Partner dancing on Royal Carribean

LetsBoogie

Hi Cruisers! My husband and I are thinking of a short cruise on Freedom of the Seas. We both love partner dancing: salsa, hustle, swing, etc. I see that there is a salsa club, so that's cool. We would love to dance other styles as well.  Have any other dancers taken this cruise and found some good dance spots or bands on the ship? We would love to find some Frank Sinatra/Michael Buble type music--does that even exist here? Do you think anyone else would dance or would we be the only ones? Or, have any others dance lovers found a short cruise on a different line that's better for this. I truly appreciate your guidance!!!!!!!

Celebrity has better live band dance music - I.e. East Coast Swing, West Coast Swing, Cha Cha, Waltz, Foxtrot, Rumba etc etc. 

This said, the Oasis class ships have more dance venues than other RCI ships. Salsa, Bachata, Bolero are offered in Boleros and the Dance Halls offer hustle and swing.

I remember there was more line dancing on Freedom than anything else. At times there are disco dance parties where you can dance hustle. 

Royal do not keep kids off the floors. They run around you while you are dancing. There parents just sit back and let them go. It is bad when one is out there 2 or more will be there. Parents need to keep them off or real try and dance with them instead of it being a gym floor.The disco kid are not allowed.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, trippintex said:

Royal do not keep kids off the floors. They run around you while you are dancing. There parents just sit back and let them go. It is bad when one is out there 2 or more will be there. Parents need to keep them off or real try and dance with them instead of it being a gym floor.The disco kid are not allowed.

Good point. There are definitely more kids on Royal than Celebrity.

We started on Royal for the dancing-partner. It is mostly gone-with the exception of Latin. Freedom class does have a Boleros for latin-you will not be the only ones there. The rest of the ship is pretty hard to find danceable music. The live bands tend to be more modern rock and will not fit your needs. A better alternative is Princess-way better venues and music for dancing. We have gone on several of their ships and make a serious effort to have wood dance floors and music. Royal? Good luck. 

• 2 weeks later...

Dancing also varies a little by ship.  We are dancers and carefully inspect the daily programs to find indications of dance music and venues.   I think the Cruise Director has a little leeway on where to put the bands and they sometimes they have bands that will play dance music.  And ships may have a Boleros or put on a pre-recorded session.     https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-compass

On 9/3/2022 at 10:51 AM, LetsBoogie said:

Hi Cruisers! My husband and I are thinking of a short cruise on Freedom of the Seas. We both love partner dancing: salsa, hustle, swing, etc. I see that there is a salsa club, so that's cool. We would love to dance other styles as well.  Have any other dancers taken this cruise and found some good dance spots or bands on the ship? We would love to find some Frank Sinatra/Michael Buble type music--does that even exist here? Do you think anyone else would dance or would we be the only ones? Or, have any others dance lovers found a short cruise on a different line that's better for this. I truly appreciate your guidance!!!!!!!

Our .02 on this:  The best ballroom dancing is on Cunard.  Every ship (so far) has a ballroom and orchestra.  The problem- crowding.   The two smallest ships on HAL still have an Ocean Bar and small dance floor.  RCCL- they usually have a Boleros- but this can be serious Latin- so Bachata, Salsa, etc.  I remember on the Vision- the house orchestra played a foxtrot in the lobby for us.   Carnival- very hit and miss.  If you can find band and a dance floor on the same ship you are lucky.  Princess- possibly good.  Celebrity- the Constellation had a nice pre-dinner dance most nights.  NCL- ship dependent.  The big new ships have a Manhattan Room- these had a dance floor and band- but was mostly covered with tables and had a lot of kids out on the floor.  There are not a lot of dancers on many other lines except  Cunard.   This is a bit of a cart and horse for the lines- do you have a band that plays to furniture, or do you fill the old dance venue to overflowing for comedy or blues.