Best Western Plus San Pedro closed

Wildcatllamas

Just a heads up to anyone who may have booked this hotel they are now closed. Based on recommendations from other friends a friend and I had them booked for our cruise in October and she called to confirm our reservations on Thursday. imagine the shock to find out that they are closed permanently. So we have now booked a hotel close to LAX and will Uber to the port the next morning. 

Edited by Wildcatllamas
misspelled word

49 minutes ago, Ashland said:

No shock there. Have you considered DoubleTree or Crown Plaza San Pedro? Two very highly recommended hotels when cruising out of San Pedro.

Personally I would avoid anything too near LAX.

We did but Crown Plaza is sold out and DoubleTree is almost $700 a night. My friend booked the hotel because she is high member with Best Western and it was $50 cheaper then the DoubleTree (where I normally stay at). We are now staying at the Sheraton (aka Marriott) Gateway right there at the airport. Once again she booked it so guess we will see.

• 2 months later...

Wow.  They closed a week after I booked our three rooms and didn't bother telling anyone who had reservations.  Not cool, Best Western. We had three rooms plus parking booked for our Christmas cruise.  I have no idea even where to look now that we are so close.
When I made the reservation they took our payment.  Anyone know how that is being handled?

Look at the Doubletree or Crowne Plaza in San Pedro...both have parking as well...If not one of those, you are looking at staying somewhere away from the port--Downtown Long Beach, perhaps--Torrance (the Del Amo Mall area), maybe Redondo Beach...If staying in other than San Pedro, consider just driving to the pier and parking there.  Good luck.

As to the prepaid charges, don't wait for them to do something.  Contact your credit card company immediately and dispute the charges.  They should remove them from your bill and they'll try to contact the vendor--and the vendor won't be able to justify them.

One other thought...Best Western is not a great company to try to work with...hotels are not company owned, merely franchises, AFAIK...but, you might try contacting them and see if they'll work with you ...Here is what I'd ask for:  That they give you rooms at another hotel--Long Beach "BW Plus" at the Convention Center on 1st St. or one of their hotels in Redondo or Manhattan Beach (and definitely NOT the BW in Wilmington)...and they should throw in free parking for the duration of the cruise and pay for your Uber/Lyft or limo from the hotel to the pier and return. And at the same price you paid...and up to them to recoup those funds from the folks who ran that San Pedro franchise.  Worth a try. 

Edited by Bruin Steve

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2022 at 1:10 AM, SpotlightCruising said:

Wow.  They closed a week after I booked our three rooms and didn't bother telling anyone who had reservations.  Not cool, Best Western. We had three rooms plus parking booked for our Christmas cruise.  I have no idea even where to look now that we are so close.
When I made the reservation they took our payment.  Anyone know how that is being handled?

I am booked there for March and just found out they closed down.  I called Best Western's main number and was told I had to contact the "new owner".  Our rate was also prepaid.  The "new owner" from what I read on line....is a going to be a  homeless shelter.

On 11/30/2022 at 5:10 PM, scrappycat2 said:

I am booked there for March and just found out they closed down.  I called Best Western's main number and was told I had to contact the "new owner".  Our rate was also prepaid.  The "new owner" from what I read on line....is a going to be a  homeless shelter.

The new owners are the County of Los Angeles and Volunteers of America who will have temporary housing for homeless veterans.

I am sure they'd tell you to contact the old owners, since that is who received your money. Be prepared to call Mumbai.

Another path might be to contact your credit card company and challenge the charge.  You didn't rweceive the value for which you paid...and most credit card issuers have a process for mediating such charges...They will notify the company that received the money and ask for them to justify it--something they will not be able to do.  If they are still around (some hotel franchisees have more than one property), the bank can deduct the amount from money going to the company and credit your account.  If the owner has gone out of business completely, it might get interesting, but your credit card issuer may still give you the credit.

• Like 1

To those that booked. Did you book directly with the property or BW's website?

If through BW's website, telling you to contact the owners is 💩

BW's gonna have some 'splaining to do since they're the ones who took your money.