Observations about Splendor

On 9/15/2022 at 9:59 PM, NCCruzQueen said:

Latest update on our next segment, Splendor round trip beginning September 17th. This letter was on our bed this evening.

34B65D79-F997-4746-A75C-F59F242712C2.jpeg

We were looking forward to the fancy brunch on a Sunday sea day.  Instead we’ll have a day in a port we know nothing about and will have to scramble to find something to do.  Anyone know what are the interesting tours out of La Havre?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, loriva said:

We were looking forward to the fancy brunch on a Sunday sea day.  Instead we’ll have a day in a port we know nothing about and will have to scramble to find something to do.  Anyone know what are the interesting tours out of La Havre?

@loriva,  as I remember, Le Havre has a lovely harbor in the small, quaint downtown area and it’s quite nice to walk around.

On 9/16/2022 at 10:49 PM, wishIweretravelling said:

Another quirky little difference: laundry tags. They use a different style on Splendor, and they are MUCH harder to get off. And have harder corners to dig into the skin if you leave them on.

Yeah, I’m in a grumpy mood this morning.  

So funny you mention the Splendor laundry tags! I hated them too. That's why I mentioned somewhere that on the Navigator last month the tags were delightfully easy to take out! Maybe Navigator laundry team can share their secret with Splendor laundry team. The tags were identical.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 5:49 AM, papaflamingo said:

I haven't been to La Havre, but I believe it's about 1.5 hours to the D-Day Beaches at Normandy.  If the ship doesn't offer a tour, and you've never been, you can look at a third party tour, but Normandy is one place everyone needs to visit at least once.

We did Normandy from La Havre and it was one of the most poignant tours we have ever done.  (Not on Regent, but on a main-stream line.)  We were looking down at the beaches from the hill and I thought I could NOT envision being at the beach looking up and having the courage to storm that hill while being fired upon.  It brought tears to my eyes.  And the rows upon rows of crosses at the Cemetery were both heart-wrenching and beautiful.  We have been to Arlington National Cemetery and I have to say that France did an exceptional job of keeping things immaculate; even more so than Arlington.  Certainly worth a visit!

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2022 at 8:35 AM, wishIweretravelling said:

—the walls’ magnetic attraction isn’t strong enough for a magnet to stay, except in a small area around the beds.

A slight clarification on Beth's observation.  It depends on the kind of magnets you use.  A magnet you would put on a refrigerator would--as Beth noted--work only on the small walls surrounding the bed.

We took along some stronger magnets--rated to hold 25 pounds of weight--on our Splendor cruise in September.  They worked on all of the walls, including the ones by the desk where we like to post the itinerary, invitations, and other reminders.

I think it is the wall covering Regent uses.  It is textured, which seems to reduce the ability of magnets to stick to the metal under the covering.  A stronger magnet does the trick, however.

• Like 1