Pompeii On Our Own Question

JimmyVWine

We are planning a self-guided trip to Pompeii and for planning purposes, I'd like to know if the tickets allow in and out access.  I am trying to figure out if we can visit, leave the park for lunch, and then return.  I understand that Pompeii can be visited all before lunch if one gets there early enough, but I will be accompanied by my "Masters Degree in Classical Archaeology" daughter on this trip and I know that she will want to spend waaaaaaay more time at Pompeii than the typical visitor.  I have searched and searched and cannot find the answer.  Hoping that one of you knowledgeable folks might know that answer or have a contact who might know.  Thanks.   

Good question, I wish I had an answer for you.  I read through the visitor services info, the regulations for visitors, and the service charter and none of them mention in.

Best I can offer is the email address for the tourist information office of the excavations, try asking them:  pompei.info@cultura.gov.it

For what it's worth, the cafe within the site is pretty good.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Thanks 1

Once upon a time (about 10 years ago) we did just what the OP describes with no problem.  But now we move ahead a decade and rules are constantly changing.  I think the only wise answer is that you will need to check at the entrance to learn the current rules and procedures.  You can certainly follow Euro's advice and send an e-mail, but you should still check at the entrance to be sure!

Hank

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

I read through the visitor services info, the regulations for visitors, and the service charter and none of them mention in.

30 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I think the only wise answer is that you will need to check at the entrance to learn the current rules and procedures.

Thank you both for your thoughts.  I will send an email and report back.

Several years ago when I was seeing Pompeii with a friend, we were allowed an "in and out" access but we also had pre-reserved a time (relatively late) to visit a specific house that was open by appointment only, so having that special ticket may have had a bearing on the decision to let us back in.

Also, when I was on a special full-day archaeological tour, they gave us wristbands and we were allowed to leave and come back after lunch. Not sure if that was only because we had group tickets or....

At any rate, I might suggest that you consider eating at the online cafeteria anyway -- going off site, finding a place to eat (service is never exactly rapid) and getting back onsite will take a fair chunk of time.  (Said by someone who loves Pompeii and has probably spent the equivalent of 10 days on the site over many years.)

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Thank you both for your thoughts.  I will send an email and report back.

I will also add that the folks who answer the phones at the site (and presumably answer emails) have been more than helpful. Sometimes I have bugged them several times a week before a visit, asking them to tell me which houses are open on a specific day, trying to figure out if there is any pattern. They were very good-natured with my stilted Italian and patient with my highly specific questions.

(Not to worry -- in the last couple of years, the onsite staff are able to open many more houses on a regular basis. No real need anymore for special reservations.)

• Thanks 1

I sent an email to the address provided by euro cruiser and received a response that there are no in and out privileges allowed with the single day ticket. To leave and return you must have an annual pass or purchase a second ticket. So I guess we will be having lunch on site. 

• Like 1