Malta with a 5k passenger ship in port

We are sailing on a small ship, and one of my most excited about ports is visiting Malta. I just looked at cruise mapper, and aside from us a huge 5k passenger ship will be in port. Having not been before, I am not sure how that will impact this geographic area although impact it will. I am also wondering what we might want to book in advance, and any advice/suggestions. Thank you 

• Like 1

We aren’t fans of cruise tours. We are more private or diy. I am really not wanting a private tour all day as we like to explore on our own, so I agree with you. Thank you. Whatever we book, we should do now. Just wondering what we should book private that we shouldn’t miss. The good news is that mega ship sails at 5:00, and we are there until 1100, so after about 3;00 we should see some relief. 

You can spend all day walking around Valletta itself and visiting the churches and museums there. 5K sounds a lot but is just in top of the thousands of tourists who are there on land based vacations. Thus, yes, get all the prebooked time slots you  can get.

Will both ships arrive at the same time? When you explore on your own, there is a convenient elevator from the pier to the town where long lines might occur if many try to start the day at the same time.

10 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

We aren’t fans of cruise tours. We are more private or diy. I am really not wanting a private tour all day as we like to explore on our own, so I agree with you. Thank you. Whatever we book, we should do now. Just wondering what we should book private that we shouldn’t miss. The good news is that mega ship sails at 5:00, and we are there until 1100, so after about 3;00 we should see some relief. 

Shouldn't miss Valletta, Mdina and Hagar Qim.

I recommend this company:

http://www.guidedtoursmalta.com/

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

Before you even dock in Valetta, do be on deck for the wonderful sail-in to the Grand Harbour.  IMHO it is one of the most impressive sail-ins anywhere.

For magnificent views of the Grand Harbour from on high, take a right as you exit the port, walk along until you see the entrance to the lift on the opposite side, take the lift up (was 1euro pp, free to come down) to the Brarrakka Gardens at street level. There will be internet reviews of the gardens.

We have visited Malta a number of times and the number of ships in that day varied, but there were usually around 4.  Have no idea what actual pax numbers were, but we never experienced any crowding issues on any visit.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is really encouraging to read these comments. Thank you for the perspectives. We are really looking forward to this visit and also grateful that we have an extended day. I am thinking from other feedback that it sounds like heading to Mdina first might be the plan, then onto other sites. It will be a long day, so I feel less concerned than initially when I saw the other larger ship in port. I really do thank you all. 

• 4 weeks later...

I may have already replied to you, on Mdina.  But in any case, we (on one of Oceania's smaller ships) were in port with a large Norwegian ship and one of Viking's ships.  I'm quite independent so didn't plan anything.  But the taxis, if nothing else, were there.  And so was the town, crowded or not.  There was no wait at the tall lift up top to look down on the harbor, and things didn't seem too terribly stuffed.  

I agree that you should be up for the cruise into the harbor, especially if the sun is out.  And cruising out after dark was kind of nice for us, as there were lights on lots of the ramparts. Enjoy whatever you do.  I still haven't visited the other little areas around there by ferry, or some of the other fun things to do.  And walking along by the ship was fun, inside the gate of the port -- a few restaurants along a promenade of sorts.  

• Thanks 1

Thank you for this further information. We have secured a guide for the day and will play by ear how long we engage vs DIY. We generally are independent, but having a specific person to take us to the main areas before exploring on our own, at least at this point, seems like a decent plan. 

We are really looking forward to this port and will be sure to be up and out for the sail in!

• Like 1