Specialty Restaurant Pricing Out Of Control

bigeagle12

On 9/19/2022 at 7:33 PM, taglovestocruise said:

Our son just came back from lunch with his daughter. They ate in the touristy Old Town part of our city. 

Two burgers, one coke, two beers, tip and tax..... $81.55.  Prices are leaving crazy town and heading straight up. 

Some people will pay it. 

I won't because I can easily make a better burger, know everything that goes in to the meal, for dramaticallyless.

Honestly very few restaurants do I ever leave and think I couldn't make the food better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moltar said:

I agree 1 million percent with Ret MP. No way in hell would I ever cruise Carnival. Cheaper cruises equal......

Another Large Brawl Erupts on Carnival Cruise Ship | Cruise Law News

You do know Royal has had their share of fights?  I was onboard for one of them 15 years ago.  Here is a recent one https://crew-center.com/brawl-breaks-out-navigator-seashttps://crew-center.com/brawl-breaks-out-navigator-seas

I am Diamond on Royal and love sailing them but have to laugh when people think they are any better than cruisers on any other line 🙄

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, bigeagle12 said:

You do know Royal has had their share of fights?  I was onboard for one of them 15 years ago.  Here is a recent one https://crew-center.com/brawl-breaks-out-navigator-seashttps://crew-center.com/brawl-breaks-out-navigator-seas

I am Diamond on Royal and love sailing them but have to laugh when people think they are any better than cruisers on any other line 🙄

Like I said cheaper cruises equals…. 

it was a three or four night cruise which is cheap you’ll never catch me on a cheap cruise because the crowd usually ain’t my type of crowd. Carnival is cheap even on a seven night so I would never ever ever ever sail Carnival

Edited by Moltar
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, bigeagle12 said:

I was referring to quality of the up charge services .. they are way over priced for value received.  And Royal charges way more for the up charges than other cruise lines. 

Oooooookaaaaaaay!  

But, if people are paying the upcharge, it must be something good enough that people are willing to pay for it.  If it wasn't, Royal wouldn't have any choice but to lower the price.  Any business that prices themselves to high will slowly reduce their prices until they get back to their consistent and acceptable level of patronage.  If they don't, well look no further than Chi Chi's, and others that I can't think of their names of right now.  IHOP is suffering in many market locations because of crappy service and way overpriced for that market.  The one in Avon, Indiana shut down last year because of that.  So, as of right now, I don't think Royal is too concerned about Chops or Jamie's being overpriced, they seem to be doing fine.  However, on my last cruise in May on the Ovation and a cruise a year or so before COVID on Symphony, Wonderland seemed to be empty or close to it every time we went by it, yet all other specialty restaurants were consistently full.  

JMHO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigeagle12 said:

Interesting that you laugh when people think they are better than others yet you mentioned you were Diamond in your post. 🙂

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Interesting that you laugh when people think they are better than others yet you mentioned you were Diamond in your post. 🙂

And you put Carnival Platinum in your signature 🤣🤣🤣

I referenced Diamond just to show that just because I have cruised Royal a lot doesn’t mean I think they are the best or do everything right.  I have not drank the koolaid from any single cruise line.  

1 hour ago, bigeagle12 said:

And you put Carnival Platinum in your signature 🤣🤣🤣

I referenced Diamond just to show that just because I have cruised Royal a lot doesn’t mean I think they are the best or do everything right.  I have not drank the koolaid from any single cruise line.  

I need to figure out how to update my signature. I haven’t cruised on Carnival for several years and have no plans to cruise on Carnival again. I enjoyed my cruises on Carnival but I think I just out grew them (another way to say I am getting older). Lately I have stuck to cruising only on RCI and Celebrity. 

6 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I need to figure out how to update my signature. I haven’t cruised on Carnival for several years and have no plans to cruise on Carnival again. I enjoyed my cruises on Carnival but I think I just out grew them (another way to say I am getting older). Lately I have stuck to cruising only on RCI and Celebrity. 

Click on your name at the top of the page:

image.thumb.png.2c535e5d532c131340c929e0b7292b42.png

Now select "Account Settings":

image.png.a745ed5b5d8bc1467911610de751d258.png

Choose "Signature" then edit it in the text box:

image.thumb.png.c2004e0fa3e9689f1cc9c21df03c0edd.png

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2022 at 12:28 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

From my experience lately speciality restaurants have been very crowded on every ship/restaurant we have been to, so if anything the prices for speciality restaurants may be too low. 

That works for me because it clears out some of the people from the MDR.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Guys is also a chain, not only on ships 

Technically true.  However, there are only two locations in the U.S.A. other than boarding a Carnival Cruise ship.  And about ~ 7 other locations throughout the world. 

https://www.guyfieri.com/eat-at-guys/guys-burger-joint

On the other hand, Johnny Rocket's is like a true chain, all over the place. 

Type in just about any major city in the U.S.A. and you're likely to find at least one.  They are also international.  

https://locations.johnnyrockets.com/

I'm a big fan of JRs and really don't care much for Guy's.  Guy's hamburgers are good, but, in my opinion, not as good as JRs. 

Also, at least on Royal's ships that have it, JRs is a sit down restaurant not buffet style, has great milkshakes, most other soft drinks, is open most of the day, not just for lunch like Guy's, and has fries, tots, onion rings, chili cheese fries (my favorite) and so much more.   I'll pay the upcharge.  

As usual, YMMV and JMHO

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Technically true.  However, there are only two locations in the U.S.A. other than boarding a Carnival Cruise ship.  And about ~ 7 other locations throughout the world. 

Type in just about any major city in the U.S.A. and you're likely to find at least one.  They are also international.  

I'm a big fan of JRs and really don't care much for Guy's.  Guy's hamburgers are good, but, in my opinion, not as good as JRs. 

Also, at least on Royal's ships that have it, JRs is a sit down restaurant not buffet style, has great milkshakes, most other soft drinks, is open most of the day, not just for lunch like Guy's, and has fries, tots, onion rings, chili cheese fries (my favorite) and so much more.   I'll pay the upcharge.  

As usual, YMMV and JMHO

Guy’s is open noon to 6.  They also have fries, chili, and onion rings.  And the burgers are far superior to JR’s IMHO 🙂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

As usual, YMMV and JMHO

I've never had a Guy's burger, so I can't give an opinion, but I thought Johnny Rocket's was "Just OK".  They are a nice option on the cruise for when you just want a simple cooked-to-order burger.   The land-0based restaurants were very busy when they first opened, but after years of neglect, they became so filthy and in such disrepair, I wouldn't eat there.  And apparently no one else would, either, as all the ones in Alabama closed. 

My favorite "fast food" burger is Five Guys, but if I want a really great burger, I go to a place called Mugshots.  It's a small chain of sports-pubs out of Mississippi.  Best burger I've ever had.  

2 minutes ago, rudeney said:

I've never had a Guy's burger, so I can't give an opinion, but I thought Johnny Rocket's was "Just OK".  They are a nice option on the cruise for when you just want a simple cooked-to-order burger.   The land-0based restaurants were very busy when they first opened, but after years of neglect, they became so filthy and in such disrepair, I wouldn't eat there.  And apparently no one else would, either, as all the ones in Alabama closed. 

My favorite "fast food" burger is Five Guys, but if I want a really great burger, I go to a place called Mugshots.  It's a small chain of sports-pubs out of Mississippi.  Best burger I've ever had.  

I like Five Guy’s too.  Went there last week had a regular cheeseburger, small fry, and a small coke .. $20.  That may have been my last visit 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, bigeagle12 said:

Guy’s is open noon to 6.  They also have fries, chili, and onion rings.  And the burgers are far superior to JR’s IMHO 🙂

I never said Guy's didn't have Fries, Chili or onion rings.  My point is that JRs has all the above and more.  As I remember it, Guy's wasn't open everyday either.  That was a long time ago and my memory may be flawed.  Also, Carnival's own website only says that Guy's is open for lunch:

image.thumb.png.ee6e74c4fbf4598a8bf29e00a840b179.png

And as far as being a superior hamburger, as you stated, IYourHO

• Like 1