Excursion to Paris; minimal walking

GMaCarolK

We are taking a TA in April, 2023 and will have a stop in Le Havre.  Neither of us has been to Paris, and this is probably our only opportunity. My initial thought is to use the cruise-sponsored transportation to/from Paris, then take a TukTuk tour of the city. We cannot do a lot of walking.  Any thoughts?  Or recommendations for a private tour?

I know this is not ideal but spending several days is not an option. We are not handicapped but experience pain when walking very long. We need a tour that limits “feet time.”  Any guidance will be very much appreciated!  

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

One possibility is to take the cruise line transportation to Paris and then simply get on one of the Hop On Hop Off bus tours.

Hank

We enjoy HOHO tours. Just concerned about being in such a large city and getting back on time to the meeting place for transportation to the port.  We are skittish travelers.  

On 9/4/2022 at 4:22 PM, carlmm said:

Does the cruiseline offer a panoramic tour of Paris? That would be the most simple, least walking option.

Alternatively you could take one of the hop on hop off tours if the drop off point is close by.

A tour by the cruise line does seem to be the easiest option.  Thanks for your input 

1 hour ago, GMaCarolK said:

We enjoy HOHO tours. Just concerned about being in such a large city and getting back on time to the meeting place for transportation to the port.  We are skittish travelers.  

Learned decades ago that when cruisers have that kind of fear they should always take a cruise line excursion, for better or worse.  So you really do not need much advice here since your options are very limited.

Hank

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Learned decades ago that when cruisers have that kind of fear they should always take a cruise line excursion, for better or worse.  So you really do not need much advice here since your options are very limited.

Hank

Thanks, Hank. I did book a tour offered by the cruise line.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2022 at 10:13 AM, Hlitner said:

One possibility is to take the cruise line transportation to Paris and then simply get on one of the Hop On Hop Off bus tours.

Are there different HOHO bus routes, which is best?  We will be in Paris for few days prior to a river cruise and staying in Saint Germain District.  We fly all night from IAH and get in around 8:30 AM.  Plan is to drop luggage at hotel and do a HOHO.  

9 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Are there different HOHO bus routes, which is best?  We will be in Paris for few days prior to a river cruise and staying in Saint Germain District.  We fly all night from IAH and get in around 8:30 AM.  Plan is to drop luggage at hotel and do a HOHO.  

I am no expert when it comes to HoHo's since DW and I prefer to do our own thing using our feet and the Metro.  But I do know there are several different routes and there might also be more than one company (perhaps somebody will jump in with details).   There are also boat rides (on the Seine) which can also be a good option.  The Big Bus Classic Route seems pretty typical for a route that covers the more central part of Paris.  There are other routes that go to other areas such as Montmartre.   

Keep in mind that using a HoHo (or any bus) means spending a lot of time viewing the city through a bus window (or from an open deck).  While this makes sense for folks with mobility issues, we think it is not the best way to enjoy Paris.  We like to be walking because it gives us the ability to browse windows and shops, smell the bakeries and cafes, and soak up the atmosphere that can only be accomplished on foot.  With a HoHo you can certainly get off the bus at a few stops and walk (within your limitations) but that means losing time as you wait for the next bus.   One can certainly ride down the Rue de Rivoli as the narration says "On your right is the Louvre" but that is not the same as actually visiting the Louvre.   A problem with a port day in a big city is that, at best, you get a very brief snapshot rather than an in depth visit.

Hank

23 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I am no expert when it comes to HoHo's since DW and I prefer to do our own thing using our feet and the Metro.  A problem with a port day in a big city is that, at best, you get a very brief snapshot rather than an in depth visit.

We usually do our own thing and we certainly plan to do that during the next several days we have in Paris.  The night river cruise on the Seine being top of the list and visiting the Louvre being another. But many "expert" travelers suggest doing a HOHO your first day to get an overall feel for the city.  Plus, I figured it would be a good way to get over the jet lag since we probably won't be able to get into our hotel rooms until later in the day.  

55 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

We usually do our own thing and we certainly plan to do that during the next several days we have in Paris.  The night river cruise on the Seine being top of the list and visiting the Louvre being another. But many "expert" travelers suggest doing a HOHO your first day to get an overall feel for the city.  Plus, I figured it would be a good way to get over the jet lag since we probably won't be able to get into our hotel rooms until later in the day.  

Keep in mind that my post was in response to a poster who indicated they have mobility limitations.  Otherwise, we would be among the last folks on earth to ever recommend a HoHo.  I disagree with the "experts" that a HoHo gives one a "feel" for a city.  To get a "feel" you need to feel the pulse which can only be done on foot where you experience the sights, sounds, smells, noise, etc.  This being said, I do understand that many folks love HoHo's and think its an excellent way to see cities.  From our perspective it is almost a last resort kind of thing because as long as we can walk, and use public transit as a supplement, that is our ideal way of exploration.   I cannot imagine driving past Angelina's without stopping for a cafe au lait and pastry!  I still recall walking out of this cafe, on a gorgeous day, and seeing a tour bus slowly moving in the traffic with dozens of noses pressed up against the sealed windows looking out at Angelina's and the nearby shops.  I am sure their tour guide was telling them a little of the history and fame of this particular pastry cafe.  But inside their bus they could not smell the wonderful odors, see the exceptional displays, sample of coffee, etc. Of course they could go home and tell their friends they drove along the Rue de Rivoli, saw the Louvre, Angelinas, Orangerie, etc.   Just not our style.

As to visiting the Louvre, we are talking about walking miles and needing many hours/days to even sample the treasures that lie inside this museum.  When DD was 8 we took her on her first visit to Paris.  She was interested in art so we went in the Louvre and managed to get her to the Mona Lisa, Venus de Milo,  and the Winged Victory....all in about 30 minutes (we had to walk fast).  That was about right for an eight-year-old but broke my heart being inside and not being able to take the time to explore (at least) a few rooms.

Hank

Hank

28 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Keep in mind that my post was in response to a poster who indicated they have mobility limitations. 

Your response was directed at my question about best HoHo routes.  Sorry, if you didn't realize I hijacked the OP.  It's clear you have vast experience visiting Paris, probably more than anybody in this thread.  This will be our first visit and sadly only three days there before we must move on to Lyon to catch our river cruise.  As unadvisable as it might be, we have to cram in as much as possible in a short time as we never know when we might be able to get back.  There's so much to see in the World and so little time.   

On 9/27/2022 at 7:12 PM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

We usually do our own thing and we certainly plan to do that during the next several days we have in Paris.  The night river cruise on the Seine being top of the list and visiting the Louvre being another. But many "expert" travelers suggest doing a HOHO your first day to get an overall feel for the city.

They're not necessarily wrong about HoHo's in terms of getting a feel for a city, but I think it's most helpful for certain cities, particularly those that have many sections that aren't necessarily connected in any particular way. Paris is very well connected, by design: look at it on a map (with the arronidissments noted) and observe that they are arranged in order, clockwise, crossing the river from the Right Bank (where the 1st arr is, in central paris) jumping the Seine to start at the 5th, on the Left Bank, and then crossing the river again to start the 8th, etc etc.

It's also not very big. You would spend most of your time exploring the inner circle of the city, though by all means, be ambitious, especially if you're DIY. That's why the best way to do Paris is a combo of walking, metro, or even renting a bicycle. (Maybe a bus, but Paris also can be notorious for traffic depending on the day and time) Another HoHo issue is that the buses cannot fit down many of the smaller (and more curious, picturesque, pedestrian/tiny car/scooter only) streets of Paris. They do the grander boulevards, which are worth seeing, but you really want to dig into les quartiers... the neighborhoods.

If it were me, when I arrive I would check in, if it's time to eat, ask for a recommendation from the concierge (or folks at the desk, who know the area well) in a near-ish place so you can have a nice walk, maybe with an alternate route back. Get an unlimited transit pass while you're out. Walk by the river, maybe take the Seine cruise (and take another at night, yes it's lovely) because it slices through the city, in itself, a great overview.

Or, depending on where you're staying, just park yourselves in another cafe and people watch somewhere splendid, swing by the Louvre and walk along rue de Rivoli or pop into the Tuileries, on the Champs Elysées, Boulevard St Michel, Boulevard St Germain, or go to Champs du Mars and relax for a while. Walking from Place d'Etoile to Place de la Concorde is a stroll, but if your lodging is somewhere along the way, it's lovely. Just ideas for previews.

If you have 3-4 days or more in Paris, you will have enough time to take in museums, gardens, see monuments, parks, shops, whatever it is you're interested in but keep in mind that no one can see everything. People miss things when trying to do too much. It's such a beautiful city with architecture, history, atmosphere, all around you. Make room for some random things and let the DIY spirit set you free. Oh and with Notre Dame still being renovated, consider visiting Saint Chappelle instead, but you want sunlight for that. (I know there's Sacre Coeur, but the stained glass and concerts get overlooked)...

Anyway... pace yourself, but stick to the ground on day 1, Paris is quite manageable. Have a lovely time. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In Paris, there is also a HOHO Boat.  We bought a two day ticket as the boat stopped about five minutes from our hotel.  On day one, we rode the boat and just enjoyed the scenery.  On the second day, we picked our stops to get off and explore. 

• Like 1