with them, but maybe using a TA would have been a better idea in retrospect.  I’ve reserved at the MO, but I guess I’d better book at the Ritz as well.  

2 hours ago, caledonmango said:

I know this is off topic, but we are on the Dec 2 sailing, and no one has contacted us yet to pay the balance for the cruise. Have they sent you a bill yet?  I booked directly with Silverseas - first time cruising with them, but maybe using a TA would have been a better idea in retrospect.  I’ve reserved at the MO, but I guess I’d better book at the Ritz as well.  

Our cruise is Dec 16 and our final payment is due Oct 2. I'm guessing yours would be earlier?

On 9/28/2022 at 9:56 PM, caledonmango said:

I did’t receive a single email or call as a reminder.  Thankfully I put the date in my calendar.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/1/2022 at 11:27 AM, Rothko1 said:

It's both on the My Silversea page that I have, under Bookings and "Details", and my Voyage Confirmation that was sent to me from my TA which she got from SS.

The hotel in Punta Arenas is still listed as a "Silversea Hotel", so I don't know what that is.  But the Santiago hotel is definitely listed as the Ritz.

I'm going on the Air Bridge trip.

Hi, I am on the same cruise as Rothko1 in February 20123. Silverseas populated My Silverseas with the Mandarin Oriental for Santiago (pre cruise) and Cabo de Hornos in Puenta Arenas (pre and post cruise). We are on the post cruise Patagonia 4 night excursion. The details have not been populated yet but the post cruise information outlines Singulair Patagonia for 3 nights and Singulair Santiago for the remaining night (we shall see).

• Like 2